The Hogan Family (The Valerie Harper sitcom)- why no syndication or DVD release?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by PaulKTF, Jan 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Benno123

Benno123 Forum Resident

My guess is that the people who worked on the show had to take the good, they had to take the bad, they took them both and then they had the facts of life ....

Joseph.McClure likes this.
  2. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Just a mediocre, horrible, boring show that was very tedious to work on week after week. Also poorly acted and not funny. From my point of view, the lighting was terrible, too. A lot of those NBC tape shows looked bad to me. I knew the editor on the show for a few years and she was ready to hang herself.

driverdrummer and Dudley Morris like this.
  3. Torontotom

Torontotom Forum Resident

Facts of Life was definitely one of those shows that added the canned laughter to even the most un-funniest jokes.

I like the show (most likely due to nostalgia) but watching some of the reruns, I am shocked at how bad some of the episodes in the later years were. And the horrible styling for the stars.

4. davidshirt

davidshirt =^,,^=

A lot of the 80s shows are incredible timecapsles of the Reagan era wholesomeness that peaked in the mid 80s before Roseanne and Married With Children snapped everyone back to reality.

zebop and driverdrummer like this.
  5. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Ha, see I loved that show growing up. It was really the little show that could. Never a ratings blockbuster but it was a solid hit for many years for NBC.

6. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

209 episodes of that piece of crap. I concede that there are people who loved it because they were kids when it was on, but man, there's a ton of stuff I watched as a kid that I can now say was horrible. There are always shows where you can say, "it was a cheap, lame show, but for some reason it struck a chord with me as a child." That I get.

Yeah, like Cosby. Whoops... I think that one just slipped onto the list of Shows That Can Never Be Rerunned Ever for The Rest of Time.

7. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member Thread Starter

I admit that I have a soft spot for the cheesy 80's sitcom (as one look at my DVD collection will tell you) but
    The Cosby Show does so well in syndication (really,o people just love that show) that I'm pretty sure it will be back at some point down the line.

8. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

Ok I just found this thread so excuse me if something has been mentioned before. I noticed on the clip posted by @Vidiot it says "produced by Rich Correll". Does anyone know who that is? It's none other than The Beav's pal Richard Rickover. He's still producing today, I see his name regularly on Nickelodeon shows.

As for The Hogan Family, I loved the show and never missed an episode. I also enjoyed Jason's show before that called " It's Your Move". He played the same kind of character except he had a sister instead of 2 brothers.

Vidiot likes this.
  9. PaulKTF

Look, if My Mother The Car can get two DVD releases, I don't see why The Hogan Family can't get one. :)

10. MikeInFla

With the talk of "80's font" I had to laugh when I saw this... Not only was the FONT the same back then, but the MUSIC was the same too, only with different lyrics... And people smiled in the intros and they was always a "pause" when showing an actor. Just watch this and think how the intro is JUST like something from the 80's.

Would be nice to have a "MeTV80's" but as some of you have pointed out those shows just aren't as cool as we remember them to be. Our adult minds see them differently now. I loved Facts Of Life. Haven't seen it in over 20 years (I even enjoyed the later ones where they were out of school and worked at the store). I can see myself watching a re-run of it and in my mind I'll be thinking "WTF did I ever see in this? What's with Tootie and roller skates?". So it is best I do not revisit the show.

As for The Hogan Family, I have seen a few episodes on YouTube (if they haven't been pulled) and it is just as enjoyable as I remember. Same goes for James At 15. I was too young to enjoy it the first time but found the episodes on YouTube and all but 1 or 2 were pretty good for a dated 70's show.

11. PaulKTF

Antenna TV runs quite a few 80's sitcoms.

The "actors look to the camera during the credits" thing isn't some 80's trope. That was being done since the 1950's. Do you expect them to look away from the camera so we can't see them? :)

MikeInFla and driverdrummer like this.
  12. bartels76

Yes, I was a kid when it was on. I get that it was cheesy but it is nostalgic for me.

Vidiot and driverdrummer like this.
  13. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

Step by Step was the last "80s" looking sitcom I remember.

14. bartels76

Facts is on a couple of cable channels currently. Check it out.

15. PaulKTF

Another Miller-Boyett/ABC TGIF classic! :)

driverdrummer likes this.
  16. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I gotta say, Jason Bateman was always very talented, even back then. He was a rare kid actor who was thoroughly believable most of the time -- never forgot his lines, as I recall. A real pro, and he's done pretty well as an adult.

MikeInFla likes this.
  17. PaulKTF

Not a fan of The Fats Of Life, eh? :)

driverdrummer likes this.
  18. bartels76

I loved Just The Ten of Us on the TGIF lineup. I'm sure that show looks pretty dated now.

19. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I'd much rather see "It's Your Move" than "Hogan Family" get a DVD release. Bateman was the star of the show and it didn't have any of the cloying sweetness that "Hogan Family" would go into when the focus was on the dad or Sandy Duncan. The first two seasons as "Valerie" were better as Harper was a much better foil for the kids.

20. PaulKTF

I want to see It's Your Move on DVD just because I've never seen it before and now I kind of want to. :)

21. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I was able to download the whole thing from the Internet a while back. The quality is horrible (apparently it was taken from edited reruns in the early 90s), but there are only 18 episodes. Apparently it's also on youtube. Maybe ShoutFactory can put it out.

http://www.macleans.ca/authors/jaime-weinman/weekend-viewing-its-your-move/

22. Torontotom

I forgot that Roberta Flack sang the theme song for Valerie. I can't remember if her version was used for The Hogan Family as well.

23. MikeInFla

Yeah, I have seen a few episodes of It's Your Move on YouTube. The Dregs of Humanity were awesome hahaha. Here is the intro, typical 80's intro....

24. davidshirt

davidshirt =^,,^=

I vaguely remember It's Your Move, I seen a few episodes when reruns were aired on the USA network in 1989.

25. Torontotom

I never watched It's Your Move but watching the opening credits, I notice Caren Kaye from My Tutor, Tricia Cast went onto play Nina on the Young and the Restless and David Garrison of course played Steve on Married with Children.

MikeInFla likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.