What EL34 integrated amps have you heard . . . .

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by David Cope, Feb 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. David Cope

David Cope Forum Resident Thread Starter

and what did you think of them?

trd likes this.
  2. Jvalvano

Jvalvano Senior Member

I have had a Primaluna Prologue 1 for close to 15yrs now. I have always liked it and it still does a tremendous job.

3. David Cope

David Cope Forum Resident Thread Starter

What sources do you use with it and what speakers are you driving?

trd likes this.
  4. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

The Line Magnetic LM211ia is very impressive, and extremely affordable!

LM Audio LM218IA »

russk, trd and Rolltide like this.
  5. Jvalvano

Jvalvano Senior Member

It should be all in my profile. :cheers:

trd and bluemooze like this.
  6. Fiddlefye

Fiddlefye Forum Resident

I'm still running a Conrad Johnson MV-45 that I bought as a lightly used pup about 1985. 45/ch PP. Other amps have come and gone, the MV-45 has been rebuilt and upgraded and is still with me. Listening to it as I type with an Anthem Pre-1 up front of it (also run a CJ PV-12) and some Reference 3A mm de Capos downstream. Other amps have come and gone, the MV-45 remains. A great deal if you can find one.

trd likes this.
  7. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Don't think I've ever heard one. I have a Marantz 8B, thazzz it.

wwright, SandAndGlass and trd like this.
  8. Fiddlefye

Fiddlefye Forum Resident

Nice amp, simple circuit and excellent transformers. Not a bells and whistles amp, nicely balanced tonally and good extension both directions. For the price the MV-45 fetches there really is nothing else comes close. Compared to the 8B I'd say while not dissimilar in character it is more focused overall, tighter on the bottom end and (depending on tube set) a more natural tonal balance. Some of the subsequent CJ amps I find to be a bit "dark" by comparison. My listening room is 11 x 11 and with the de Capos the MV-45 is way more than adequate.

trd likes this.
  9. trd

trd Forum Resident

I've had my ASL aq1003dt for probably 10/11 years now. Sounds as good as new. Has operated like a champ (knock on wood) all these years. It was a "budget" buy when I was in law school and has served me well ever since. I'd like to try out some different tube integrateds in my system (Prima Luna dialogue premium HP/Cary sli80) both to hear different amps, and with the Cary different tubes. No local dealer for the Cary, not sure about PL, though

I do love the el34 sound, though I think my Sonus Faber grand piano domus could use a little more umph.

10. russk

russk Forum Resident

The Line Magnetic 211ia is the best amp ive heard running EL34s. IMHO it best the CJ MV60, various modified Dynaco ST70, Prima Luna, Jadis and Cayin amps that I've heard.

SandAndGlass, trd and Rolltide like this.
  11. trd

trd Forum Resident

Just stumbled on the line magnetic a couple of days ago, reviews are outstanding

12. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

VTL IT-85. I like it.

wwright and trd like this.
  13. Mortsnets

Mortsnets Forum Resident

Cayin A-50T sounds pretty good but I prefer EL84 to EL34.

ls35a and trd like this.
  14. tomd

tomd Senior Member

I have a Coincident Audio Dynamo 34se ( 8 watt el34 SET) headphone amp driving my hi/mids.Absolutely love it and don't think it will ever he replaced in my system

trd likes this.
  15. GoldprintAudio

It is a really cool integrated. I've had several customers, all with some fairly high end rigs, try both the 211 and 216 and all have been quite amazed at just how good they sound.

russk and trd like this.
  16. timind

timind phorum rezident

Currently enjoying a Primaluna Prologue Four. It's the first EL34 amp I've owned. So far I can say I prefer it to the 6l6 amp I owned previously. Although I'm still getting a feel for it, last night the music it provided last night was pretty magical.

SandAndGlass and trd like this.
  17. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

A Synthesis Flame being fed by a Cambridge CXN and a Magnum Dynalab MD100 FM tuner. Harbeth P3ESR at the business end. Sounds astonishingly good, endlessly listenable, detailed, great dynamics, and very satisfying. The Flame is runnng four stock Electro Harmonix EL34 and two JJ 12AU7.

trd likes this.
  18. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

trd and Sailfree like this.
  19. I have a pair of Eico HF 60's, but they have been modified extensively and now use 6550's----so I can't help you much there. A big key to the sound of any tube amp is the circuit design and quality of transformers used. I love the Acrosound TO-330's trannys used on the Eico 60's. Of course the type and quality of tube makes a substantial difference, however IMHO that is just one factor in the equation.

Correction: Just reread the original post---Integrated amps-----sorry!

trd likes this.
  20. trd

trd Forum Resident

Any thoughts on how it sounds with 4ohm speakers? I'm a little concerned that the power limits of the el34 tube means I'll never find a good match for my speakers.

21. GoldprintAudio

Not sure really.....I've been running it with both Joseph and DeVore speakers, so those rarely drop below 7/8 ohms.

What speakers do you have?

trd likes this.
  22. trd

trd Forum Resident

Sonus Faber grand piano domus, 90db efficient bit that 4ohm load is tough to drive. I've not found a plot of the ohm load across the various frequencies

23. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Decware Integrated. Great! Slightly old school sounding in comparison to their other offerings. Mainly as it's just a bit forgiving of awful source material. Eventually moved on to the Torii series of Decware amps as they had more power, and I moved to a large room.

The Decware Zen Triode Integrated tube amplifier model SE34I.5 »

Decware Torii Mk II and Mk III. Amazing amps. Combine the best of solid state and tube design to me. Deep, taut bass. Airy grain free highs. Especially as there are very flexible tone controls outside the signal path. I have a Mk II (only treble controls) and two Mk IIIs, one with the beeswax caps and stepped attenuator in my main system, my daily driver. Stopped my search for an amp, I'm literally good for life imo, at least I've felt that way about three years. Currently a Mk IV is for sale and is supposed to be even better. I used to run EL34 tubes, now I run KT-66.

The Decware Audiophile Tube Amplifier / Model ZEN TORII MKIII »

Still, trd and Sailfree like this.
  24. wwright

wwright Forum Resident

I'm a huge integrated tube amp fan. Currently I have a Cayin 688R, VTL IT-85 (with new Gold Lion KT-77s) and a Line Magnetic 518ia is now en route. I've had a number of other brands I've traded, gifted to family members, or sold.

By far, the VTL IT-85 with their stock EH EL34s has a clarity and delicacy missing in other integrated tube amps I've heard. It's like a blend of solid state precision with tube realism. The KT-77s have a slightly richer sound, but at the expense of some detail, so I plan to put the EH EL34s back in. I highly recommend it.

The VAC 160i SE is my personal holy grail. I've heard it at CES - it's wonderful.

25. Shiver

Shiver Forum Resident

Had a ProLogue Two. Came with stock KT88s but stuck Winged C EL34s in, which it responded well to with fleshed-out and more textured mids. Nice amp with plenty of fulsome drive - possibly too much drive if you'd want something 'sweet' sounding, but I really liked it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.