Monkees Record Store Day exclusives 2016

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JDistheone, Mar 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Collectors item for the wrong reasons.

2. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

?

3. yellowballoon

yellowballoon Senior Member

You're talking about one song here. The biggest fact is this is the go to collection for The Monkees on vinyl now. The awesome dynamic range and clean pressing still outshines the one defect, which Rhino is working to fix.

radickeyfan and vinylbeat like this.
  4. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

anyone know where I can get the shaped picture disc with 2 tracks without mortgaging the house?

5. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Yes! I take your word for it.
    But, I'd be pleased to get my replacement copy if it were me.

6. yellowballoon

I have no worries

7. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Everyone must be trying to get one cause I can't get the Bullmoose site to respond.. it's like it's crashed or frozen....

8. bmanley63

bmanley63 Forum Resident

I went to DISCOGS.COM on Sunday and got one from a place in Seattle. I tried going to three record stores and everyone was sold out. I did get the Monkees LP box set... from a record store literally seconds before it was about to be grabbed by someone else.

The special shaped 45 cost me $18 plus shipping. A bit pricey, but considering not bad

9. bmanley63

bmanley63 Forum Resident

I am now REALLY glad I held off on the Friday Records set. I have heard such mediocre reviews of their output. I went out yesterday to a few record stores and finally found the Monkees LP box. As I brought it to the counter to pay the cashier, a customer walked in and said... "Damn, that's why I came here." I got the last one.

BeatleStair and yellowballoon like this.
  10. yellowballoon

Good for you. Friday Records pressings and sources or dubious at best. You got the masters right from the source.

11. yellowballoon

I'm sure everyone trying to get those RSD releases besides going to eBay. Good luck

12. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

Bullmoose is now out of stock on the vinyl box.

That said... it's safe to say that Rhino will put these out on black vinyl, most likely individually, right? They wouldn't go through all this trouble just to press 3000 copies, would they?

John Bliss likes this.
  13. yellowballoon

I'm sure there will be individual releases later this Summer or Fall. There was 2 versions of the box, colored vinyl US, 180gm black vinyl UK.

14. SCSpinner

SCSpinner Forum Resident

My local store had several of those left over as of yesterday afternoon.

15. rswitzer

rswitzer Forum Resident

I listened to Pisces last night for what could easily be the 50th time in my life and it has never sounded better on vinyl.

yellowballoon and BeatleStair like this.
  16. Bob J

Bob J Forum Resident

This seems to happen with Bullmoose's website every year. I tried to order an item and it showed as available and was placed in my cart. Then the site went into snail mode and by the time I was able to begin checkout, the item was shown as "disabled for sale" and unavailable. Oh well....

17. bonjo

bonjo Forum Resident

I wonder what you guys are (not) smoking.

This is not some all-new mastering, it's the same thing as the CD box, which uses the latest masters from the deluxe editions. There's nothing new here, just pressed to vinyl.

Of course one of the things I love about vinyl is the artwork/covers. If they had done something closer to the Head reissue from a few years back (high quality, thick cover stock, tip-on jacket), I would have been all over this box. However, from what I could tell peering into the box, the covers are just the standard, thin-stock-nothing-special variety, and the colored vinyl gives it a novelty/gimmick feel, and on top of that there's a track missing from one of the albums!

I'm pretty sure if I had purchased it I'd be very disappointed right now.

18. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

My logo picture disc is numbered 18 !!
    Lowest number of anything I've ever got. (Yes I know it's meaningless)
    Too bad it's a piece.

Galley and D-rock like this.
  19. BeatleStair

BeatleStair Senior Member

Well you may want to hear some first. This set does use, I'm guessing, the same source as the latest Rhino CD masterings but it is not nearly as loud as the CDs. These masterings sound better (to me) on this vinyl as they keep all the nice bass and clean sound but through the vinyl mastering process it is not quite as in your face as the CD versions. Whatever the process, this new vinyl set sounds great to me, better then the CD version.

Now the CD versions aren't horrible by any means but they are a tad loud in spots. Overall the CD set is terrific too but after listening to some of these new vinyl pressings, I prefer the sound of this new vinyl set. I would love to know who did the vinyl transfers.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2016
  20. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

How do you know that?

21. bonjo

bonjo Forum Resident

Because it's common sense. They wouldn't remaster everything again for an RSD exclusive box and not mention something about that somewhere. Plus the missing track on Instant Replay is a dead giveaway that these were simply cut from digital.

Look I really wanted to like this box, but I don't know...it just doesn't seem all that great.

22. BeatleStair

That's fair enough. I'm guessing they probably were cut from digital but to me they sound great. Worth the purchase for me.

23. bonjo

bonjo Forum Resident

I have the first four albums on Japanese vinyl from that 1980s reissue series. They look great, but the sound quality...not so much. That's why I was looking forward to this box and came close to buying it.

Anyway, if they do release these individually I might buy a couple.

I had one question, do the jackets have bar codes on them?

24. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

I was gonna buy it just for Collectors sake .. but I'm not paying more than retail

25. BeatleStair

Off hand I say they don't but I'm at work at the moment. I'll check back later but I don't think they do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.