Marquee Moon is truly timeless

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Halfwit, Jul 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

I would guess that he's been in the same rent stabilized apartment for a long time, or that he bought a small condo decades ago. I've worked most of my career between 18th and 23rd Streets in various offices (and relocated offices) between 5th and 7th Avenues. Every few years I see Verlaine going about his business in that neighborhood... ever since the mid-80's.

I used to see celebrities in NYC fairly often, but less so these days (I don't know the younger ones). Harvey Keitel used to go to a yoga center in the building I worked in on 22nd Street... I rode the elevator with him a couple of times. Mikhail Baryshnikov's pregnant girlfriend was in our birthing class 27-years ago, but he never showed up, she had a female birthing partner. My wife had a nice conversation with John Malkovitch waiting to get her passport renewed, she said he was really funny. Willem Dafoe was in her yogo class for a long time.

I used to see Kurt Vonnegut up in our neighborhood and he's made references in his novels to Turtle Bay Chemists and a couple other places around the corner. He used to walk his dog in Dag Hammarskjold Plaza across from our building and I'd see him at the local grocery store. Once, he was checking out in front of me and he left a box of Cascade in the cart. I said, "Excuse me, I think you forgot this," and handed the box to him. He was very appreciative and said, "Oh thank you, thank you very much," exhaling a sigh of relief. He was just like any other guy, his wife would have given him $h!t for screwing up the shopping list and sent him back to the store.

Imelda Marcos used to worship at the church down the block (expensive shoes sure do look ordinary). I've seen a few actors waiting in line at Hertz or Avis when I was renting a car. Some of them look normal, impatient like everyone else on line. But others - Danny Glover, Tony Bennett - seem to have a perpetual beaming smile pasted-onto their faces just in case somebody snaps a photograph. Always look your best!

Fullbug, dlemaudit, sberger and 3 others like this.
  2. cc--

cc-- Forum Resident

not sure exactly what it is you want to browbeat me into "accepting," or why you've gotten so defensive, like I've insulted a member of your family by the merest hint that someone can feel qualified admiration for Tom Verlaine rather than standard-issue hero worship. Sorry that I don't have exactly the same opinion as everybody else. ("Marquee Moon: flawless masterpiece! Could have been recorded yesterday, so let's celebrate it as if it were! Adventure: underrated gem! It's almost as if the songs were already written when they recorded the first album!") But hey -- super impressed that you know what gives him a tickle. Pretty cool. Almost as impressive as your counting skills and your Wikipedia-level mastery of his discography. Funny though, from your hyper-sensitivity, I was thinking you were his little brother or something.

3. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

Well, I assumed... maybe just a long-term relationship. I knew a guy who had her as an instructor and he met Verlaine at a couple of University functions.

4. cc--

cc-- Forum Resident

you know, I think you provided this info the other time I raised the question. I wish I had remembered so I could have avoided drawing at least some of the flames of Little Johnny Jewel, upthread. Now kicking myself for perpetuating what is in my view the chief drawback of internet discussion forums -- the endless recirculation of topics (er, and drawback no. 2 -- needless combativeness!).

5. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

I am surprised no one has started a Television Album by Album thread. I would like that and would participate.

6. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Heh, funny. The thread is about how timeless Marquee Moon is, right? You don't agree? Fine. So you start your own thread to do that. Otherwise, there's a word for what you're doing. It's called being a Troll. It's fine having a difference of an opinion, but when pretty much everyone is in agreement in a thread that was started to talk about their love of MM, and not "Hey guys, do you like Marquee Moon, or not? And Please tell us why?", that is a thread that you can add your negative opinion. In this thread your just showing how lame you are. But I guess you know that already 'cause I don't see a lot of folks agreeing with you. Do you get it now?

7. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

This album was one of those that I played once when it came out, and never pulled out again. After hearing this, I need to give it another chance. And "Adventure" too.

8. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Some perspective from Richard Lloyd

dlemaudit likes this.
  9. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Just to pop this back up, Shelia O'Keefe Lloyd (Richard's wife) discovered the Oak Park School of Rock cover last night and posted it to Richard's Facebook.

quakerparrot67 likes this.
  10. Kristeva

Kristeva Forum Resident

Excellent job. I'm no musician but I'm guessing that was a brave choice - such a difficult track to 'keep together'.

