“Mastered by Nimbus” CDs question.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by flashgordon, May 25, 2007.

1. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

What about the Nimbus vinyl? Example is "Band on the Run" pressing by Nimbus. Are they high quality pressings?

2. monewe

monewe Forum Resident

Haven't read the whole thread but Argus was done as well as I have a copy.

3. stillrockin

stillrockin Forum Resident

Would you mind giving me a note of the catalogue number of that release and I will try to search one out?

4. monewe

monewe Forum Resident

MCLD 19085 It is the UK cd mastering of the album dated 1991. The bonus track is No Easy Road.

You have a pm also there is a German version of the same disc which I don't think was mastered by Nimbus but not sure.

The Barcode is 00881190852 and the only thing written underneath the barcode is Also available on cassette MCLC 19085

Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
  5. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

So if the desired pressing of "All Things Must Pass" is the UK Nimbus 3-dot version, does that mean there is a 1-dot version? I have seen 2-dot and 4-dot versions. Are either of those the same as the 3-dot, and how was the 3-dot first if there is a 2-dot and 4-dot? That makes no sense! :confused:

c-eling likes this.
  6. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

I tried re-opening a thread with a Gort a couple weeks ago about 'All Things Must Pass', There is a no-noise floating around but no info really on how to tell what mastering/editions it's used on
    I have a US EMI MFG fat-boy IFPI stamp which would put it in the 90's, levels for disc 1-
    96.7/84.5/97.8/100/93.0/93.7/64.6/99.1/98.5/88.0/79.6/96.8/94.4/100
    Apparently the Japan Black is the one to get, if we could get levels for that, that mastering may carry on through other pressings

7. havefun6699

havefun6699 Senior Member

What is Japan Black?

8. c-eling

9. havefun6699

CP28-5459~60
    Disc One: 76.8/53.3/47.8/50.6/54.3/74.8/32.7/52.1/85.6/51.8/60.4/73.4/92.2/36.0

c-eling likes this.
  10. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

As mscoll said, the dots probably represent different glass masters, i.e., 1 dot = first glass master. The mastering might stay the same on subsequent glass masters, but it might also differ. This information is gleaned from observations, i.e., the lesser dot variations are found in smooth sided cases and/or with artwork lacking a barcode. The CDs were often sticky as well.

mscoll likes this.
  11. c-eling

Thank you, much appreciated :)

12. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

CP28-5459~60
    Disc Two:

havefun6699 and c-eling like this.
  13. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

But the first Nimbus cd pressing for "All Things Must Pass" was 3 dots. How does that make sense? So what was the subsequent pressing? The 2-dot or the 4-dot? Weird.

14. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Why do you think that's the first pressing?

15. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

That's the only one without noise-reduction right (3 dots)? Then it was reissued with NR after that (2-dots, etc).

16. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Do we know for sure the 2 dot version has NR (do you have it)? The All Things Must Pass thead only mentions the 3 dot version being a level shifted version of the CP28 disc (one track is different). The 4 and 5 dot versions are NR'd. It wouldn't be the first disc have oddly ordered mastering.

17. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Yes, I have the 2-dot and it sounds like crap. Noise-reduced, as well as absurdly low levels for the title track.

18. havefun6699

Does your 2-dot version have wide or narrow mirror band between matrix and transparent hub?

19. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Narrow, same size as matrix band.

20. havefun6699

Nine dots in the Nimbus matrix :rolleyes:
    [​IMG]

c-eling likes this.
  21. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Wait, if my 2-dot has the extremely low levels for the title track, does that mean it's the desired non "no-noise" issue? Because it sounds lousy.

22. c-eling

Careful with some of those early UK and US Nimbus discs, if they feel sticky on the face do not wash them, found out the hard way on a New Order PC&L Nimbus UK * 8 track

23. havefun6699

It would be great if you compare peaks level of your 2 dots to 3 dots version. It'd answer all questions

24. no.nine

no.nine (not his real name)

There are several threads that deal with this issue in detail, but here's one which one will do nicely for a start:

Be careful with those early Nimbus CD pressings »

Front 242 Addict and c-eling like this.
  25. c-eling