King Crimson 2009 re-issues CD / DVD stereo/5.1 all inclusive thread (Part 4)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jun 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

I am asking questions that informed members may be able to answer, which you just did, thank you. I did not KNOW that Fripp did not think Red needed to be remixed. I think that any generous person here who knows the answer would respond in kindness much quicker than emailing Robert Fripp or Steve Wilson.

I am not seeking attention, but information and opinions. This is a forum filled with very knowledgeable people. And a forum is for discussion, is it not? I do not understand your attitude towards me from the first post in response to my questions. Though I appreciate the information you have imparted, I could do without the persistent attitude. I am not implying a conspiracy. I am trying to make some sense of the inconsistencies. I have not noticed, as I typically do not keep track, but do you respond so defensively and aggressively to other inquiries on this forum?

asdf35 and Blair G. like this.
  2. SKATTERBRANE

Thank you. I have no objection to the boxes, that is for sure. I cannot complain about more and more material. I am just awaiting the completion of a project started 7 years ago, the last two titles to be released.

3. JETman

JETman Forum Resident

I think it goes a little deeper than that. He's making up for years of being ripped off, and good for him. If you're a business owner, wouldn't you go all in on product that will sell big? If we're really counting chickens here, the profit isn't huge on 7,000 pressings of boxed sets that aren't being put out on the cheap. Do you know of any American record companies who tolerate THAT?

4. JETman

JETman Forum Resident

A few things:

1) You never respond directly TO me, yet it's clear that you are doing just that.
    2) Assume nothing. "Knowledge" is often a state of fantasy around here. I have learned nothing here that I couldn't have learned on my own with a small amount of detective work.
    3) This should not be a place for whining and complaining, which last I checked is never productive discussion or debate. All it does is serve to "stir the pot", and get people focusing on meaningless stuff.
    4) If you want an answer to your last question, see 1, 2 and 3 above.

5. SKATTERBRANE

Oh, I thought I was responding directly to you. And since it is clear to you then why would you say I am not. I made myself clear enough for you to know I was responding directly to you. How could I have made myself more clear? When it is NOT obvious, I take the time to quote someone as I did above. I do not make a habit of quoting if it is clear otherwise to whom I am responding. I was not quoted every time someone responded to me. I will be waiting IN SILENCE, as I have for 6 years now for the last two installments this series are released IF EVER. It seems you do not think that it would serve me to inquire of the membership here any questions I may have about CDs, recordings etc, but rather I should find other venues to gain knowledge.

6. SKATTERBRANE

Is that better? The release of these last two titles are not meaningless to me. But certainly less important than overpopulation or lack of clean water.

Steve B and Dr. Mudd like this.
  7. JETman

JETman Forum Resident

They are NOT the last 2 releases in the 40th anniversary series. I suspect we'll hit 50 before we see them all.

8. SKATTERBRANE

Well, I am not aware that the releases after ToaPP are included, great if they are.

9. zongo

zongo Forum Resident

That seems kind of rude. I thought his questions were totally fine, and yes, of course, you can try to become world super-expert in something to answer a question, but it doesn't make sense to do that for most things. Instead, you come somewhere where people ARE super-experts and ask them. Which is precisely what he did.

Steve B and Dr. Mudd like this.
  10. Olias of Sunhill

Olias of Sunhill Forum Resident

The fact that Thrak has already been released as part of this series suggests some appetite for post-ToaPP titles. Not sure whether it goes beyond that or not... my interest mostly ends at Thrak anyway.

11. JETman

JETman Forum Resident

You overestimate the majority here. What exactly is a music expert? Rude to you maybe, I'm just tired of the nonsense. And I don't recall asking you how you felt about it. How about you defuse by stepping in to answer the questions in your own way, then. There is nothing legitimate OR smart about starting a query for info with "why the heck doesn't so and so give us what I want instead what he's already giving us". Doesn't exactly set the right tone for an adult conversation.

12. JETman

JETman Forum Resident

TCoL and The Power to Believe are on the schedule, as far as I know. Thrak is after 3ofaPP, so post color period releases are included since Thrak was just released last Fall.

13. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

Not to derail this whole business, but I'm curious: what thoughts are floating around as to what else could be released beyond Beat and ToaPP? Beyond Thrak, there's just the ProjeKcts live albums and ProjeKct Two studio album and ConstruKction of Light, which is still in a legal gray area if I'm not mistaken.

I suppose there could theoretically be a ProjeKcts megabox, but I have a hard time imagining there's a market for that in the way there was for the album boxes. Ditto for ConstruKction, even though I liked it.

14. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

I thought the plan was to release all of the studio albums minus TCoL. I'd like to get that one too though.

The ProjeKct X album would be nice to include as well. It's a KC album in my book.

Runicen likes this.
  15. Olias of Sunhill

There is also The Power to Believe from 2003.

