Star Wars Episode VII: The Spoilers Awaken

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by DreadPikathulhu, Dec 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. keefer1970

keefer1970 Metal, Movies, Beer!

I finally saw "TFS" on DVD last night. I've had a big stupid fanboy smile on my face ever since. I wonder if I'll have time to watch it again tonight before I have to return it to RedBox? :D

2. balzac

balzac Senior Member

True. But the four minutes of "deleted scenes" fits that description too. It would have to be a pretty "flabby" four hour cut if the other 86 minutes were even less consequential than the four they released.

I'm not saying they should have included hours of raw deleted scenes. But I think it's pretty obvious they held back plenty of stuff at least as compelling as the four minutes they included.

3. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

There's a Force Awakens 4K UHDBD placeholder page at Blu-ray.com, with format specifics and a release date. I've purposely held off buying the standard Blu-ray as I'm about to receive a new Vizio 4K TV, but I can't seem to find any information on the 4K Blu-ray release anywhere else. Has anyone here heard anything about it?

Star Wars: The Force Awakens 4K Blu-ray »

4. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Have you heard anything about other scenes the script included?

It's the accumulation of tiny little cuts that add up to most of the 90 minutes... Shots they don't need, lines that are redundant, pauses that are shortened... Not complete scenes.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2016
  5. Rubber65

Rubber65 Forum Resident

Oh my god that looks so cool. Mon Mothma looks just like the same actress who played in Return of the Jedi. Uncanny resemblance. This new so called anthology, i think that's what they're calling it, could very well give star wars 8 and 9 a run for it's money. Already it looks amazing.

Sondek likes this.
  6. PlushFieldHarpy

PlushFieldHarpy Forum Resident

Is this a remake of The Force Awakens?

7. sgtmono

sgtmono Seasoned Member

The feature length doc is the main event of the special features. It's not revelatory, but it's well done.

8. Rubber65

Rubber65 Forum Resident

No apparently this is a brand new story line that takes place prior to the events of star wars a new hope. How the rebellion acquired the death star plans. it focuses on the soldiers and pilots in the rebellion.

Sondek likes this.
  9. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

What made you think it was a remake of The Force Awakens?

10. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

I've seen complaints from fans about the protagonists in the latest Star Wars movies being female. I wonder if they felt the same way about the Alien and Terminator movies.

Grunge Master likes this.
  11. PlushFieldHarpy

PlushFieldHarpy Forum Resident

Maybe if they featured lookalike clones of Ridley and Linda Hamilton?

12. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

They don't though.

As a side note, I thought Daisy Ridley as Rey was one of the best things about The Force Awakens.

sunspot42, LivingForever and mmars982 like this.
  13. balzac

balzac Senior Member

Again, I'd say that's a plausible scenario (though I'd say there would have to be a few interesting things in those 90 minutes beyond pregnant pauses and redundant lines). But most of the four minutes they gave us wasn't needed either (well, clearly none of it was needed; they cut it all out). All I'm saying is that I don't believe they went all-out in including deleted scenes; and for whatever reason (time, budget, marketing strategy, director's choice) held back a good amount of other deleted stuff of a similar nature to what was included. I don't mind so much, it's more just an objective observation. I don't find the four minutes they gave us very interesting, so I would imagine the same would be true for most of the rest of it.

The paucity of the deleted scenes and the weird fake timecode just make me sense that they put as little time and effort into it as they could, putting just enough of the stuff on there to be able to put "Deleted Scenes" as a bullet point on the release specs.

They know hardcore fans (not including myself, I should note) would love alternate takes, biffed scenes, gag reels, etc.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but it appears they didn't include the litany of trailers on this release either, and I know a lot of SW fans would love to those trailers that they already so fondly remember. Again, no trailers (surely, the easiest thing to include on a release) screams "holding stuff back" to me, and/or being stingy.

14. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

I thought that was an odd omission as well. I feel like literally almost every home video release includes the trailer(s) in the bonus features. Not really a big deal to me, but it did seem strange.

I think the lack of audio commentary is the biggest slight. Is JJ Abrams one of those directors that doesn't do them? Even if they didn't have Abrams do it, they could have easily done one with cast and other crew. I'm 99% sure that is being intentionally held back for a later release.

15. Squealy

I kind of doubt there were many more extra scenes than whatever is on the Blu-ray. It's a Star Wars movie, they knew it would have to move forward quickly and not have a lot of digressions.... it was probably a pretty tight script. Plus most of the scenes are expensive. It's not like a Judd Apatow movie where they can spend time shooting dozens of improvised scenes and alternate lines and whatnot, looking for a big mass of material to cut the movie together from.... sci-fi blockbusters are planned out pretty carefully. I don't think any of the other Star Wars movies have extensive deleted scenes, do they?

16. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

There are quite a few actually. Luke at the Tosche station is pretty extensive. Most, if not all, can be found on Youtube.

music4life likes this.
  17. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

This is good...

18. Squealy

By extensive I meant more like 20-30 minutes.

But, Billy Budapest has the scoop in the other Force Awakens thread so I guess there's more than I figured:
    Maybe they didn't want to include stuff that didn't fit with the film's continuity because they rewrote (as opposed to scenes that were simply omitted and could still be considered to have taken place.)

Encuentro likes this.
  19. balzac

balzac Senior Member

I don't think anyone would expect a 20-30 minute deleted scene. I would guess relatively few films have a single, 20-30 minute scene or sequence that was cut out. That tends to happen with films where, say, the studio wants them to re-shoot an entire ending sequence or something. Even many "alternate opening" or "alternate ending" sequence I've seen for films don't get into 20-30 minutes.

Even lengthy "deleted scenes" rarely go beyond a few minutes each in length.

As for commentaries, didn't JJ Abrams do commentaries for both Star Trek films? I think there was some grumbling that his commentary for "Into Darkness" was initially exclusive to "download" copies only, though that was part of larger series of complaints over the "Into Darkness" bonus features being spread across about 27 different exclusive variations. They eventually threw everything together into a two-film "Star Trek Compendium", including the commentary.

Abrams also did a commentary for "Super 8." I haven't looked up the rest of his films. But he certainly is open to doing them, and maybe even enthusiastic about it.

20. Squealy

I meant the total running time of all the deleted scenes.

21. balzac

balzac Senior Member

Ah, okay. I guess then we're back to my supposition which is that I think it's quite likely they have at least 20-30 minutes of deleted scenes from the film of a generally similar nature to the four minutes they put on the Blu-ray.

22. SgtPepper1983

SgtPepper1983 Forum Resident

I like how a year ago this would have broken the internet and now it's 'oh, a new Star Wars trailer.'

23. Squealy

Maybe they figured you can see these on the internet any time you want.

24. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

It remains to be seen how much people are excited by or interested in it, depending on how many views it gets within 24 hours.

Encuentro likes this.
  25. Clipper Sylvania

Clipper Sylvania L'écharpe d'abricot

I don't disagree with your view that it looks amazing. It's very lucky that it has 1977's audio/visual aesthetic to carry it. Were that aesthetic removed, I couldn't say that this movie would interest me in the least. On the other hand, outperforming The Force Awakens wouldn't be very difficult in my book.

As for Mon Mothma, her name is Genevieve O'Reilly, an Irish actress previously known to us for playing Mon Mothma in Revenge of the Sith. I hope a place was found for Caroline Blakiston, who had the role in 1983.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.