Daredevil - Netflix Original Series

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Dr. Pepper, Apr 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. R. Cat Conrad

R. Cat Conrad Almost Famous

Binge watched the second series over the past two days. Loved the acting and the storyline. Yes, the pacing could've been a little tighter, but the story progressed at a pretty good clip while building a couple of strong secondary-stories that gradually merged before the finali. So far, Marvel Studios has provided some real solid fare for Netflix. It seems to me that everyone is getting their money's worth. :righton:

:cheers:
    Cat

Mazzy likes this.
  2. musicalbeds

musicalbeds Strange but not a stranger

Only five episodes in, and I can't figure out why anyone would give it a negative review.

If the pacing is too slow, go watch a PG Marvel movie. IMO, this is high quality, slow burn stuff, not fluffy kids entertainment for those with no patience, so the pacing is great.

3. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Five eps in, I totally agree. However, the back half has problems, though I wouldn't characterize them as pacing problems, but rather as plot problems.

musicalbeds likes this.
  4. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I'm only two episodes in, but I thought I'd post some of my thoughts on what I've seen so far.

First off, the Daredevil costume looks ridiculous. I like the kevlar look of the suit itself but the mask just looks dumb. The horns are a stupid touch (yes, I know the character has them in the comics, but they're still dumb). Secondly, for a series I found to be pretty gritty and realistic (comic book aside) in the first season, it seems they've ramped up the schmaltz factor that Marvel is known for in this second season. The lawyers accept bananas, pie, and pastries for their work? Uh, ok, I get it, hell, everybody gets it: they're good guys! However, does it have to be so blatantly reinforced? :rolleyes: Lastly, dang it, I don't like the Foggy Nelson character. I just don't. Firstly, "Foggy" is a stupid nickname and secondly, he's too righteous and predictable as a character (I suppose the same could be said of Karen as well).

Tree of Life likes this.
  5. Totally Agree. I love how some scenes play out slowly especially relations between people.. There is enough faced paces portions.

musicalbeds likes this.
  6. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

I was thinking more along the lines of the hospital massacre in The Frighteners.

7. Andy Smith

I'm 8 episodes in. Loving it. Very wordy, very thoughtful. I like the pacing.

8. Andy Smith

Getting paid in bananas is a nod to Daredevil's history. Matt & Foggy used to run a free legal clinic called the Storefront and clients paid what they could. I'm glad they kept this nod in. Also, Foggy is my favourite character. He's a light in the dark - and there's ALWAYS been too much dark in the mag. Going the route the writers have gone, we're never likely to see the Black Widow/Hawkeye/Daredevil love triangle or The Owl done properly. Or even Karen Page's career as an actress and death at the hands of Bullseye. That said, I'm thoroughly enjoying the latest vision of the character.

musicalbeds, Vidiot, Lonson and 2 others like this.
  9. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry? Thread Starter

Finished! Loved it! Better than the first season, imho. Punisher was awesome, but casting on Electra could have been better. Also, Matt was sometimes made out to be a real jerk to those close to him.

musicalbeds likes this.
  10. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

Now that I've finished the second season of Bosch on Amazon Prime (it's excellent by the way...) I can devote my time to season 2 of Daredevil. Then I can quickly jump into season 2 of the French series The Returned.

It's a surfeit of riches in streaming land....

11. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

Wait, about the comics Karen:

Did Bullseye kill her? I was thinking Kevin Smith had her OD? But I could certainly be remembering wrong. I just know - or thought I knew - that it was Smith who killed her off.

12. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

90% of your objections are from the original comic. It's the nature of the piece. Watch something else.

The casting is unbelievably good, for anybody who knows the comic well. And I think Foggy is the central voice of reason and the conscience of the story, to always kind of yank us back to the moral center.

BTW, the single best moment in the series so far -- and I'm doling it out slowly, no more than 2 shows per night -- was when younger Murdock punches the guy who killed his father, and I burst out laughing when he knocked a tooth out that clattered around on the floor on the right channel. That's the funniest mixing joke I've heard in many years. I had to stop and play it back three times to make sure I actually heard what I thought I heard.

13. Andy Smith

Open to the house I guess. I've not bought comics regularly for some decades but in a run I have, Bullseye gets her in a church. Now, rebooting a comic universe isn't unheard of, so maybe I'm hopelessly out of touch. I remember she had HIV at one stage too. Lives quite a complicated life/death, does Ms Page.

[​IMG]

musicalbeds likes this.
  14. musicalbeds

Yep, HIV positive, sold DD's identity for a fix when she was a junkie hooker..... her character is tragic in the comics.

It's nice to see her played close to the original early KP....I always liked Karen's character in the early comics.

Matt is a jerk to his friends... it's part of the comic storyline, and has been for a few decades.

Tree of Life likes this.
  15. musicalbeds

There's a few issues with Spider-man involved, where Matt's jerkiness is front and centre.

There's also a great Punisher story, with Matt, where Spidey is waaaaaay out of his element, lol. Matt's a great character, as is DD.... there's been tons of great stories with him in it over the years, with that jerk aspect involved.

16. Scopitone

No, that's right. Thanks for the memory trigger pic. I recall the scene now.

17. Scopitone

I like the three of them as a spectrum of what they do. Spidey is relatively hopeful about humanity, despite the tragedy he's suffered. DD is a bit darker and grimmer. And Punisher has no faith whatsoever. Bad is bad and must be exterminated.

musicalbeds likes this.
  18. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Why do I need to 'watch something else' when I've already said I enjoyed the first season? I was commenting on some things that bug me; it doesn't mean I hate the series. Thanks for the suggestion though :rolleyes:

19. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Remember Mike Murdock?

20. Andy Smith

The swingin' hep-cat 'twin brother' ? How could we forget?

smilin ed likes this.
  21. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Hey, you could go watch the Ben Affleck version. :sigh:

So far, I think the reviews and acclaim for the 2nd season have been pretty good from most critics. I agree that the second season has not been as well-received as the first; at the moment, it has a 76% on Rotten Tomatoes, which isn't terrible but is not perfect.

22. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Season 2 has knocked this show down from a top-tier show to a second-tier show for me. The more I think about it, the more I think it was an unfocused mess, with too many characters and misfiring sub-plots, like the hand & blacksky nonsense. They should have stuck more with the lawyering side of things, with the Punisher story plus more Fisk machinations. That's what made season 1 so good - sustained focus and very little OTT pulp.

GodShifter likes this.
  23. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

I'm through the first four episodes, and I'm bummed that the Punisher story is already over, for now at least, but I guess we're onto Elektra?

Anybody want to explain to me how Punisher gets his hands on a razor blade so as to cut his bonds when he's captive of the Irish gang? Did he put the razor in his wrist wound or bandage, and then go to the carousel in anticipation of a showdown? The fact that he rigged explosives to the money case in his van would seem to indicate he planned his capture, or was at least prepared for that eventuality.

I really think the series is excellent so far, especially considering D'Onofrio's absence leaves a big hole to fill.

24. Just you wait Henry Higgens.....

25. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Yes.

wavethatflag likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.