Record Store Day 2016 Release Information RSD16

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Rkellner, Feb 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

I arrived to queue at twenty to midnight (arrived first, not because I was particularly desperate to be first, but just fed up of missing out on stuff in previous years). Though the night my son and I were rained on, sleeted on and finally snowed on. Wettest coldest RSD night ever. Open-air queuing is a necessary evil but you do get to meet some great people and re-engage with old battle-hardened comrades from previous campaigns.

Spent 2 quid short of 300. I'm a happy fella as in I got most of what I wanted. My gotta haves were the Slits 10" and the James live Greenpeace album. Only missed out on the My Darling Clementine, Glen Matlock & Clem Burke and the Micky Dolenz singles. (First off, as always, was to get my mate Bill what he couldn't get in Canada. On this occasion his must-haves were a Bluesology single and a live ELP double which he couldn't source in his own country. He, in turn, has managed to get me the New Barbarians, Josh Molina and Shawn Colvin singles that we couldn't get here.) RSD always gets flak but I genuinely love the experience.

One bit of unpleasantness on the night; One youngish lad in the queue was standing alone while his mate nipped in Balti King to use the toilet. From out of nowhere in the pouring rain some laughing nutter ran past and shoved him over. He crashed into the wall, breaking the bottles of beer he had in his backpack which left everything he had covered in broken glass and even more soaking wet. Him & his mate had come over from Hull so what impression that left them of the people from Sheffield you can only imagine. We rallied, sharing our biscuits & drinks. Seemed only right.

Stormrider77, Gardo and Jim B. like this.
  2. MondoFanM

MondoFanM Member from ATX

I looked it up online and it seems to have previously been a digital release from 2009!

Tanx likes this.
  3. countingbackward

countingbackward Forum Resident

Picked up:

The Doors
    Tom Petty
    Fleetwood Mac
    Matthew Sweet
    Sublime
    John Frusciante

Passed on the Alt-J - the price just seemed out of line, probably due to them putting a DVD in with the records. That was the exception though - the pricing was largely fair this year, which was nice to see.

The White Stripes and Lush didn't make their way to a record store near me...

Which still leaves me with a nice little pile of music to listen to.

Pats Radio likes this.
  4. oddsbodkins

oddsbodkins Forum Resident

Got everything I wanted sans the Green River Demos. I severely underestimated the demand for that title... also, most of the stores either didn't get what they ordered or didn't get it at all.

krlpuretone likes this.
  5. JAG

JAG Forum Professor with Tenure

had a good time...got the free dogfish head poster and

phish
    Coltrane
    dizzy
    monk
    Jethro tull
    Hendrix

didn't see the johnny cash on the train or lester youg.....are those around?

6. VintageVibe

VintageVibe Forum Resident

Got to Scotti's about 7:30.

Got what I came for: RSD Hendrix Smash Hits /Alternate Cover with the poster!

7. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

If you look at current Ebay auctions for RSD items, all of the auctions end sometime today or tomorrow. Make sure to nab the impulse buyer before buyer remorse (or common sense for the insane prices) kick in.

8. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

Anyone out there see the Green River Demos?

9. thebeatles67

thebeatles67 Forum Resident In Memoriam

Met Rosanne Cash for RSD in Greenville SC. She played Greenville last night and did a free meet and greet at Horizon Records today.

10. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

Yep. Same here. :(

11. Trace

Trace Senior Member

I didn't stand in line. Drove up to Silver Platters SODO about 10 am. Parked right in front of the store. Honestly, about 90% of this year's list I was not familiar with. Only 2 things on my list I didn't get, The Runaways 7" and The Easybeats. Had a couple I put back, Emmylou Harris & The Johnny Cash Show, because honestly, I'd probably only listen to them once & file them away.

Still ended up spending $108. Checkout line took about 35 minutes, so that wasn't too bad. Glad to see my favorite store doing so much business.

