Alex Winter trying to save Zappa's Archives on Kickstarter

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by redflag, Mar 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

Oh yeah, and they surpassed $1M already. New stretch goal of $1.25M!

dlokazip likes this.
  2. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Nowadays, I usually invest all the time I can to apprehend and digest music (that means, when I'm not working, writing, reading, watching films, etc). When I started listening to Zappa, I had tons of free time, and I spent a couple of years listening to his music almost exclusively. It's a really demanding (and rewarding) discography!

3. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

IMO, when it comes to the Moon & Dweezil 'rift', i say...
    They had YEARS to 'clean, categorize, and SAVE THE VAULT!!!!
    And, hell, if THEY'RE not gonna do it...
    At least, Alex is gonna , AND, he may keep us 'in the loop' as to what he finds, how it can be 'saved', and....
    for the cheapest 'donations', some 'downloadable' GOODIES!!!

4. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

I wonder how many of us got into Zappa the same way. I was living in a bedsit with a lot of time on my hands mainlining Zappa for months on end before I really found my feet with him.

Rne likes this.
  5. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I started listening to him in 1999 (even though I knew form his existence long before), and when I first saw the catalogue that came with the Ryko re-releases I immediately knew it was going to take quite a lot of time. Then, when I realized which kind of music I was dealing with, it dawned to me it was going to take even longer.

Lost In The Flood and ParloFax like this.
  6. ian christopher

ian christopher Argentina (in Spirit)

Ahmet Zappa was given control of the trust just prior to Gail's passing.

7. vince

Back in the late- '80's, the 'spacing' of the Ryko re-issues was the perfect way to slowly ease into "Zappa-hard-core-freak-ness'!
    Lucky for me, during those years, I found UK EMI versions of the "Ship/Utopia", "SY", & "Does Humor.." CD's!
    They were over $20 each, but, I still have 'em!

8. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

I'm in total agreement here.

Gail did things (good and bad) that Frank wouldn't have approved of. Gail chose to pass the torch to Ahmet. Ahmet is going to do things that neither Frank nor Gail would have done, but it's his baby now. I imagine that when the kids are split 2-2, Ahmet's side wins.

Moon may very well have a better idea about what Frank would have wanted, but I've never gotten the feeling that she ever wanted to run the show. It's a lot of work. I think that's why Dweezil isn't doing it, either. Between the ZPZ and his other projects, he has enough on his plate.

Also, this has to be painful. I mean, they're selling the freaking house. This is personal to them.

I hope that all goes well and that they are able to get past all this.

We have to remember: These are the children of Frank and Gail Zappa. Expecting them not to have strong opinions of their own is beyond unreasonable.

showtaper, Bemsha, DrBeatle and 6 others like this.
  9. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

I don't try and digest music anymore, I just enjoy it. That said, there's a lot to hear.

10. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

For me, it was hearing the title track from Apostrophe for the first time. When I asked what was like that, someone recommended the mainly instrumental albums, Hot Rats, Waka/Jawaka and Grand Wazoo. I lived each of them pretty much instantly and started buying more. I bought every album as it came out, starting with Joe's Garage. The back catalog wasn't as intimidating then because a lot of the early albums were OOP and too expensive for me to buy. The only pre Flo and Eddie albums I had before CDs where Uncle Meat and Weasels Ripped My Flesh, plus a taped copy of Absolutely Free and obvious bootleg LPs of Freak Out and We're Only in It for the Money

11. danner

danner Forum Resident

I remember opening a BMG account over summer vacation when I was 14 or so and picking all Zappa for my free selections. That made for a nice primer.

12. vince

How 'bout this 'bit of nostalgia for the old folks..':
    Alex has opened the 818- PUMPKIN line!!! Just call, and tell him how you feel......
    He'll be playing your questions 'on-line' on a COUNTDOWN PARTY that will be streaming LIVE on the Kickstarter site TONIGHT @ 5pm pacific time, and ending at 8pm!
    Be there, or be square!

dlokazip likes this.
  13. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

Nice touch.

14. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Yes. I remember what a happy day I had when I saw the ad for the "FZ 25" Ryko reissues of summer 1990 (even though those ended up having a bad reputation for sound quality).

15. vince

I know... there must've been some 'falling out' between Frank & Ryko, seeing "BWS" & those two '88 band sets came out on the Barking Pumpkin label!

16. vince

So... for those of you who don't know...
    Alex has reached $1M..... but...
    If he can make it to $1,250,000 by tonight, the reward for all who have donated 25 dollars or more, will get what he calls a "Digital Vault App".... whatever THAT means!

Scope J likes this.
  17. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Any word on Uncle Meat / Project / Object ?!

18. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Or the deal just ended (until 1995), not sure.

19. Vaultmeister

Vaultmeister Forum Resident

It's gonna happen!

20. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

:goodie:

vince and dlokazip like this.
  21. vince

HOLY COW!!
    JOE'S IN THE HOUSE!!!

Scope J likes this.
  22. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

I noticed that the Record Store Day single last year was from 200 Motels - The Suites, which was released six months later.

This year, "My Guitar"/"Dog Breath" is a Record Store Day single.

Am I reading too much into that?

rstamberg likes this.
  23. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

Thanks, Joe ! ! !

Scope J and dlokazip like this.
  24. vince

Dearest Joe,
    LOVIN' your little 'goody bits' with Alex...
    and, here's hoping all of us can watch you and Alex save the vault together!

DVEric and Scope J like this.
  25. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

There was also a hint in one of the easter eggs of the Roxy DVD.

vudicus likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.