MadTV is returning on The CW

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by PaulKTF, Apr 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member Thread Starter

MadTV is coming back and t's coming to The CW.

‘MADtv’ revived at The CW as a prime-time show »

MadTV was very hit-or-miss with me. I almost always liked the TV show/commercial/music video parodies, but hated the annoying, one-note recurring characters.

I'll probably pass on this just because I won't want to bother to remember to watch it.

2. ky658

ky658 Senior Member

You're right, it was inconsistent but had it's moments. It was also something else to watch on a Saturday night...Now, if USA or someone else would bring back "Night Flight", that would really make my day :)

clhboa likes this.
  3. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

Well...I'm Mad at TV

4. samurai

samurai Step right up! See the glory, of the royal scam.

Loved MadTV. Now for a new "In Living Color".

5. PaulKTF

They tried to get one off the ground a few years ago but it didn't get past the pilot.

6. Tom in Houston

Tom in Houston Forum Resident

[​IMG]

There are some familiar faces in this group. I guess I've seen them do standup on TV before. I hope they find a viewership that will let them be irreverent and non-maliciously non PC.

7. PaulKTF

Man, that is one old cast... Wasn't MadTV all about featuring young and fresh talent?

8. sixtiesstereo

sixtiesstereo Senior Member

Assuming that picture is the actual cast, there are three major stars not on it.
    No Mo Collins (she should have her own show), no Stephanie Weir, and we've
    got Key but not Jordan Peele. I'm sure it's still going to be good, but what made
    the original so good was the complete cast back then....better than any other
    sketch show before or since.

9. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

I watched it some but doubt I will watch CW just because I have never watched that channel. I don't remember too much about the show but I always thought this skit was funny.

10. I remember really enjoying the first 2 seasons back in the day, then not much else. Stopped watching wholesale shortly after the 2nd season.

11. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Used to love the Britney spoofs they did on the show.

12. sixtiesstereo

sixtiesstereo Senior Member

That's unfortunate, since it was on for 14 seasons, so you missed 12 years of brilliant sketch comedy
    unlike anything else at the time. The first two seasons weren't even close in quality as to what they
    put on in the following years.
    After reading more on the new series, it's an entirely new cast, with each episode having one of the
    original cast members returning as a"host". That stinks........
    At any rate, most of the original sketches from the original series are on youtube. My all time favorite
    cast member was Mo Collins,who had an arsenal of brilliant and hysterical characters the likes of which
    I've never seen since on television. And the most brilliant was Trina, one of the most remarkable
    characters in the history of TV.
    Here's my favorite Trina (Mo Collins) sketch...watch it thru to the end (this was cutting edge
    when it first aired).

mike65! and turnersmemo like this.
  13. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

Seasons 3-5 were on par, if not better than SNL during the same time period (1997-2000).

14. Texastoyz

Texastoyz Forum Resident

Actually from the very late 1990's until around the time that the 2008 election kicked off Mad TV was often superior to SNL. After the Sarah Palin/Election stuff, SNL gained viewers like it hadn't had for years and Mad's budget was slashed and the writing started to tank. Since it wasn't considered an institution like SNL, bye bye.

15. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Never saw MadTV but I loved Mo Collins as "Starla" on Curb Your Enthusiasm. What year is this from? Seems like a racier precursor to Kristen Wiig's "Target Lady" character.

16. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

I liked a lot of MadTV's skits. Not everything was a hit, and some of their cast members didn't appeal to me very much, but there were several comedians who were consistently funny. I particularly liked Michael McDonald and Debra Wilson.

17. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

MadTV relied a lot on recurring characters (Miss Swan, Vancome lady, Stuart, etc.) that they really, really ran into the ground. Like, worse than SNL in that regard.

18. PaulKTF

Yeah, that really turned me away. I just couldn't stand to see Miss Swan or Stuart one more time!

19. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

You mean you didn't think it was funny the billionth time you heard Miss Swan say, "He look-a like a man???"

20. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

Looking back, Miss Swan was also a fairly racist depiction of Asian-Americans.

21. PaulKTF

You don't say?! :laugh:

22. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

That's the fun of mad tv and british comedy they don't coddle anybody.
    nor should they..

milankey likes this.
  23. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

They had some funny stuff. Some of the people were really talented.

24. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

For those with thin skins, perhaps MadTV was offensive. Miss Swan was a not flattering Asian stereotype. Debra Wilson did more than one unflattering black female character (particularly Bunifa). There were unflattering Jewish stereotypes (Marvin Tikvah and Dixie Wetsworth -- at least I think Dixie was supposed to be Jewish); gay stereotypes (Dexter on Cabana Chat, the Abercrombie and Fitch guys); and so much more. It's comedy. Unless something is done with malice, I think people would be happier if they just lightened up a bit when it comes to stereotyped characters. For the most part, none of the recurring characters were people you would actually like in real life (though I surely could be entertained by Pool Boy just like Dixie was. That's what makes it comedy.

25. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

I think this is much more a precursor to "Target Lady."

This sketch actually made me give older MADtv a chance. I never liked the show because sketches always seemed to go very much for shock/toilet humor like in the sketch you referred to. Seeing this one and actually laughing at it made me decide to buy season one, which is always cheap, and lo and behold, it was actually funny. I don't know when the humor started veering in the shock direction, but it definitely did and it's not just bias on my part. I watched like a 200th episode special, or something like that, that was a bonus of the season one DVD, fully ready to give it a chance, but it was the MADtv I always hated. That Ms. Swan sketch from season three is funny. I'm guessing I'd like the first five seasons or so. I'm not all that excited for this new series because I think it'll go in the shock direction again. I'll give it a chance, though, especially if some original cast members host.

turnersmemo likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.