[​IMG]

Radio Birdman: Buried & Dead 7"
    Warren Zevon/Flamin Groovies: Werewolves Of London 7" Picture Disc
    Cheap Trick: Found New Parts 10"
    Rob Zombie: Well Everybody's F***ing 10"
    New Barbarians 10"
    Tom Petty: Kiss My Amps Live Vol 2
    Cheap Trick: The Complete Budokan

12. Vinyl_Blues

Vinyl_Blues Slave to the Groove

Yep! Got me a copy but haven't listened to it yet.

johnnypaddock likes this.
  13. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

Huge pleasant surprise for me as one of the big items I wanted the free Bob Mould live CD that came with a Merge Records zine. Asked all the stores about it. No one had even heard of it. I come home after hitting my 3rd store where I finally got some things I wanted. Opened the bag they gave me which had a bunch of stuff in it. One of them was the Bob Mould zine/CD!!! Made my day.

14. JJAM

JJAM Forum Resident

I can't say that I'm seeing the eBay flippers making too much of a profit these days compared to pre 2015 - a by-product of list prices being higher and perhaps a greater awareness from buyers that many stores will be restocked in a few days, not to mention a lot of RSD product usually being made available on Amazon soon (hell, that's where I got my Zappa 7" and I ordered that last week)...

15. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

My info was the label either shipped extremely late or not at all, which means distributors didn't get it in time to disperse.

16. polchik

polchik Forum Resident

any opinions on something like 'wrecking ball 3LP' ? nonesuch says its a 5000 unit run. i find it a little ridiculous that only a few people in each city might be lucky enough to nab one ….. i wonder if i should pick one up off ebay lol.

i'm guessing it's too late to try and get one in toronto …..

has anyone who grabbed one listened to it yet ?

17. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Repo Records on South Street in Philly opened @9AM, and had a line out the door (of about 40) when I arrived after noon (they were only letting folks in after the same number exited). Line moved at an okay pace, so I was surprised it was just as long after I got out, went for lunch, and had a haircut. RSD stuff seemed to be mixed
    in with normal inventory so, being a middle-aged fat guy whose bin-crawling days are in the rear-view mirror, I just cut to the chase and asked about Patti Smith and the New Barbarians and got shot down (of course). Next door, a noon-six live music marathon was going. I caught some time with each of two bands (Sad Actor and The Whips).

The real action was the free swag in the band venue. Someone else got a Rhino calendar where the pinups were album covers of the Ramones, Zep, and the VU (envy envy), but I scored free Zeppelin re-issue promo crap (stickers, P-ITTOD-Coda buttons, and a 7" square cutout of the color modified "Presence" cover).

18. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Yes. A local Newbury Comics had it as if a couple hours ago.

19. AnalogJ

Who's on it. ;-)

20. Francisx

Francisx Forum Resident

Picked up Coltrane 10 inch vinyl, Bill Evans, Thelonious Monk, Oscar Peterson, The Quartet, Lester Young, Dizzie Gillespie, Escobar, Etta James...and yes "Disney's 10 inch--The Skeleton Dance.....waited 3 1/2 hours in line...got everything I wanted.
    Long day though...hmmm guess I'll listen to some good music. Princeton Record Exchange Rocks!

21. AnalogJ

Actually, that's a perfect epitaph. :)

Mr.Sneis and Gaslight like this.
  22. Ivand

Ivand Forum Resident

Bought Fleetwood Mac's Alternate Tusk. Had to go to a second store (and do a larger line again) to get The Grateful's Dead 1977 show and David Bowie 1966. I regret not grabbing The Sword's release.

23. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

So, am I the only one around here that ran out and snagged that fine reissue of "The Third Power" LP? I jus' cud int rezist!

Grootna, Daniel Thomas and marka like this.
  24. AnalogJ

5000 is actually a big run for that record. YOU may be excited about that record on vinyl (and I would be as well), but think about it - It takes Music Matters over a year or longer to sell out their pressing of 2500 of a given title.

Soundwise, do we know who has mastered it?

polchik and Vinyl_Blues like this.
  25. The Remains kicks ass !!!

Pats Radio and Spitfire like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.