How often do you use Discogs?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Vern, Dec 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vern

Vern Forum Resident Thread Starter

The new official Discogs app was released today.

black sheriff likes this.
  2. OpenMindAudio

OpenMindAudio Member

Awesome - had no idea they have an app. Just downloaded. I use Discogs nearly constantly when buying and researching titles. Love it.

Vern likes this.
  3. black sheriff

black sheriff Magic City

I've been using it for a couple of weeks now. I purchased the premium version and have finally started scanning my collection. They should've done the integrated scanner years ago. I've been a member of discogs since 2002.

4. LordThanos1969

LordThanos1969 Forum Resident

I started to buy on Discogs this past year. My experiences have been good with the exception of an international purchase. It is good when you can find one seller who has multiple items you want.

5. The7thStranger

The7thStranger Part of the Rhythm Nation

I use Discogs for reference, but not for purchases. I had two bad experiences, and that was it for me.

6. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

I wouldn't use it for a reference, except perhaps photo-wise.

Try looking at all of the listed domestic versions of Let It Bleed, for example - if I needed Discogs to get info on that album, I would tear my freaking eyes out with all of that junk on there:

Rolling Stones* - Let It Bleed »

7. The7thStranger

Photos are essential for the proof. ;)

8. thedon0922

thedon0922 Member

I think I'm done buying anything used on discogs -- had a couple people really overgraed. Luckily the last refunded my money, but now I dont have Atom Heart Mother.

9. The7thStranger

Their marketplace is trash because it's so unregulated. eBay sellers do a better job.

10. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

I use it a lot for reference, have my collection catalogued there, and have made several purchases (maybe 8-10). I've had two so-so experiences (wrong/damaged item, got full refund), and the rest have been excellent. I've bought from sellers in the U.S. and all over the world. Love it.

11. druboogie

druboogie Maverick Stacker

I just realized that I could use discogs to research all the classic hip hop songs on 45 that Im looking. I can find out only what was released on 45. Its been working out great.

12. thedon0922

thedon0922 Member

Yea, it seems that way. ebay sellers are at least more accountable.

13. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Last time I used it I bought a CD that the guy had listed. 2 weeks and I asked when it's coming. No answer. Another week and I asked again. A week later he answer, I don't have that CD. 2 more weeks to get a refund so I don't use them if I don't have to.

14. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

I use Discogs daily, both as a reference and for buying (though I usually don't buy daily, if I'm being a good boy). Since I collect some harder-to-find genres of music, Discogs is great for setting up a want list, so you are e-mailed if a wanted record shows up for sale. You can do this with "followed searches" on eBay, but there is a limit to how many searches you can follow. I have yet to run into a limit on Discogs...and I have hundreds of records that are on my want list.

I would say about 75% of my purchases on Discogs have been fine. The rest tend to be a little over-graded or the sellers take a long time to ship items. Generally it's no better or worse than eBay in that regard. If the item isn't worth what I paid for it, I ship it back.

Dave and steelydanguy like this.
  15. klockwerk

klockwerk Forum Resident

I use it every day I'm home.

16. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Look at it of buy everyday your home?

17. efraley

efraley Forum Resident

I used it for the 1st time last week. No problem. I ordered Sun Goddess by Ramsey Lewis for $3 and got a Japan for US pressing!

18. LordThanos1969

LordThanos1969 Forum Resident

Just like eBay, buying on Discogs is a mixed bag. I find when it comes to early pressings of CDs, many sellers do not sell their items under the correct listing. I would never spend more than a few dollars on a CD on Discogs without verifying the pressing with the seller.

19. AlanDistro

AlanDistro Forum Resident

I use it quite often, both to buy and sell, mostly to buy though. I'm still in the building phase of my collection, and it's the easiest way to find specific pressings quickly.

klockwerk likes this.
  20. andrew stearns

andrew stearns Well-Known Member

I'd rather buy on discogs than eBay (unless you find a great seller), but normally discogs blows eBay out of the water..People overgrade on eBay also and ship lps in bubble wrap packaging

21. slinkyfarm

slinkyfarm Forum Resident

Rough estimate, several times a month. The most frequent reason is when I'm ripping a CD and the art that the software finds is for a different pressing.

22. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

I've bought probably about ten things off of Discogs. Most of them were obscure stuff shipped from places like Germany or Croatia, and interestingly I've never had an issue with those. It's the American sellers who don't specify that their "mint, sealed" item is a cut-out that give me a problem. :realmad: I've come to learn that Discogs is probably the biggest marketplace for more obscure stuff. For example, that $220 CD "rare! collectible! out of print!" on the Amazon user marketplace has sold for between $5 and $14 on Discogs (not to me, of course - someone put it up again, dammit).

But as a reference library, I think I've used it every single day since the app came out. Despite being of the "digital generation", I'm still a little bit (read: incredibly) dumb when it comes to this technology, and the barcode reader still blows my mind. Very, very useful! Now, if only my phone didn't turn into a brick inside stores (who am I kidding, I should be grateful the piece of **** actually turns on at all!), I could use it to add stuff I can't afford to my list.

It has a level of specificity and detail that I could have only dreamed of using Amazon or eBay. Amazon: "CD".Price: $42. Wow, lot of help there. Discogs: "CD, this particular version pressed 2004 in a warehouse just outside of Pittsburgh, PA during a rainy spell in June, error on track 4 of San Diego, CA May 2004 pressings not present, most copies ended up in local Pittsburgh record shop Spinning Noise Circles, identifiable by slight bleeding of two different shades of green on back cover where San Diego pressings have smooth transition, if held up to light inner hub reads "YOU MUST HAVE A LOT OF TIME ON YOUR HANDS", suspected production run of only 2,000." Price: $5.42.

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  23. AxC.

AxC. Forum Resident

I've bought a few items off Discogs and only had one semi-bad transaction which the seller gave a partial refund. My expectations are not high as I know many sellers will overgrazed their items. Hence I usually go with NM grade and hope to get a VG+, of course at a cheap price.

I try to categorize my records on their site, but a lot of times its a PITA when one album can have 10 different pressings all with different matrix numbers.

24. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Lots of the pictures don't match the records. So if you're using it to settle an argument always get a 2nd opinion.

25. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

When I am ripping CDs to FLAC and I need more info for the tagging, I find cat #s, and additional info to be good. But I have seen very poorly entered info, such as song running times reversed where side one has side two's timings.

Lots of mistakes rather than missing info.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.