"11/22/63" Hulu mini-series

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by dirwuf, Mar 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dirwuf

dirwuf Misplaced Chicagoan Thread Starter

MikeInFla and applecakes like this.
  2. applecakes

applecakes viva la vinyl

Love love loved the book. Glad it's getting a great director and lead. It will be perfect as a mini series. Can't wait to see the diner on screen.

MikeInFla likes this.
  3. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

Enjoyed the book and happy to read this is being made.

MikeInFla likes this.
  4. dirwuf

Just to clarify...Abrams is producing, not directing.

5. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I could see Franco in the lead role as the high school teacher. I just hope this is truly a mini series with a finite end, as opposed to Under the Dome, where they're dragging the F'in' story out forever...

MikeInFla, vegafleet and hanleyp like this.
  6. dirwuf

7. vegafleet

vegafleet Forum Resident

The Dome is everything done wrong. You can have a fantasy sci-fi setting and still make a good show/movie. I hope they do much better than the vomit that is The Dome. This material deserves better.

Vidiot likes this.
  8. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

I have a feeling this will be done right. First of all, it's a better novel than Under the Dome, but more importantly it will not be on a major TV network but on an online service hopefully looking to make a statement that they can produce programming as good as AMC, HBO or Netflix.

Vidiot likes this.
  9. applecakes

applecakes viva la vinyl

10. applecakes

applecakes viva la vinyl

Another actor has joined

http://deadline.com/2015/06/nick-searcy-cast-11-22-63-hulu-justified-1201437657/

Justified alum Nick Searcy has joined the cast of Hulu original event series 11/22/63, from J.J. Abrams’ Bad Robot Productions and author Stephen King. Adapted for television by Bridget Carpenter (The Red Road), 11/22/63 centers on Jake Epping (James Franco), an unassuming divorced English teacher who stumbles upon a time portal that leads to September 9, 1958, and goes on a quest to prevent the assassination of John F. Kennedy, which occurred on November 22, 1963. But his mission is threatened by Lee Harvey Oswald, his falling in love and the past itself — which doesn’t want to be changed.

Searcy, repped by APA, Haven Entertainment and attorney Todd Rubenstein, will play Deke Simmons, the principal of Jodie High School in small-town 1960s Texas, Deke is Jake Epping’s (Franco) boss in Jake’s cover life. A rangy big-hearted Texan who’s ahead of his time, Deke’s support will prove invaluable if Jake is to survive his incredible mission. Searcy recently wrapped the sixth and final season of FX’s Justified. Feature credits include Moneyball, The Last Song and Cast Away.

11. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

Cool! I'm a big fan of Nick Searcy, so it's good to see him involved.

12. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Boy, this adaptation had better be good. IMO 11/22/63 is one of Stephen King's best books, and it needs to be done justice, unlike the crap they call the Under The Dome show...

goodiesguy, vegafleet, Vidiot and 2 others like this.
  13. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I'm bracing myself for the return of Under the Dumb in less than 3 weeks... :sigh:

14. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

So am I...car crash television at its finest:righton:

Vidiot likes this.
  15. applecakes

applecakes viva la vinyl

16. dirwuf

Last edited: Oct 30, 2015
  17. larryk

larryk Senior Member

Looking forward to this. Excellent book.

I hope there's plenty of "pound cake."

18. dirwuf

The first teaser!!!

19. Well, that 23 seconds or so of footage looks promising...:)

20. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

21. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes

For what it's worth, season one of Under the Dome was a lot like the book...until it was decided it was getting a season two, then...they strayed from the book because they naturally needed more material. The moment they strayed, I bailed on it.

22. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

The reviews are positive-to-good:

Boasting gaudy auspices (including J.J. Abrams), stars (James Franco) and the lure of another Stephen King bestseller, “11.22.63” represents a major breakthrough for Hulu in terms of sheer buzz and scope. Yet the resulting eight-part miniseries is an uneven affair, at times feeling as if it’s meandering through history en route to its frantic closing kick – a “Twilight Zone” episode, stretched and kneaded to wring more out of it, while making up the rules as it goes along. That said, even if the project doesn’t clearly alter Hulu’s history, it certainly sets the streaming service on a more ambitious path.

http://variety.com/2016/tv/reviews/...-franco-jj-abrams-hulu-miniseries-1201680622/

If this time-travel thriller from Stephen King and J.J. Abrams works, it's because James Franco goes all-in with his performance as a small-town teacher tasked with stopping the assassination of JFK. Not quite the “alternative history” of Amazon’s The Man In the High Castle but more along the lines of everyone’s favorite time-machine game — what would you do to go back and kill Hitler?, etc. — Stephen King’s 11.22.63, about going back in time to stop the assassination of John F. Kennedy, is executive produced by J.J. Abrams and marks a very big next step for Hulu in the scripted game.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/james-franco-stephen-king-hulu-860118

I'm jazzed and look forward to the show. I read both reviews and 90% of their objections are problems with the novel itself, which does meander and take its time before reaching its inevitable conclusion. I generally didn't have any problems with the story at all, although you do have to question some of the lead character's mistakes (like relying on gambling to make money in the past), which lead to some... difficult situations.

alexpop likes this.
  23. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I started reading the book, but the writing so was pedestrian- bad I stopped. Written in this Joe Blow colloquial dull prose. I should have just read it for the story and forgotten about the fact that King could also once write a pretty good sentence.

Stone Turntable likes this.
  24. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

There was a long thread elsewhere (which included Steve Hoffman) discussing the 11/22/63 novel and how it was probably the best thing King had written in 10 years. The NY Times chose it in the best 5 works of fiction for 2011. It's fair to say not all critics agreed. But it was a #1 best-seller and was on several top-selling lists for about 4 or 5 months.

I find the detail in King's writing to generally be very good, and I like the way he establishes mood, and I think his descriptions of the setting are very intricate and well-done, particularly when you consider the historical research needed to pull it off. There are some logic and story issues with the novel, so it's not perfect, and I also think it's too long at 849 pages. But having said that, it held my interest and I had no problem knocking through it in a week.

25. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

Interesting... ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.