EVERY Billboard #1 hit discussion thread 1958-Present

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by alphanguy, Jan 29, 2016.

1. alphanguy

alphanguy Forum Resident Thread Starter

I just have to say, this is one of the most beautiful, sublime songs ever to hit the top spot. I've almost never met a person who doesn't love it. It of course, became an instant standard after that.... Although the song was decades old from a Broadway play.

2. Lost Monkey

Lost Monkey Forum Resident

My dad used to play this when I was small and I have always had a fondness for it. What a performance and what a recording!

It is one of those songs that David Lynch could have used in Blue Velvet or Twin Peaks to make you "float"... as it definitely takes me to a different place and time - although not necessarily of this consciousness...

JonnyKidd likes this.
  3. I Love Music

I Love Music Forum Resident

The music staff at Billboard picked Smoke Gets In Your Eyes to be a hit in their December 8, 1958 issue, one week before the song made its debut on the Hot 100:

[​IMG]

The evergreen was originally written for the 1933 stage musical Roberta and the first known phonograph recording of the song was released that same year by Gertrude Niesen on Victor. The tune was later featured in the 1935 film adaptation of Roberta in which it was performed by Irene Dunne:

Famously, both the widow of Smoke Gets In Your Eyes co-writer Jerome Kern and Mercury Records executive Art Talmadge initially objected to The Platters recording the song. A potential lawsuit by Mrs. Kern to prevent release of the song was avoided, in part, when she learned through her lawyer that a new recording of Smoke Gets In Your Eyes could be very profitable. Talmadge wanted The Platters to record more modern material like Short Shorts rather than this “tired old standard”. I am glad the group didn’t follow Talmadge’s suggestion!

Smoke Gets In Your Eyes was recorded while the group was on tour in Europe at the Olympia Theater in Paris, France in September 1958. Mercury’s in-house arranger, David Carroll, was brought in from New York and he conducted the orchestra which was comprised of musicians from the larger orchestra of the Palais Garnier.

If anyone has additional information about the recording session for Smoke Gets In Your Eyes I’d be interested in hearing about it.

JonnyKidd, Carl LaFong, jbg and 3 others like this.
  4. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

"Smoke Gets In Your Eyes" may be the pinnacle of the Platters' recording career. They certainly never surpassed it again, with only a couple of their 1956 hits in the same league. Not only is Tony Williams' vocal just perfect, but the string accompaniment is sublime, with the quotation of a riff from Ravel's Bolero during the bridge adding to the thrill.

And, unlike some early Hot 100 hits, it sounds fabulous in stereo! My preferred version, in its original wide mix, is on the vinyl soundtrack LP of American Graffiti.

5. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Such a lovely song and arrangement to compliment the lead vocal. Loved the use of the song to underscore the prom scene in American Graffiti.

JonnyKidd and bluejeanbaby like this.
  6. I Love Music

Williams’ performance really does justice to the song. The earlier readings of Smoke Gets In Your Eyes by Niesen and Dunne are emotionally restrained whereas Williams interprets the song with greater conviction and with a gospel-steeped styling.

The tympani is a nice touch too!

I agree. The wide stereo mix has a bit more air and a nice wide sound stage that doesn’t sacrifice the middle. Vocal and instrument placement are altered minimally which allows it to retain the impact of the mono 45 mix.

The Remember When? LP (Mercury SR 60087, released in 1959) also has Smoke Gets In Your Eyes in wide stereo. (Many of the early stereo Mercury LPs, the ones with the black labels, like Remember When? sound very good). The blue label stereo 45 version of Smoke Gets In Your Eyes with the large silver STEREO letters (Mercury SS-10001), released in January 1959 shortly after the mono 45, also sounds very nice.

Unfortunately, numerous LPs and CDs released throughout the years have Smoke Gets In Your Eyes in rechanneled or narrow stereo (i.e. poor stereo separation) so buyer beware.

