Remembering The Brothers Gibb. . Yes The Bee Gees..

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Psychedelic Good Trip, Apr 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere Thread Starter

Love or hate em..The bee gees have had an amazing career changing their music styles to adjust to the changing times. Psychdelic.. blues pop rock ,country.. disco.. etc. The brothers with their talents knew how to adapt despite crisis or praise. It all came down to a day in July 1979 in Chicagos Komisky Park. Disco demolition night a backlash partly towards the Bee Gees late 1970's success. Disco music in general. Share your thoughts memories where you when you heard a bee gees song for the first time. SHARE your thoughts their place in music history. love em or hate em please share your thoughts..and of course your knowledge. .

Disco Demolition Night - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia »

MelodyFair, mdent, Joti Cover and 3 others like this.
  2. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Well, they were some of the best songwriters of all time. And yes, they evolved their style over time.

3. Psychedelic Good Trip

Love the sixties Bee Gees, but people knock the Disco Bee Gees but I'll tell you there 70's music showed a lot of structure amazing stuff even though it was commercial, a lot of people hate disco, still truly amazing song structure writing in the seventies even though I like the sixties early 70's gees the best....

Folknik, blutiga and noahjld like this.
  4. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Love The Bee Gees. When you are a fan of a group you should be able to enjoy all areas.

Darryl

5. Psychedelic Good Trip

:)Gees amazing...

6. Lk4605

Lk4605 Forum Resident

...great guys..

7. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

we all love great producers, I believe Barry Gibb produced more no 1 hits than anybody.
    singer, songwriter and producer. Why isn't he up there with Martin, Spector, Wilson etc?

8. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

Amazing. They seemed to rule the late 1970s.

Psychedelic Good Trip likes this.
  9. You're not wrong, but after going the disco route they lost me. I really like their early stuff!

10. DEAN OF ROCK

DEAN OF ROCK Forum Resident

Odessa is in my Top Ten....

11. PopMusik

PopMusik Well-Known Member

Love the Bee Gees. They produced a lot of close to perfect records.

I especially like the period between 1987-2001. E-S-P, One, Still Waters and This Is Where I Came In are personal favorites. You really can't go wrong with disco Bee Gees either for that matter.

12. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

I'm the opposite -- it's their mid-'70s material that got me into them. That's what I grew up listening to and what I prefer. Had they stopped recording before Main Course, or continued in their earlier style, I doubt I would be into them at all -- even though I do like their earlier hits today.

13. the sands

the sands Forum Resident

They had many magic moments. I favor their sound of 1967-68 but the songs was just as irresistably catchy in the disco era only different clothing. I haven't listened so much to what they made in the 80s-90s.

14. gkmacca

gkmacca Forum Resident

I think it's sad they (well, Barry and Robin) never seemed to realise how much they were respected. They always seemed to think they needed to remind people of what they'd done. If they'd relaxed a bit more they would have enjoyed it more. But they wrote some terrific songs.

15. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

Same here. I sampled a bit of what they put out in the early '80s and lost interest.

Psychedelic Good Trip and Grant like this.
  16. Mr. LP Collector

Mr. LP Collector Forum Resident

Regarding the BeeGees in the disco era, I wasn't a fan but I wasn't a detractor. But I also recognized those lp's were monstrous sellers. In fact, when I go to record shows these days, I find their stuff like Saturday Night Fever, Main Course, etc., still sells well. My favorite five songs?

Holiday
    Words
    Massachusetts
    First Of May
    Lonely Days

I agree with Popmusik regarding the releases from the nineties. Good stuff! Nearly a half century of making music. Amazing!

17. Psychedelic Good Trip

Same here I mean I love the Disco gees they were awesome amazing structure like I stated at that time the Gees were a conveyor belt of of hit songs you know they were the Beatles of the seventies as far as I'm concerned I mean they had that popularity at that time you know for the 1970's

Grant likes this.
  18. PopMusik

PopMusik Well-Known Member

You should really give the albums from 1987 until their final release in 2001 a listen. They put out some finely crafted albums during that time in their career.

19. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

They were great.

No doubt about it.

20. bare trees

bare trees Senior Member

I'm amazed by the fact that "I Gotta Get A Message To You" and "Jive Talking" were both written and performed by the same act. Two completely different styles of music yet the Gibbs proved to be successful in both genres.

21. bluejeanbaby

bluejeanbaby Forum Resident

So what was it that changed that made Jive Talkin' take them in a different direction from their earlier material?

22. Tanx

Tanx Forum Resident

I second bluejeanbaby; I was a fan of both their '60s and '70s music but never could figure out why they made such an abrupt turn stylistically.

I think many on this forum remember the release of "Saturday Night Fever." So incredibly monstrous--it kept spawning hits for almost two years. Then....the Sgt. Pepper remake. I think that and the death of disco guaranteed the Bee Gees would be a punchline for a couple decades. Glad to see they are finally getting their due.

23. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

24. Cloudbuster

Cloudbuster Forum Resident

It wasn't as abrupt as most people think. Their work with Arif Mardin on the Mr. Natural album (1974) was where things started to change.
    A genuinely transitional effort and an overlooked gem.

25. Cloudbuster

Cloudbuster Forum Resident

One of my faves from Mr. Natural.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.