Daredevil - Netflix Original Series

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Dr. Pepper, Apr 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wounded Land

Wounded Land Forum Resident

Just went back and watched the original trailer, and noticed how very Punisher-centric it was. The trailer really leads you to believe that the whole season was based around the Daredevil vs. Punisher dynamic, which, as we found out, only gets the larger story going.

I didn't watch the trailer before I watched the series, and I wonder if that helps to explain my general positive reaction to the latter half of the season.

2. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Just finished episode 9 and to be honest the whole Daredevil/Hand/Elektra bit is just slowing the whole thing down. Edit that out and the rest is excellent. Punisher/Fisk/Foggy and Kate are really superb. As soon as Daredvil/Murdoch drops on screen it just grinds to a halt. This part of the show hasn't been very well written/handled IMO. Started off well but I have nodded off in a few episodes. Didn't do that with season 1.

Still 4 to go!

3. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Finally finished it, and I was a little weary of the amount of kung-fu fighting in this film. (Those cats was fast as lightning! In fact, it was a little bit frightening!)

Just once, I wish somebody would pull out a gun from about 20' away and just shoot somebody.

I liked what was there, but I think Daredevil himself is out of the story for long periods of time, which I don't think helps the story along. It became too much about Kingpin and Punisher... and not that that's a bad story, just it should be in another show.

They also left about a dozen plot threads dangling, which I thought was manipulative and a little deceitful. WTF is with the giant mile-deep pit in the middle of the city? What are the Chinese guys up to? Why can't Stick decide if he's a good guy or a bad guy? How can Matt Murdoch still walk (let alone function) after getting the **** kicked out of him every other day? Why did it take Karen this long to figure out Matt was Daredevil?

I liked the show overall, but jesus...

4. Wounded Land

Wounded Land Forum Resident

Yeah, I totally get the sense that they're setting up The Defenders. Which I'm okay with...

5. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Pretty much what I said, and I've seen them all, so I doubt you will be pleased with the last 4 eps. The story went downhill after the first handful of episodes when they wrapped up he Punisher story line.

Thereafter there were only some good scenes, as opposed to whole episodes, and those scenes dealt with Karen, Foggy, Fisk and Punisher, NOT Murdoch/Daredevil, Elektra, Stick, Hand, Chaste, Black Sky or frigging Ninjas! Just leave the mystic/supernatural crap out (comics be damned).

Another contributing factor to the decline of S2 might have been the change in producers/writers for S2. Not sure why they didn't stick with the original team...

melstapler likes this.
  6. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I have to say, I initially didn't like the Punisher, but I got him by the end of the show. I'm not sure I have enough time to commit to yet another show, but I'll stick with Daredevil for sure. I always liked that character when I was a kid.

melstapler likes this.
  7. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

I think this season is being done to maybe split off more shows. In about 5 years, exponentially, all TV and cinema worldwide will be Marvel universe.

Vidiot likes this.
  8. macdaddysinfo

macdaddysinfo Forum Resident

Rock and hard place, as many of the things that are viewed as danglers don't seem to me to be such questions, but rather open to the mythology that ties some of these things together. As one who knows the stories inside and out, I am pretty sure I know what the pit is for, and what the Chinese are up to, and why there is conflict between stick/Matt... And punisher and Electra were great, imo. The fact that the show is quite satisfying to those that don't know the stories speaks volumes about how well the netflix series is told thus far, imo.

biggest surprise for me-as compelling as Fisk was last season, he is now truly Kingpin. So refreshing, and true to the stories. Contrast that to Tim burton killing the joker.

9. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

As someone who knew nothing about Daredevil, I found season one to be excellent, but season two to be disappointing, so your premise doesn't hold, as far as I'm concerned at least.

GodShifter likes this.
  10. macdaddysinfo

macdaddysinfo Forum Resident

Can't please everybody.

11. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

I'm hoping for a Punisher spinoff. Second season was not quite as satisfying as the first, with The Hand taking up a great deal of the plot, but the return of Fisk and the introduction of The Punisher made up for it. Looking forward to season 3.

melstapler likes this.
  12. Apollo C. Vermouth

Apollo C. Vermouth Forum Resident

I just finished watching Season 1 earlier this morning and have to say I was very impressed with the series so far. Donfrio deserved Emmy consideration for his portrayal of The Kingpin/Wilson Fisk. I've had a few friends say that I might be a little disappointed with Season 2. Now to start watching season 2 later this week.

13. Tree of Life

Tree of Life Hysteria

Agree. You have to know the comic book. "The Hand" is a huge part of the Daredevil mythology, your not getting away from that for a while. Ninja's, Stick, Elektra the same. I really enjoyed both season's of Daredevil equally but both we're very different. The pacing, intro's to the characters that are in Daredevils' world, storylines, are all ringing true to form.

I haven't been able to find anything on a Punisher spin off, although fans are pushing for it hard & heavy. We can look forward to season II of Jessica Jones, Season 1 of Luke Cage and Iron Fist. I think the Defender series will be pushed back until Netflix can get more seasons under the belt for the above characters.

macdaddysinfo likes this.
  14. Voodoo Child

Voodoo Child Just A Flea-Bit Peanut Monkey

The Defenders is due to begin production before the end of the year. Marvel Entertainment announced on 4/15 that the Daredevil season 2 showrunners Douglas Petrie and Marco Ramirez would act as showrunners on the upcoming production. So it looks likely that we'll be getting The Defenders before there's a Daredevil season 3 and that some of plot threads leftover from Daredevil will be picked up by The Defenders.

Tree of Life and Encuentro like this.
  15. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

The ending was pretty much dialled in two episodes or more from the end. So was totally expecting that. As soon as Black Sky came up...oh that's what it's all about and that's what that is going to be used for!

Season 1 - 9/10
    Season 2 - 6.5/10 (most of that was for the Punisher/Fisk/Foggy/Karen stuff)

I really hope Season 3 gets back to normal and dumps all the silly ninjas. Just so old fashioned. Might have looked cool in a comic back in the 1970's but not now.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2016
    GodShifter and Deesky like this.
  16. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

The bad part of Miller's legacy - 80s, though, not 70s.:)

17. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Ahh it's just I remember back when I was a kid reading a Daredevil comic which iirc was back in the late 70's (but yes you could well be right in it being very early 80's) and it had Electra and these strange guys who had their arms removed from the elbow down and replaced with long blades. All kind of martial arts/ninjary....

18. cartoonist

cartoonist Forum Resident

For those of us who don't have Netflix, has there been any talk about this show coming out on DVD/Blu-ray?

19. whaiyun

whaiyun Forum Resident

Punisher spinoff confirmed!

Encuentro likes this.
  20. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry? Thread Starter

Link?

21. Drew

Drew Senior Member

22. whaiyun

whaiyun Forum Resident

Yep, Marvel and Netflix Are Making a Punisher Series
    Gizmodo - 8h ago
    Fingers crossed that Punisher goes to other parts of New York in his own series, as that particular section of Manhattan is getting a bit crowded.
    http://goo.gl/hynRBk

23. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

I finished the show yesterday. Maybe not quite up to the level of season 1 but pretty damn close. I liked the Elektra/The Hand storyline and also the Punisher storyline, don't really know what the complaining is about...they announced before the first season of this show aired that it's all leading up to The Defenders so you should expect certain plot threads to be left for that. It was fun to see a couple of the characters from Jessica Jones show up.

As for the ninja thing, well, it wasn't my favorite aspect but it's a damn comic book adaptation, it goes with the territory. And if people have a hard time with "mystical/supernatural crap"...than they have no damn business watching a comic book adaptation to begin with.

24. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

The problem was the ninja stuff just wasn't that interesting and was fairly predictable. Would have preferred an extra episode given to the Fisk/Punisher part rather than Ninja time.

What do you want to watch? Fisk and Punisher or endless identical ninjas?

25. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Definitely Fisk & Punisher character driven stuff. Screw the mystical/supernatural crap.

daglesj likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.