The original mono 45 of Smoke Gets In Your Eyes (Mercury 71383X45) was released in November 1958 and here’s an idea of what it sounds it like:

Last edited: Feb 6, 2016
    JonnyKidd, jbg and Frank like this.
  7. I Love Music

From the same Dick Clark Beech-Nut Show as the Conway Twitty clip I posted earlier, The Platters "singing" Smoke Gets In Your Eyes just days before the song moved into the top spot on the Billboard Hot 100:

Note: After The Platters perform but before Fabian comes on, Dick Clark does his own Top 10 countdown which differs from the concurrent Top 10 on the Billboard Hot 100. Something tells me we'll see his #5 song in this thread pretty soon.

JonnyKidd, SuprChickn77, jbg and 2 others like this.
  8. bluejeanbaby

bluejeanbaby Forum Resident

Born in '54. I was a wee one when these from the 50's came out. Can remember some from the early 60's when teenage cousins of mine had records....they taught me how to do the twist when I was 7 or so lol. By the time this gets beyond '65, I'll probably know all the songs posted here. I agree, the history of each song is quite interesting.

So this is what started folk music's popularity?

I was a child and can remember my parents getting this Alvin and the Chipmunks song for me lol, it was at Christmastime.

JonnyKidd and Manapua like this.
  9. greenwichsteve

greenwichsteve Well-Known Member

I don't love it! I don't know why - it's a good song, you can't fault the performances, and yet........

Maybe it's something about the melody. I feel like I should love it, but no. I don't hate, or even dislike it. It just leaves me cold.

JonnyKidd and Damiano54 like this.
  10. Slokes

Slokes Cruel But Fair

Like Tony Bennett and Mel Torme, The Platters were a traditional pop act that scored their hits after the rock 'n' roll era began. This was their last #1, but they had some hits after. Their last Top 40 hit came more than eight years later, "With This Ring."

JonnyKidd likes this.
  11. Beattles

Beattles Senior Member

"Rich Corinthian leather"
    Khannnnnnnnnnnn

JonnyKidd and Mechanical Man like this.
  12. HarvG

HarvG Senior Member

Truly LOL - thanks for that!

JonnyKidd and Slokes like this.
  13. Damiano54

Damiano54 Senior Member

Until I heard Sarah Vaughan's version of Smoke Gets In Your Eyes, I always had felt negative about the song. I didn't like any versions that I had heard. I think the melody sounded kinda sappy to me. Re-listening now to the Platters' version, I do enjoy it some. Sarah Vaughan's version of course is a major re-working of the melody which I know some people scorn. But at least now after enjoying her performance, I will always have a fondness for the song.

JonnyKidd likes this.
  14. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

After the Kern estate's objections became public, wasn't lyricist Oscar Hammerstein quoted in the press at the time as saying he was grateful to the Platters for reviving the song?

And what could be the basis for a lawsuit? Can't a performer do anything they want to a song (songs, not recordings -- leave sampling out of this), as long as the publisher and composer(s) get paid?

15. Joy-of-radio

Joy-of-radio Forum Resident

I never realized stereo 45s were being issued this early...Very interesting!

JonnyKidd and pablo fanques like this.
  16. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

I can't go that far. They were more polished than street corner ruffians in the Bronx or nasal nerds from the 'burbs, but they were definitely a doo wop act.

JonnyKidd likes this.
  17. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead Forum Resident

Thanks, this helps put the reaction to Dylan going electric into proper context for me!

JonnyKidd likes this.
  18. I Love Music

Yes, that is my understanding as well.

I'm not clear either whether there was even sufficient basis to warrant a lawsuit. Eva Kern heard The Platters' version of Smoke Gets In Your Eyes and reportedly hated it. She felt her late husband wouldn't have wanted his songs used for absurdly melodramatic, overwrought rock 'n' roll ballads. She had her lawyer call Max Dreyfus, Kern's publisher at Chappell's, to inquire about taking out an injunction against The Platters. Mr Dreyfus regretfully had to inform Mrs Kern that he had actually been the person who suggested to Buck Ram, the group's manager, that Smoke Gets In Your Eyes would be perfect for them to record. The single was already climbing the charts at this time and was on course to sell over a million copies. Mrs Kern ultimately decided to forego the injunction.

