SH Spotlight Herb Alpert & the Tijuana Brass Whipped Cream Video 1966: See the old Charlie Chaplin Studios

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Sep 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Bumping this great thread, because I can... :^)

In the first post I mentioned my great uncle who bought a piece of the Chaplin studio after Charlie left. My great uncle (also) came over from England but couldn't read or write, (which was amazing to me hearing this as a kid) but he managed to break in to show biz anyway. I don't remember him but I have pics of him with Al Jolson, etc. My mom told me he was a wonderful man. A lady I know on Facebook found these two snaps for me. Bless her.

By the way, history buffs, Talisman studios (mentioned in the below press clipping) was at 4516 Sunset and was originally the studio of D. W. Griffith, "Birth Of A Nation" was filmed there, later Monogram used it, and, I guess, THE THREE STOOGES unit filmed there as an offshoot of Columbia. And, for a little while, my great uncle had it. I believe there is a market there now.. :^(

Maurice Gebber.jpg Maurice Gebber two.jpg

2. It's the first I've seen of this thread. Just started reading it from the beginning - 2010. Great read so far, I'm going back to page one to read in its entirety. Thanks, Steve!

longdist01 and Smartin62 like this.
  3. Steve Hoffman

You're welcome!

4. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

I was unaware of this part of music (and film) history. So many different things can be learned on this site.

longdist01 likes this.
  5. tomvox

tomvox Forum Resident

Threads like this are why I love this board - educational & fun!

longdist01 likes this.
  6. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

That is a nice history piece of that studio. I had the fortune of visiting the A&M studios about a half dozen times between 1969/1970 when accompanying my dad on some Musician's Union local 47 business. It had a really cool vibe to the place. My dad knew Herb from his dealings in the music business and I got to meet him. A very nice person and a cool experience for an 18 year old kid to say the least.

longdist01 likes this.
  7. Steve Hoffman

Yes, it was nice in there, even 20 years later. Those days are sadly gone.

longdist01 likes this.
  8. resistanceisfutile

resistanceisfutile Happy with what I have to be happy with.

In 1974 I lived a block away, attending radio broadcasting school. One day the gate to (then) A&M was open, so I drove in and circled the inner courtyard. A guard chased me out.

longdist01 likes this.
  9. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

Happy Birthday, Charlie!

I just finished watching Tillies Punctures Romance and saw this thread.

Tonight, maybe the Mutual shorts and A Woman of Paris. He was great - and he was super great with Edna.

Criterion has really done a great job with his features; were so lucky he kept such good care of his films. Others from the era are not so lucky.

longdist01 likes this.
  10. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

heh, I lived one block west of the A&M studios on Detroit Street in the late 70s and walked or drove past it every day. Very cool place, constantly saw limos going in and out of the gate.

Top Taco was across the street. It was run by a guy named Jimmy who used to make the hugest burritos for really cheap, like $1. Hell, sometimes he'd just give me one knowing I was a starving musician. Jimmy said they always had guys from A&M run across the street for their tacos and he had met a lot of cats including Van Halen. Jimmy had a band was playing the LA circuit the same time we were. Van Halen's song "Top Jimmy" was about him.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2016
    longdist01, vonwegen, maclen and 2 others like this.
  11. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

With all that nitrate film, it is a good thing.
    With the California heat, that vault could go up in flames like 20th Century Fox's in 1937, and MGM's in 1967.
    When you're dealing with a material that has the same chemical makeup as gunpowder, it's best that it gets sent to a archive where it's properly stored.

Edna was a quite a hottie in her day

[​IMG]

I met Herb at a place called Yuca in South Beach, it was a listening party for his Passion Dance album
    He signed my Lonely Bull album and talked for a few minutes, very awesome guy.

longdist01 and vonwegen like this.
  12. BurgerKing

BurgerKing Forum Resident

In the days before cosmetic dentistry

13. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

She had better looking teeth than most of her peers.

[​IMG]

14. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Six more years behind it...it's still a great video!

longdist01 likes this.
  15. Bellagio Insider

Bellagio Insider Forum Resident

Here's some more info on the Fine Arts Studio you mention. It was where Hollywood Blvd intersects with Sunset Blvd in East Hollywood:

Fine Arts Studio ยป

16. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

Saw this on eBay - a 1921 shot of the Charlie Chaplin Studios.

[​IMG]

17. Steve Hoffman

The day it snowed. That's why the pic was taken..

longdist01 likes this.
  18. jimac51

jimac51 A mythical beast.

Suspect that climate change deniers filled the comment section in the online version of the newspaper---ah,that's right,one had to send a letter to the editor, and most were sent to the circular file next to the editor's desk. Good times. Miss 'em.

19. Steve Hoffman

opened

longdist01 likes this.
  20. Loup

Loup Ancient Wool Unraveller

Is this where George Harrison met future wife Olivia Arias?

21. HGN2001

22. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Thank you Steve for re-opening this Thread!

23. HGN2001

It's never too early for Christmas:

24. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Since this thread first started some years ago now, I have had the pleasure of meeting Herb, which was a thrill!

Steve Hoffman likes this.
  25. Steve Hoffman

Such a nice guy.

Chris C likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.