David Bowie: Five Years 1969-1973 - 2015 12CD or 13 Vinyl Box Set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RobCooper, Jun 22, 2015.

1. Denti

Denti Forum Resident

In my opinion it's definitely superior.

driverdrummer likes this.
  2. Natcat

Natcat Forum Resident

It what way? Please elaborate. The 2015 has less tape issues?

3. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

That makes an assumption that there is an audible difference between different version(s) of what might be considered "masters" in each country; vinyl and later, CD.

There are so many variables to consider, including as you said, playback and capture technology...but also

Did RCA cut metal LP masters for each of the major markets?
    Did they do it by tape duplication and have each market cut metal masters? We do know in the 60s and 70s multiple pressing plants were used in the US, for example and many of these plants cut their own stampers...
    Did they do it from England or from the US?
    What were the Japan masters and where did they originally come from? Were they down a generation, but used less/preserved better?

Until we know the replication process of the original master at the time of the album's release on the formats (and what EQ decisions were made cutting the metal/glass master(s) in different countries from the tape master) it's all sort of a guess about tape shed, post-editing corrections, condition, playback mediums, etc.

4. Natcat

Natcat Forum Resident

Replying to myself, but I see it was answered already by @karmaman

So no tape issues on the 2009 but that Mew NR and eq :(

5. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

correct. the 2015 has a nicer EQ and no obvious NR. the 2009 loses on these points. however, as i'm tired of repeating, the flaws on the 2015 make it redundant IMO. but these are not the only options, the album's been in print numerous times since 1969...

6. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

A question here, outside the box.

How are the quality of german pressings ca. 1977-1982?
    My old man bought them during that time and I find them quite good.

7. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Actually IIRC, the 2004 "Deluxe" Diamond Dogs was just a clone of the 1999 remaster despite the 2004 mastering credits, which were probably for the bonus tracks on CD2 (someone correct me if I'm wrong here).

Scary Monsters was remastered in 2003 for SACD, like Let's Dance and Ziggy Stardust -the latter also remixed in 5.1 by Ken Scott the same year.

I have heard rumours that Low was indeed remixed in 5.1 by Visconti, probably at the same time (2005-07) as David Live/Stage/Young Americans -all of them also remixed by him.

Dino likes this.
  8. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

Thank you for the corrections. I didn't have my Scary Monsters SA-CD in front of me when I typed that entry.

Do you think anything will be remastered for the next box?

9. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

I bought most of his RCA albums between 1984 and 1987/8 in the UK. All had black labels and pressings were from England (I think), France (Heroes/Heros) but most were German copies. It was a long time ago but I've come to the conclusion that all RCA records upto the 1984 picture discs, from any region, are good (yes I'm sure there is the odd exception) and will avoid many of the tape issues of the 2015 Five Years set. You are getting yours free so they are certainly the best value Bowie records you will ever hear! ;)

It should be noted that they skimped on the packaging as the gatefold sleeves were no longer and I can't recall ever finding a lyric sheet.

Dino likes this.
  10. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

Thank you. Fortunately, my father are still alive and well, so I'm gladly going to wait another 20-25 years to get the records, as long as I have him. :cool:

scobb and Dino like this.
  11. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

I think they'll remaster all the core albums, with Ray Staff, probably. After all, Space Oddity had a remaster in 2009 and yet they remastered it again in 2015.

12. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Jeff Rougvie has posted his final thoughts on the original Ryko Sound+Vision box set on his blog:

Bowie Sound + Vision »

13. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

Thank you!

jhm likes this.
  14. fmuakkassa

fmuakkassa Dr. M

This is a long thread.
    Quick question
    Is there a difference between the US or UK/European version of the Five Years vinyl box? If so, which is better?

15. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

A vinyl only thread for this box was created after it was released, you probably would do better to ask over there: David Bowie: Five Years 1969-1973 - 2015, 13 Vinyl Box Set »

16. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

So what's the verdict - CD or Vinyl?

I know Fremer was disappointed in the sound quality of the vinyl. Are the CDs any better?

17. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Vinyl is generally better reviewed.

18. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

I wonder if it's just the vinyl hype train - aren't they digitally sourced?

jsayers likes this.
  19. The records sound great especially pinups and zig. Zig is analogue. The others are probably digital but sound really good. Better than the CDs

Clanceman, jimhb and sassi like this.
  20. Frank205

Frank205 Forum Resident

Aladdin Sane is very disappointing tmwstw pinups ziggy very good

21. back2vinyl

back2vinyl Forum Resident

If they're from the same source and the same mastering, it would surely all be down to the user's own equipment. I think the biggest difference would arise from the cartridge being used for vinyl playback. Cartridges don't have a flat frequency response, so experienced vinyl users choose one with a sonic signature they find especially appealing. Naturally, they will prefer the sound of that to the sound of the CD, which is played back flat.

22. lrpm

lrpm Forum Resident

Read 90 pages of this thread 'only'... Until then, CDs of studio albums in this set were considered excellent except Alladin and Ziggy. Has this agreement changed since then? Has the forum opinion changed during the last 52 pages? I am sorry but I have not enough energy to continue reading the rest of the pages...

scobb likes this.
  23. pablorkcz

pablorkcz ⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

That (first 90 pages, loose consensus) sounds about right with a handful of dissenting opinions, alternate perspectives and caveats, as would be expected.

24. Denti

Denti Forum Resident

Surprised no announcement for the next set yet.

25. Lecords

Lecords Forum Resident

My guess is they have to clear the decks with the upcoming RSD stuff. Expect the announcement on April 17.