Any experience with zoverstocks/Music Magpie?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Daedalus, Jan 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all..... Thread Starter

I ordered a classical music box set from this amazon marketplace seller based in UK. Shipped with no tracking number-shipment seems to be taking a long time. In the past I have ordered from Prestoclassical and received order in 5 days-Royal Airmail at low cost. Any thoughts about this seller?

2. Jvalvano

Jvalvano Senior Member

I've ordered a number of items from them through Amazon. Never had a problem. It takes a while but the item always arrived in fine shape.

dlokazip likes this.
  3. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

They ship very very slowly. I usually get my stuff a day or two after the amazon estimate has passed.

They have some of the better prices out there.

4. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Slow shipping, but I generally only buy good to very good CDs from them for $0.01 + $3.99 shipping just to rip, file away, and listen to on iPod in the car.

5. PBo

PBo Forum Resident

I've ordered from them quite a bit. I've always had good service from them. I personally don't think their shipping is any slower than any other UK shipper I've dealt with.

6. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

7. gillcup

gillcup Senior Member

I've order from them about 12 times and they've always shipped pretty quickly (usually about 2 days after I placed the order) but overseas air mail is very slow. I've found that mail from England is slow regardless of the vendor.

8. slayerhatesusall

slayerhatesusall Well-Known Member

Packages I got from them usually take 2 weeks to a month or so to arrive. I've purchased hundreds of cds from them in the past, a small amount that I bought from them never came but they gave me a refund for those ones.

9. Graham

Graham Senior Member

They list everything as "very good".

I've ordered lots from them and it takes a week to arrive in the UK - condition is normally as stated but sometimes digipaks are damaged and CDs have hairline scratches. On the odd occasion the condition has been unacceptable a refund/replacement has been provided.

10. The biggest problem with them is that they (their software) list a single item on all Amazon locales plus Ebay at the same time at different prices (depending on what the competitors' prices are in that country). I have bought hundreds of items from them, but occasionally they cancel orders because apparently they have already sold it at a better price somewhere else. This happens because there is a time gap between the first (only) sale of the item and the cancellation of all the other offers. So whenever it's zOverstock, I cross fingers that I really get the item. Apart from that, they have a great selection and always try to list the cheapest price.

11. 2 1/2-3 weeks

12. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Zoverstocks are very honest and dependable. The only downsides to ordering from them is a) products can and sometimes arrive damaged due to the long trip and extensive handling of the package and b) the large window of time it can take for an order to arrive. My orders usually take a minimum of at least 2 weeks, often a little more. Always give them 4 weeks, I believe the eta on most orders is around 4-5 weeks if you read the fine print.

13. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Also beware, there is another seller called Zoeverstocks.

14. Daedalus

Thanks for replies-I finally received the box. It was packed in a bag-not a sturdy box and consequently the box set had some corner damage. I would think that they should consider the shipping distance in figuring out what shipping package to use. The low price was the plus with them however.

15. TeacFan

TeacFan Forum Resident In Memoriam

I had the sames experience with a Van Cliburn box set. Arrived in a plastical envelope/bag with corner damage. Not sure if I would use them again.

16. Daedalus

Same here. However, my exp. will UK seller Presto has always been excellent. Fast shipping and sturdy boxes used to ship. Their shipping charges are reasonable. I think I will stick with them in future.

17. dachada

dachada Senior Member

I think they have a modus operandi. They accept orders and into the next two day they mark the order as shipped and get the cash from amazon. This method give time to them to allocate the lp or cd and ship the actual item. Because they change the status to shipped and they are located in UK, the buyer have to wait 30 days to put a claim if the item have not arrived and that gives them 2 o 3 extra weeks more to send you a tracking number or send a refund. Why I think this, because I found they have been selling all this week the Bowie- Blackstar Lp in stock and no way they can have stock for more of one week of this soldout title. So do not use them for limited or rare pressings.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2016
  18. pikapika

pikapika New Member

love them.. idon't know how they have so many cds cheap..and even when they list them as very good they look new.. where do they get their stuff?

19. tomvox

tomvox Forum Resident

As a buyer I love them. Thank the Lord that I'm not a seller!!!!!

20. pikapika

pikapika New Member

I know right?? It is amazing to read complaints.. I feel bad for sellers.. its like OMG they did not mail me my $2 cd quick enough!!!!!!!!

I sell some cds on amazon and it is amazing how little money I get.. but the buyer thinks I get it all! they don't take into account I had to buy the cd, pay amazon the commission/fee and pay for shipping! Not to mention if I am scrupulous I pay taxes on whatever little bit I get! People will buy a cd for $2.99 and complain for the dumbest reasons...

being a seller of cds is really for suckers..

jackieboy likes this.
  21. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

I haven't bought from them lately, but about 5-8 years ago I ordered a few used CDs from them. Most of them took forever to arrive, about a month at least. If it was a hard to find title stateside and OOP and the condition was excellent I was happy. However, I got a couple of badly scratched CDs from them and just got tired of dealing with them and the long wait times. As such, I do not order from them anymore, no matter how cheap the item in question is.

22. Lost In The Flood

Lost In The Flood Feeding an invisible goat

They're the selling division of Musicmagpie (UK equivalent of declutr)

23. Rob C

Rob C Forum Resident

I suspect this is exactly how it works. I ordered the VU Matrix Tapes box on Christmas Day, and got a shipping notice (no tracking) on Dec. 28, with an estimated delivery window ending Feb. 4. As of Feb. 5, no CDs. I have my doubts as to whether this set ever got shipped at all. To their credit, I guess, they gave me a prompt reply that they will refund my payment, but of course they have had my money in hand for nearly six weeks!

24. JRF

JRF Forum Resident

I have ordered from them about 8 to 1o times. Never a problem, but you have to be patient, takes about 2-3 weeks to arrive.

25. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident

Anyone noticed a huge fall in quality from Zoverstocks, now known as Music Magpie? They used to be so reliable for used CDs. Recently I have had:
    • two CDs never arrive
    • one arrive that was unplayable
    • the "very good" quality being less so

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.