“The 3” - A bit of a game

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Drew D. Saur, Oct 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ted Dinard

Ted Dinard Forum Resident

Did we mention Little Richard yet?

World-class vocalist, no doubt in my mind. There is nothing else like his voice in rock and roll: one of the great vocalists of all time. Turns the world from black and white to technicolor (as Keith Richards said) every time you hear it.

Songwriter? "Jenny, Jenny," "Long Tall Sally," "Tutti Frutti," "Slippin' and Slidin'," "Lucille"--rock music simply would not be what it is without his songs.

Instrumentalist is the iffy part. A driving rock and roll player, but he's no Jerry Lee Lewis.

2. Jonboy

Jonboy Forum Resident

Dolly is, as you correctly observed, a national treasure. Fantastic, world-class songwriter, superb vocalist. The only area she falls down in IMO is as an instrumentalist. She's a '2' for me. But I still love her :)

3. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

Just listen to "Blue, Red and Grey" and tell me this isn't a great singer.

ledsox likes this.
  4. ledsox

ledsox Senior Member

Exactly, and the fact that he sang lead on Who material when a guy named Roger was right next to him speaks volumes. I don't hear a drop off in quality just timbre.
    Actually, when I first heard Pete's Rough Boys, I remember thinking "why is Roger singing on this?"
    Pete was (is?) a powerful and expressive singer and I'm sure plenty of songwriters would love to have him sing their songs.

5. D.H.

D.H. Forum Resident

Roy Wood.

[​IMG]

He's a great songwriter, a talented multi-instrumentalist and has an awesome voice.
    Just check out the stuff he did with The Move, ELO, Wizzard and as a solo artist.

His solo albums Boulders and Mustard, on which he (almost) plays all the instruments and sings all the harmonies, are proof of this. Brilliant pop and rock on those two.

6. Steve G

Steve G Senior Member

Jack Bruce, Joni Mitchell, Janis Ian, maybe Lady Gaga, I would say Neil Young although unique in all three, definitely Prince, Marvin Gaye. Hmmmm...

7. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

David Crosby.

He's got the voice, he's got the guitar chops (weird tunings & chordings galore), and he's written more than a few classics for sure.

If nothing else, he's got Melissa Ethridge's seal of approval.

8. Drew D. Saur

Drew D. Saur Forum Resident Thread Starter

How about...Merle Haggard?

primejive and Sneaky Pete like this.
  9. Drew D. Saur

The songwriting credits for so many of the songs we associate with David Crosby are very much shared with others. In CSN, Graham Nash (who, if he were an amazing instrumentalist — not to say he isn't very very good — would be "The 3") and Stephen Stills are the ones responsible for the greatest percentage of the famous output.

10. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

David wrote a number of songs that a lot of people cherish. It's the guitar chops I would question. He's a capable rhythm guitar player (seen mostly with the Byrds) but is otherwise very limited in his abilities. He has never been any more than the second-best guitarist in any group he was in.

11. Drew D. Saur

Here's one from left field on my followup list:

Teena Marie?

12. andy749

andy749 Senior Member

Lowell George

Sneaky Pete likes this.
  13. Drew D. Saur

Very good suggestion - thank you!

14. Drew D. Saur

...and what about Bob Mould?

15. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

In terms of Dolly's voice I think she is one of the best. I would never want Streisand or Karen singing this (who I both love). A great vocalist doesn't have to be technically perfect. It's all about the feeling!
    Two things I learned about Dolly today was that she came up with the riff of Jolene and she wrote that song and I Will Always Love You practically the same night. That's pretty brilliant.

One of my fav Dolly vocals:

16. LPMusic

LPMusic New Member

Jerry Garcia

17. LPMusic

LPMusic New Member

I hate country but Brad Paisley

18. LPMusic

LPMusic New Member

John Mayer - killer guitar player and awards for vocals and songwriting

19. DJ FeltTip

DJ FeltTip New Member

I agree with Freddy Mercury. Underrated piano player, his compositions were just stellar, and we all know about his voice.

20. DJ FeltTip

DJ FeltTip New Member

I would say yes.

21. Drew D. Saur

22. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

World Class instrumentalist with breath-taking chops is a monumental achievement in itself. Most players on the "World Class" level are devoted almost solely to paying their instruments. Maybe my standard is too high in that sphere, but that precludes most of the Rock and Pop music world. There are some great players but most are not breathtaking.

23. Drew D. Saur

Anybody in the non-Pop and non-Rock worlds you can think of?

Sneaky Pete likes this.
  24. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

Great players and some composers but most don't sing. John Coltrane, Keith Jarrett, or even James Booker or Leonard Bernstein. Antonio Carlos Jobim but his singing is a little flat. I love Joni but she was not a dazzling instrumentalist.

I guess Ray Charles, Stevie Wonder, and Frank Zappa my qualify.

But a player like Steve Vai is much more of a virtuoso than Frank. Maybe I'm being to literal minded.

25. Drew D. Saur

Sounds like you are thinking critically, which is the best way to play the game....I hadn't thought of Zappa because I didn't think of him as being a world-class singer, but his was probably the best concert I ever saw....

Sneaky Pete likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.