Dr. Mudd likes this.
  16. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

I guess my question for TCoL and Power to Believe would be, do they really need a remix/remaster? Is there something to be added to those albums that wasn't present in an original that's barely 20 years old?

17. JETman

JETman Forum Resident

David Singleton, in his diary, had stated that he came up with an approach for TCoL which he had not yet run by Fripp. He didn't go into much detail, and hasn't posted further about it yet. If I'm not mistaken, it was an idea for a boxed set surrounding either that album OR both of the 00's album. Lots are clamoring for more Projeckcts, so I wouldn't discount that as a possibility for further examination. I also believe (not based on anything I've heard), that there will eventually be boxes for the Islands band, and one somehow combining Discipline, Beat and 3ofaPP which takes the same approach as the Thrak box -- concert highlights and not exhaustive like the Larks era boxes. All of that being said, Fripp has already announced that the 2017 Fall box will be a Guitar Craft one. There has also been mention that some more live 1973 could be released at some point in mini-box form.

18. Olias of Sunhill

If the main selling point for this series is the Wilson 5.1 editions, then yes. Otherwise, no need IMO.

Dr. Mudd and Tristero like this.
  19. tcj

tcj Senior Member

I would buy the heck out of a "Kcomplete ProjeKcts" box. I've collected many of the official releases from KCCC and DGMLive but having it all in one set, every single show, would be great. Also great would be a revisiting of Masque from Project 3, as they did with Thrakattak. Pat was really onto something when he cobbled Masque together. I think it would have been fascinating if he had been given even greater freedom to reshape the band's sound. To be honest, after the ProjeKcts period, the two studio albums were kind of a let-down. There was some wild stuff going on in that post-Thrak period, and then TCoL came out and it was just kind of more of the same, only "heavier." TPtB is a better album, but I don't dig into it very much. I like Adrian Belew a lot but I think maybe his tenure with the band should have ended after the ProjeKcts, or maybe he should have been only a guitarist and the band brought in someone new for vocals/etc.

WalterDigsTunes, Runicen and Dr. Mudd like this.
  20. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

Was. When the 40th was first announced TCoL was conspicuously absent; the legal issues have since been resolved in Fripp's favor. That's partly why he's rebirthed King Crimson in 2014. Power To Believe was always scheduled. Fripp used to publicly downplay TCoL, but I think partly because he didn't want to (or couldn't) discuss business.

And now it seems to appear in a few promotional materials. (Don't have a link.) And Singleton's expanded plan could be on the table as well. That quartet was the best improv unit of the bunch. Yes, I'm serious.

TCoL could use a serious remix, imo; fix those drums! And both are prime candidates for 5.1 surround, like all Crim albums. But don't expect Steven Wilson to do these; he has stated his interest ends with the 80s band. Jakko will do a good job, if Thrak is any indicator.

ProjeKct X in 5.1? Gimme!

ProjeKcts? I dunno. There's a LOT of them, and everything (I've heard) sounds plenty good. What they might consider is doing that very nice 4-disc ProjeKcts box in 5.1; instant purchase here. The ProjeKcts are among the most important things The King has ever done; they deserve some kind of celebration treatment.

I've also got a hunch there will be a new studio album before I croak.

So I've got that going for me.

Which is nice.

21. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

I'd be 100% in favor of an '80s lineup comprehensive box with all three studio albums and whatever live recordings they have. THAT would be one hell of a delectable meal!

I never heard ProjeKct X, so the fond mentions it's getting here have me curious (though I'll probably hold off until they re-release it to lay ears on it).

A total ProjeKcts box is tricky. I like the box that exists now and I do periodically spin the ProjeKct Two album, but I'm not sure how many hours of that kind of music I could take in a single sitting.

Ah, who am I kidding? I'll probably end up buying whatever they put out. I DON'T KNOW HOW TO QUIT YOU, DGM! :drool:

22. JETman

JETman Forum Resident

The idea of an 80s box is complete conjecture on my part. Fripp loves that band, but a complete approach with dozens of same sounding live recordings would end up being a 362 CD snore. That's why I believe that, if it's gonna be done, it's only going to include cherry-picked shows as was recently done with the Thrak box. A CD box of the complete Savoy shows would be nice.

ProjeKct X is a worthwhile listen, for sure. Many people love the ProjeKcts, so I could see a forthcoming box for those in the future. Again, total conjecture on my part.

Runicen likes this.
  23. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

Hey, no complaints if you turn out to be right! :D

JETman likes this.
  24. Steve B

Steve B Forum Resident

I had a similar experience with this "expert" on another thread.

asdf35 and Dr. Mudd like this.
  25. JETman

JETman Forum Resident

Some think they're experts, and others know they are. Sorta the difference between saying Eddie Jobson played on a song on USA, and knowing all he did was walk into a studio and add violin to a couple of tracks where Cross' violin was inaudible.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.