Box sets that didn't disappoint

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by redeemer, Dec 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spencer1

spencer1 Great Western Forum Resident

2. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

I hate when they pull that crap !
    Two Fine People (non lp A-side)
    was left off the Cat Stevens box :realmad:

Matthew Tate likes this.
  3. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I'm sure someone already mentioned this but the Elvis Presley Gold, and Silver CD box sets. Both were a treasure trove of interesting audio for me when I was becoming a fan.

The Killer likes this.
  4. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

The 19 disc one ?

5. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

CLASH SOUNDSYSTEM

Grateful Dead Europe`72

Even with all of the criticism I liked West Coast seattle Boy by Jimi Hendrix

Van halen 1976-1984 studio outtakes is still my all time favorite boxset

Matthew Tate likes this.
  6. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

I have the shrunken reissue , no booklet ! = disappointment .

7. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

I wouldn't worry too much about the booklet, there's tons of Elvis info out there, the Elvis Presley: A Life In Music is a great accompanying title for any Elvis set - can't recommend it enough.

melstapler, Scope J and Mylene like this.
  8. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

Forever Changing - The Golden Age of Elektra Records 1963-1973

[​IMG]

Galley likes this.
  9. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Some of the best MoTown box sets. Still listen to mine quite a bit. I think the Four Tops was done also. Great stuff. Love that J5 one.

10. Khaki F

Khaki F Forum Resident

Strawberry Cream Soda Pop Daydream Limited Edition Box w/DVD. Tommy february6, whom I adore, and it's my favorite box in my collection.

[​IMG]

Cherrycherry likes this.
  11. Gramps Tom

Gramps Tom Forum Resident

AMEN!

danielbravo and mattright like this.
  12. the sands

the sands Forum Resident

The three extensive Elvis box sets from the early 90s, "The King of Rock 'n' Roll: The Complete 50's Masters", "From Nashville to Memphis: The Essential '60s Masters", "Walk a Mile in My Shoes: The Essential '70s Masters".

Miles Davis box sets in my collection: "Miles Davis & Gil Evans: The Complete Columbia Studio Recordings" (1996), "The Complete Studio Recordings of The Miles Davis Quintet 1965–1968" (1998)

These are some of my favorites with so much exciting music that you can dig into them forever. You gotta love Elvis and Miles. They breathed music with such generosity. Perfect box set careers. :)

DTK likes this.
  13. Gramps Tom

Gramps Tom Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I really enjoy Box Sets. These are a few of my top-of-mind favorites.

Galley and Alan2 like this.
  14. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

The Elvis 50s box set that keeps getting mentioned Id have to say at the time wasnt a disappointment. On closer examination it certainly is as far as sound quality.

15. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

The first box-set I saw in my life was Pandora's Box, by Aerosmith. I was 10 when my brother bought it and I couldn't believe my eyes. I still think it's a good box-set.
    Years have passed and tons of box-sets croosed paths with me. My favorite (and most treasured item in my collection) is Europe '72: The Complete Recordings by Grateful Dead, and, a couple of steps behind, 30 Trips. But it would be really unfair not mentioning Biograph, The Original Mono Recordings, Another Self Portrait (Bob Dylan), The Archives Vol.1 (Neil Young), Your Past Comes Back To Haunt You (John Fahey), Grow Fins (Captain Beefheart), The Beatles in Mono (guess who?), The Classic Quartet: The Complete Impulse! Recordings, The Heavyweight Champion, The Complete Village Vanguard Recordings (John Coltrane), The Complete Billie Holiday On Verve (Lady Day), All Good Things (Jerry Garcia), The Apple Years (George Harrison), Starless (King Crimson), the Jethro Tull sets remixed by Steven Wilson, the Immersion box sets by Pink Floyd, and the many many other Grateful Dead box sets.
    An honorable mention to a box set that I never listen to now (because almost all of its material has been released in better quality since then), but that was the first ever I bought in my life: 30 Years of Maximum R n' B (The Who).

16. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

Slayer - The Vinyl Conflict
    Iron Maiden
    Bowie at the Beeb
    Hoping the White Zombie boxset doesn't disappoint

Clanceman likes this.
  17. While there was much that could have been improved, I think the goal was to have a four disc set. This isn't to excuse the exclusion of those tracks but I think they had to balance out what the label wanted, they wanted and the band wanted. We don't know if, perhaps, members of the band asked to have the vintage stereo tracks not included because of the wonky mixes.

http://www.amazon.com/Stereo-Zombie...8&qid=1459522041&sr=1-16&keywords=the+zombies

Did a nice job of rounding up the bulk of the tracks that didn't make that set.

18. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I'd like to add the Buffalo Springfield box set to my list. I'm sure I'm forgetting some others.

Myke likes this.
  19. RollinHard843

RollinHard843 Forum Resident

Magma - koncert zund
    I only had magma live on vinyl prior to owning this, so this boxed set is a real treat for me. So much of the material was new to me with good sound and AMAZING performances throughout. Theres some compression applied to the sound, but its not terrible. You get 12 cds for about 100 bucks, pretty great.

King crimson- great deceiver and thrakbox: love these both, with very few if any complaints

samsondale likes this.
  20. montyburns

montyburns Forum Resident

21. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I love so many of the previously unreleased or rare items on that box, that I am glad I have it, but it was disappointing, in that it a) repeated a lot of tunes between Disc 4 and the others; b) came very, very close to making owning any of the original albums on CD non-essential, except that it did not include a couple of songs (and used an alternate take of another) third album; and c) didn't include the long version of Bluebird, still not available on CD. So it's kind of a baffling and frustrating set, but what's there is great.

Rock66 and Matthew Tate like this.
  22. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

This one's rarely left my CD player since I got it last Christmas!

crispi likes this.
  23. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I agree with you on each point, but the previously unreleased tracks are really good and the booklet is excellent. I think the box was re-released a couple of years ago in a smaller physical format, wasn't it?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  24. Fletch

Fletch Senior Member

I was there. Maybe I should buy that box.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2016
    Crispy Rob likes this.
  25. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I think so, but didn't pay too much attention because I bought it when it first came out. I had been chomping at the bit to get anything more from Buffalo Springfield for ages...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.