24 bit downloads: Why are HD tracks saying WAV files are not recommended?*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by gazatthebop, Jan 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr Tone

Dr Tone Forum Resident

You better research what FLAC is. There is no changes in audio information just binary compression to save space.

When you take a wave file convert it to FLAC and then extract the wave file again, the wave file that went in is identical to the one that comes out.

FLAC = Free LOSSLESS Audio Codec

2. beppe

beppe Forum Resident

Years ago I was used to play my lossless files using winamp and I've noticed that .shn files sounds better than .flac. Subtle difference but audible
    Shn were not taggable so I've converted all my library to flac by myself without any psychiatric help :D

enfield and Dr Tone like this.
  3. OcdMan

OcdMan Senior Member

That is not how FLAC compression works at all. "Zipping" (ZIP/RAR/7Z/etc) a text document doesn't delete letters, words, punctuation, or anything else from the original file. When you "unzip" your letter, manuscript, novel, text document, or whatever, then everything that was originally there is still there. It's lossless, just like FLAC.

If a certain piece of software can't playback an unmodified FLAC file that sounds identical to the original WAV file, then that is a problem with that particular software. It's not a problem with FLAC. Find another player or decompress the FLAC file into a WAV and play that instead.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2016
  4. Steve Martin

Steve Martin Wild & Crazy Guy

That is like arguing that a zip file compresses a word document by removing parts that you can't read.

If you "decompress" a flac file back to WAV you end up with EXACTLY the same WAV file you started with. Not one bit different. It doesn't remove anything, audible or inaudible.

5. enfield

enfield Forum Resident

I'd rather not compress or decompress any digital signal.If you did the same to a doughnut,it would still be the same doughnut with the same ingredients once compressed and decompressed and should taste the same.But more people in a blind test would prefer the unmolested version,even though nothing was missing from the compressed one.:)

The majority of people find no difference in sound between flac and uncompressed files.(Maybe the fact that flac is so convenient for people who require tagging or smaller file sizes means they will argue that fact all day and night).I would say that through internet experience on discussions on the subject that of the 10-15 percent of people who say they can tell the difference between FLAC and WAV.Invariably they slightly favour the sound of WAV.

Have not personally heard a 24/96 downloaded FLAC file of an album sound as good as a EAC CD ripped 16/44.1 WAV file of that same album

Dave likes this.
  6. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

This is your idea of slightly controversial?

7. Dr Tone

Dr Tone Forum Resident

And now you are on a completely different subject. FLAC vs WAV sound quality. :rolleyes:

missan likes this.
  8. OcdMan

OcdMan Senior Member

Different masterings?

Dave and crispi like this.
  9. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

That is false. I know you probably didn't mean it that way, but your choice of words puts this in the wrong perspective and people less computer-savvy might interpret it the wrong way – that is why I think it's important to be more accurate here. It doesn't remove inaudible data (that would make it more like mp3), in fact it doesn't remove any audio data at all. What it basically does is being like a ZIP file optimised for audio. Makes the contents smaller, but the data is exactly the same when extracted/played back.

10. BlueGangsta

BlueGangsta Forum Resident

That is by far, the strangest, most unrelatable analogy I've ever heard.

11. Dr Tone

Dr Tone Forum Resident

I don't think he knows what binary compression is, and he truly believes that somehow the audio data is still being changed from his doughnut analogy.

Sevoflurane, BuddhaBob, marcb and 3 others like this.
  12. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

When you buy a WAV or AIFF file from HDTracks, they actually send you a FLAC file which is then automatically converted to WAV or AIFF on your computer by the HDTracks downloader program. If you watch your download in real time you can see this happen, or you can ask HDTracks and they will confirm this is what happens.

Kyhl, marcb, OcdMan and 3 others like this.
  13. crispi

...Thanks for having the courage to use the correct terminology; I was afraid that the word "compression" might open up another can o' worms :shh:

Robert C likes this.
  14. crispi

But I'm sure it still sounds better when he buys the WAV. Something to do with the weight of the files.

Robert C and MrRom92 like this.
  15. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

I do prefer the midrange smoothness and bass authority of my 180gm FLACs

16. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

17. enfield

enfield Forum Resident

You'll be telling me next that all CD seperates players must and do sound the same because the same data is read and ultimately extracted without any loss?

Look,my head is not stuck in the sand on this one.I will accept that what i can hear as a clear preference in the sound quality of WAV over FLAC may be down to other factors rather than just the binary data..It may be that Ripping over downloading is partly the answer.The fact that my FLAC files were made with dBpoweramp,whilst my WAV files were made with EAC.ect..But the fact remains that i will trust my ears with regard to sound quality rather than those saying i must be wrong.

Lucca90 and Dave like this.
  18. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

Love these threads :-popcorn:

MrRom92 and Rolltide like this.
  19. OcdMan

OcdMan Senior Member

No, but the exact same CD will sound the same whether you store it in a big cardboard box or a small paper sleeve.

Grant, crispi, Doug Sclar and 4 others like this.
  20. Dr Tone

Dr Tone Forum Resident

I give up. First he says that a wav used to create a flac would not be same wav extracted from it. Then backs it up by saying that wav files sound better than flac. 2 different topics.

Sigh!!!

21. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

I wish I could trust anyone as well as you trust your ears :rolleyes:

22. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

I feel that I need to intercede here. While I can find some logical reasons to support your conclusion (the sonic differences), your facts are very mixed-up here.

You do not appear to understand the difference between lossless and lossy compression schemes. FLAC is lossless. MP3 (and many others) are lossy, and do exactly what you describe above. But FLAC does not do this, and in fact perfectly preserves the original bits. This is why everybody is jumping on your posts.

However, despite what I have just said above, there is actually a controversial way in which a FLAC file has the potential to sound different from an otherwise identical wave file. This potential difference is only because a computer has to go to more effort to decode a flac file than it does ot play a wave file. This additional effort that the CPU spends decoding such a file has the potential to generate more power supply noise, and this noise has the potential to result in a noisier signal with slightly more jitter.

Assuming that all of this is true, then there is at least a somewhat plausible means for FLAC to potentially sound different from an otherwise identical WAV file when logic would otherwise dictate that no differences can possibly exist.

And for the record I'm not claiming that I can necessarily hear this difference. I'm only looking for a potential cause behind many people's claims that they do.

Grant, soundQman, Kyhl and 4 others like this.
  23. OcdMan

OcdMan Senior Member

And any of this potential will be completely eliminated if you simply decompress the FLACs back into WAVs before playing them. If you're not concerned about certain tags and you have the room on your hard drive, then the larger file size of the WAVs won't matter.

24. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Why would someone go through the trouble of creating a digital media center and not want tag-rich files? Half the fun of having a big library is all the crazy organizing I'm able to do by filtering tags.

crispi, OcdMan and Ham Sandwich like this.
  25. Archimago

Archimago Forum Resident

Great post TarnishedEar.

One small change I would make to the comment is that yes, you could (but unlikely) "excite" a bit more noise with the extra processing but not jitter these days; especially with any decent asynchronous interfaces (USB, ethernet). Jitter results from variation in the clock feeding the DAC and I have yet to run into a situation where CPU decoding will cause a problem. An extremely slow or multitasking and overloaded computer may not keep up in realtime and result in buffer-underruns resulting is gaps or stuttering, but this is not jitter.

Robert C, Kyhl, c-eling and 1 other person like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.