"11/22/63" Hulu mini-series

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by dirwuf, Mar 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Sometimes, it's solely for reasons of pacing: if they have to tell X amount of story in 8 hours, and it's a 900-page book (as this one was), something's gotta give. They did 36 episodes of Under the Dumb, and they still didn't tell that entire story... which was also about 900 pages long.

2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I see your point, but I was still happy with this....now one of my favorite mini-series.

3. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Reading the damned thing, it seemed like you could have added another zero to that figure.:wtf:

The missus and I have yet to see the finale (probably won't get a chance until the weekend)...my personal thanks to you kind folks in this discussion who have not given too much away (i.e. spoilers) about the way the series ends:righton:

Vidiot likes this.
  4. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

The ending was good, portraying the best parts of the book in a decent way.

Now that I've seen the whole thing, I understand why the stuff that that was cut was due mainly to budget. However, I still wish they had illustrated the negative impact of Jake's actions better. The book goes into a lot more detail when he's talking with Harry, and that could have been added easily with 5 more minutes of conversation, and maybe a newspaper headline or two during Harry's recollections.

I also think they dropped the ball big time with the Yellow Card Man. His dialogue in the book really helps better explain the repercussions of messing with history, and I'm mystified as to why they went the route they did (the drowning girl story). The book also better explains just who the Yellow Card Man is, and why he's there.

Pretty good adaption, all in all, and one of King's better conversions from book to film. Definitely worth watching.

That said - read the bloody book!

Vidiot likes this.
  5. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I finally finished Ep. 4 of this series. It took three sittings. It's really pretty dull. It's like it was made for tv in 1980, it's so squeaky clean and hokey. James Franco must have been shooting for a "Kid's Choice" award with his wide-eyed, Mr. Nice Guy perfomance.

6. Michael

WOW! I totally disagree...yes, ppl were like that in 1963 clean, decent, respectful, dressed beautifully...no filthy underwear showing! lol! ...the PC police were nowhere to be found...wait a minute! it may have been a dream...BUT I WAS THERE AND AM SO GLAD I WAS AND HAVE THAT SQUEAKY CLEAN MEMORY...this was a great mini-series.

mrstats, alexpop and Deesky like this.
  7. Michael

it will be hard for me now to read the book having the characters fixed into my memory...but, I still may...we had a great time watching this...my wife loved it just as much as I did...

8. WillieDaPimp

WillieDaPimp Good bad, not evil

Just finished the entire series, and I enjoyed it thoroughly!

mrstats and Michael like this.
  9. Michael

for me it was like a trip back in time...I thought they did a great job all around...excellent cast! Sadie was so beautifully sweet.

WillieDaPimp likes this.
  10. mynameistaken

mynameistaken Forum Resident

I have now watched every episode except the finale. This is the first Stephen King adaptation I have watched after reading the book. I like the series, but probably would have liked it more had I watched it before reading the book. In many ways I feel it is 'inspired by' rather than a true adaptation of the book. I think if the series had been expanded to 10 episodes, they could have spaced the events out better and be closer to the original story.

sgtmono, Vidiot and jriems like this.
  11. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

Anybody else notice the "Captain Trips" graffiti on the wall after Jake comes back to the nuked out version of 2016? Nice nod to The Stand/Dark Tower. I thought it was weird the way they handled the yellow card man in the show. In the book he was like a guardian of the time portal, which IIRC loosely tied this story to the Dark Tower series. I don't remember him saying much to Jake other than "you're not supposed to be here." Wasn't there a green card man that later explained all of this to Jake after he found the yellow card man dead, with his card turned black?

12. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Yes, there was more with the time-traveling man than was shown in the series. They couldn't do it on TV, because the yellow card man only appeared near the time portal, and Jake in the series only time-travelled a couple of times. In the book, he tries it a half a dozen times.

13. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

Right. I remember he had to go back and retry saving Harry a couple of times. They skipped all that in the show.

14. ohnothimagen

They also skipped the whole section where he saved the girl who gets shot in the hunting accident. And the kids at the high school in Jodie who get killed in the car accident. And a whole lotta other things, but what the hell? If they'd used everything that was in the book the series would be a lot longer. "Leave the audience wanting more", as they say.

15. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I'm not so sure that having lots of going back-and-forth to save various people would be that compelling, as it would dilute the central assassination plot. Doing it once for a very, very special person gives it an extra emotional punch, so I'm happy with what they did.

16. ohnothimagen

Oh, absolutely- across the scope of a 900 page novel, sure, throw in as many subplots as you can get away with, but as far as an eight part, ten hour miniseries goes? Stick to the basic storyline. I'm sure people who heard about this show who hadn't read the book tuned in to see how this guy tried to stop the Kennedy assassination, not watch him try to save a bunch of inconsequential characters along the way.

17. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

The "replacement" Yellow Card Man, and his interactions with Jake, were sorely missed in the mini-series, IMHO. Compelling stuff.

Jake only used the rabbit hole 4 times, if memory serves:

1) Initial short visit
    2) Trip to save Harry's family
    3) Trip to save Harry's family, wheelchair girl, and JFK
    4) Final trip to "undo" everything

Last edited: Apr 8, 2016
    mrstats and Vidiot like this.
  18. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

Sure. I do think the book could have been shorter. I think that of a lot of King's stuff. But I liked the idea of the past throwing up roadblocks to the point where he had to go back and try again. The show could have been a little longer I think. One or two more episodes.

19. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

I agree, but Harry was one of the most important characters in the show and the book. Jake was obviously emotionally invested in him. I liked that subplot in the book where he had to try a couple of times to save him. It showed Jake's dogged determination.

Vidiot likes this.
  20. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Supposedly, the 'past' throws bigger roadblocks for more significant events, like the JFK assassination, which begs the question how does the 'past' determine which events are more 'significant' than others and significant to who or to what??

21. Also: some of those roadblocks involve some serious traumas to a lot of people who otherwise would've been unaffected - wouldn't those have serious ripple effects themselves?

This whole aspect of how time travel works is something I think could've been handled better in both the book and TV series.

22. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

Good question.

23. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Is this available on DVD yet?

24. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

25. ohnothimagen

Finally watched the finale last night...very happy they didn't f-ck up the ending, as I think it's one of King's best (thanx to his kid for suggesting it!)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.