19. alphanguy

alphanguy Forum Resident Thread Starter

Next we have "Stagger Lee" by Lloyd Price. #1 from February 9 - March 8, 1959. #1 for 4 weeks.

20. Slokes

Slokes Cruel But Fair

One of the more oft-quoted hits, by everyone from The Black Keys to Pacific Gas & Electric to The Clash. I think there's a whole wing just for the reggae acts. Pretty good mileage for a 120-year-old murder.

21. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

Lloyd Price's version of "Stagger Lee" was directly inspired by a 1950 version by the New Orleans pianist who recorded under the name "Archibald" for the Imperial label. "Stack-A-Lee (Part 1)" was a top-10 R&B hit that year. There is a very early pressing of the ABC-Paramount 45 that has the composer credits as "Archibald-Price-Logan" on the label.

Also, famously, Dick Clark refused to play the song on American Bandstand. Price recorded a special version just for Mr. Clark, in which, among other things, the two men were arguing over a girl and not gambling to the death. That bowdlerized version wasn't released to the public until years later, possibly because someone pulled the wrong tape from the archives. It is definitely on a Goldies 45 reissue; it may also appear on the ABC Oldies Treasure Chest 45 and possibly a Roulette Golden Goodies Hit Series 45. I know for sure that it's on the popular TV mail-order album 40 Funky Hits. How "Stagger Lee" made an album mostly composed of novelty songs is anyone's guess.

22. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

Sidebar : I only see one or two gentlemen smoking in that clip, and the song has no direct reference to smoking, but who of a certain age cannot make the connection?

I wonder if kd lang considered the song for DRAG?

JonnyKidd likes this.
  23. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

Kind of funny that this is an era that celebrates diversity. Presentism I guess.

JonnyKidd, goodiesguy and tim_neely like this.
  24. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

I can't wait until we get to My Ding A Ling.

25. I Love Music

Stagger Lee
    was Lloyd’s musical take on the murder of William “Billy” Lyons by Stagger Lee Shelton, a tale that became legendary in the American South shortly after the incident occurred in 1895 and which eventually moved into song through a variety of interpretations.

Here’s how the St. Louis Globe Democrat newspaper originally reported the shooting in December 1895:

“William Lyons, 25, a levee hand, was shot in the abdomen yesterday evening at 10 o’clock in the saloon of Bill Curtis, at Eleventh and Morgan Streets, by Lee Sheldon, a carriage driver. Lyons and Sheldon were friends and were talking together. Both parties, it seems, had been drinking and were feeling in exuberant spirits. The discussion drifted to politics, and an argument was started, the conclusion of which was that Lyons snatched Sheldon’s hat from his head. The latter indignantly demanded its return. Lyons refused, and Sheldon withdrew his revolver and shot Lyons in the abdomen. When his victim fell to the floor Sheldon took his hat from the hand of the wounded man and coolly walked away. He was subsequently arrested and locked up at the Chestnut Street Station. Lyons was taken to the Dispensary, where his wounds were pronounced serious. Lee Sheldon is also known as ‘Stag’ Lee.”

Billy Lyons later died from his wounds, and Stag Lee was tried for the killing. The first trial ended in a hung jury amidst major political controversy. Stag Lee was convicted in a second trial and served time before being pardoned by the Missouri governor. Less than two years after his release, Stag Lee killed a man while robbing his house, was sent to prison again, but due to political pressure received yet another pardon from a different governor. Stag Lee died of tuberculosis in the prison hospital before his release.

Stagger Lee
    was recorded by Lloyd Price with the Don Costa Orchestra at Bell Sound Studios in New York City. Stagger Lee was originally serviced to radio stations as the B-side of You Need Love in early November 1958. Billboard, however, recognized the hit potential of both sides and listed both as Spotlight Picks in their November 3, 1954 issue:

[​IMG]

Radio stations ultimately preferred Stagger Lee and soon the single was racing up the charts.

Lloyd Price recorded a less violent version of Stagger Lee for his appearances on American Bandstand and the Saturday Night Beech-Nut Show at the request of Dick Clark or ABC-TV (accounts vary). The dreadful, sanitized re-recording of Stagger Lee with the happy ending became known as the "Bandstand Version":