I remember an old friend of mine who was an accomplished session guitarist (Annie Lennox and various others). One time he decided to serenade his long term girlfriend at her birthday Party and he chose Your Song by Elton John. I can remember him distinctly cringing when he recounted to me how he bombed. "I forgot how difficult a song it was" he said, "I really wish I hadn't picked that song". Sometimes we reach for the stars, and wind up face down in a urinal. :laugh:

11. Chris DeVoe

Yeah, he was a little unsure of the tempo right at the start without the drums or bass as a guide. And the part is (at least to my untrained ears) a mixture of both lead and rhythm guitar parts.

It's one of those songs I could easily see falling into cacophony.

12. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Revisiting this thread as I just picked up a copy of Marquee Moon on vinyl, the Rhino reissue. I did not know before purchasing it that it has the full version without the fade on "Marquee Moon." A pleasant surprise, although I also like the fade. Sounds terrific!

I've also found my way into the second side of the album, which eluded me before. "Elevation" and "Torn Curtain" are stuck in my head on frequent rotation.

Fullbug and Halfwit like this.
  13. Kristeva

Kristeva Forum Resident

I wonder how that Rhino reissue sounds compared to the original. Does anyone know?

14. webmatador

webmatador Friend Of The People

I have both the Rhino and a minty original (PRC pressing). I think the Chris Bellman remaster is a little heavy-handed on the high-end, especially the hi-hat and cymbals that sound extra bright and out of place compared to the original. The Rhino is not terrible by any means, and the original isn't all that great to begin with. The best thing about the butterfly Elektra is the room tone and the cohesiveness of the mix.

Both masterings are bass-shy and clearly the 2-track master was EQ'd at a setting where the guitars and Verlaine's voice can grate on your ears -- you really can't listen to this album loud no matter what copy you have. This is disappointing when you consider that Andy Johns was the producer and engineer.

15. Chris DeVoe

I know this is heresy, but have you considered adjusting your own EQ?

16. webmatador

webmatador Friend Of The People

Not heresy to suggest that at all, but I don't have an Equalizer connected to my setup. Almost everything else I've ever played on it sounds outstanding. In any case, the mid-range on this record has always been pretty harsh to my ears. To me, Marquee Moon is just one of those recordings that will never sound warm without a huge amount of effort -- and if I liked side 2 half as much as I love side 1, I'd make more of an effort.

FWIW, I felt the same way about the Stones' Goats Head Soup being an album that "got away" until I heard the CBS vinyl copy from 1986. Maybe there's another version (German?) out there that will save my delicate sensibilities.

17. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

Fabulous album, not a weak cut on it.

Love Richard Lloyd's tales about Andy Johns--utterly hilarious.

Fullbug likes this.
  18. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

AMEN!

Michael D likes this.
  19. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Haven't heard the Rhino, but Fred Smih's bass is not shy at all on my WLP.

20. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd

This is one of those records that is so fantastic that if the only recording available to me was a scuffed up LP played on a Caliphone all-in-one I'd be grateful for the opportunity to hear it! But thankfully my Elektra vinyl copy from '77 sounds just great!

Fullbug, misterdecibel and Halfwit like this.
  21. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

Richard Lloyd's tales about just about anybody are hilarious.

22. Tanx

Tanx Forum Resident

I've had...."interesting" conversations with Lloyd. He's lived through so many fascinating eras, and he's not shy about telling all. It would be great if someone could sit down with him and put together a coherent memoir. They'd have to double-check every anecdote, but that in itself might be a fun job.

23. Chris DeVoe

As they say "Truth is stranger than fiction."

Tanx likes this.
  24. dead of night

dead of night Senior Member

Lloyd claimed that Jimi Hendrix punched him. Do you think that's true? I've never heard of Hendrix punching or fighting anybody.

25. Chris DeVoe

I could believe it. Remember, Jimi served in the Army. OK, it wasn't a distinguished career, but being a Black guy in the 101st Airborne in 1961 had to toughen you up some.

Also, sometimes strange things can happen in one's life. I could give you a dozen anecdotes from my life that would seem very unlikely, yet they'd be true. Life can be very weird.

Fullbug likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.