Steely Dan Aja vinyl shootout

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sam, Aug 12, 2013.

1. Pappas3278

Pappas3278 Forum Peasant

Actually that is an 'AB' original. They used the original stamper and just crossed out the 'B' and added the 'AA" because the catalog# changed.

RancherinAz, chacha and Slick Willie like this.
  2. Sam

Sam Senior Member Thread Starter

There you go. $7 for a pressing that came from the master tape which is NO longer around. A pressing that blows all others away----and not many people know about it. Yeah, this forum is great.

3. Yup, read your profile before I posted. Still curious to know the serial number you have though. I also remember hearing here or possibly over on the asylum, that later Cisco copies were problematic. I also have a CSM first pressing and 2 other first pressings, as well as a handful of other versions.

In addition, I borrowed a clean mofi for a month from my good pal, who joined me in an AJA shootout, at my place and at his with his system ( Elac FS208, Bryston 4BSST2, Ortofon Bronze, etc..) and we both came to the same conclusions. I think it's important to note that we played them often and we also played them loud. As a matter of fact, our situations are such that we both tend to play moderate to loud at home. And in both homes/systems, the Cisco just sounded better. I wouldn't get rid of either however, as they are both a really great listen.

Love Steely Dan. If you got 'em, play them often, and play them loud!

Last edited: Mar 25, 2016
  4. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

The Cisco IS better than the MoFi. I don't think there's a question. Its frequency response is more balanced. But it's not as good as my AB pressing.

I have a bunch of albums which I brought upstairs to my LP shelves that I haven't put back. It's in those. I'm hoping I'll be able to locate my Cisco pressing and report back with the serial number. Perhaps that will help explain my reaction to it.

DangerousKitchen likes this.
  5. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

It's just super hard to better a first press of this ...or purt much any title. But the AB's (earlier the better) just have the mojo!!! Sprinkled with the dust fo' sure.:righton:

6. Cool. To clarify, the only contenders in our shootouts were the early first pressings and the Cisco. The mofi did not place as high as either of these.

Slick Willie likes this.
  7. Slick Willie

As a MoFi owner, I would say so...I put it behind the AA press.

8. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Just a question but.... how can the mastertape of a highly successful album like this simply vanish? Especially since Steely Dan is a band that seemed very concerned about sonics.

9. AnalogJ

Ah. Found it! It was among my "to be discarded" pile.

Steely Dan aja

"30th Anniversary All Analog HQ-180 LP"

Cisco
    S/N: 2033

I have probably played this copy 4 times.

10. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Cool. Curious as to how you know?Thanks

11. Slick Willie

Common knowledge...on this forum at least. More curios is how you didn't know...:p

12. Sam

Sam Senior Member Thread Starter

I've asked that same question in some other thread. Go figure. I have to believe that Cheech and Chong were at the first transfer for mastering. "Oh wow man, that sounds great." "Hey man, what'cha wanna do with this tape?" "Oh wow, man, like, just throw it on that pile of tapes over there---the cleaning guy will take care of it." "Ok, man, yeah, let the cleaning guy take care of it---Hoo, ho."

13. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Haha.... but when you consider the band's reaction when "The Second Arrangement" got accidentally erased it seems strange that a complete mastertape managed to vanish.

14. Is that you Tom? :) Sorry, but I've just never heard anyone else have such disdain for the Cisco except you and that guy.

Seriously though, that's a relatively low serial number and in the same range as mine. Glad you found it and hey, if nothing else, take comfort in the fact you will get three to four times the value for the Cisco on resale as opposed to a decent early AB original.

15. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Didnt think i would have a chance to grab one of the Ciscos, but i grabbed a near mint copy off discogs this week. I was waiting to grab one with the original packaging and outer poly bag.

I have so far had the first Japanese edition and the Back to Black edition. I didnt like the Japanese edition as it sounded too thin to my ears. The Back to Black sounded quite good actually but had a weird inner groove distortion issue. I never ever have problems with this and there are other comments about this on Discogs under the Back to Black version...so it seems to be a widespread problem.

In short, this Cisco tops the issues i have listened to. More details, and the sound is suprisingly full and lush. The reason i say this is that some mentioned it didnt have as much body to it. Well, im certainly not getting it. In fact, there seems to be plenty of bass and warmth to this. Very impressed and i dont have to waste any more money looking...im very happy....as much as i was with the Speakers Corner Cant buy me a thrill, which i also highly recommend.

16. AnalogJ

The Cisco (I have a 1st press) has plenty of body. It's just that the midrange is somewhat muffled and the top end rolled off.

17. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Now I need to go home and dig through my three copies of Aja and see what I have

Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
  18. Monsieur Gadbois

Monsieur Gadbois Senior Member

[​IMG]

GentleSenator likes this.
  19. Monsieur Gadbois

Monsieur Gadbois Senior Member

[​IMG]

20. AnalogJ

I'm glad you caught that before the poster had a chance to correct it.

Would this be "Take On My Cousin Dupree"?

Monsieur Gadbois likes this.
  21. Samh

Samh New Member

I have 2 copies of Steely Dan Aja that I thought were both 1st press but look different.
    Can someone shed some light?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 15, 2016
  22. Slick Willie

First pic looks like a club press....RCA music service....maybe? They usually use a rubber stamp type thingie that would be next to impossible to see on a black jacket....

john lennonist likes this.
  23. Preston

Preston Forum Resident

I have a mint Japanese white-label promo that sounds just a tiny bit less good than my mint U.S. first press. The Cisco would be next. I have another Japanese copy that I'd put in fourth place. Can't really complain about any of them though! They all sound good! :)

richbdd01 likes this.
  24. audiotom

audiotom I can not hear a single sound as you scream

I have the AB, Cisco, MOFI and Japanese copies
    I like the Cisco best but the AB certainly is on the same magical par

The Cisco side one is my go to component testing and demo disc
    I know every nuance and can immediately tell when there is more resolution in my system
    just stellar and lush

25. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

I think the Japanese lacked a bit of bass and warmth. The Cisco has the best sound of the ones Ive listened to. I actually feel no need to upgrade from the Cisco as it sounds as good as I want it. It is 'slightly' rolled off sounding in the treble but overall I just like the sound of it.

Preston likes this.