SH Spotlight A few angry (but sort of funny) notes people sent me about my mastering work, imagined defects.....

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Dec 2, 2013.

1. Time Is On My Side

Time Is On My Side Forum Resident

Hmm, I've never been upset with anything I have bought from DCC or Audio Fidelity. Quite the opposite actually. I thought their version of Hotel California is still better than any others out there, except maybe for the SACD which I haven't heard. For the record, Audio Fidelity's Alice Cooper - Billion Dollar Babies SACD is still my favorite listen. Vangelis - Blade Runner a close second.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2016
  2. Stan94

Stan94 Forum Resident

Had people returned their original White Album CDs because of the glitch on Helter Skelter, do you think EMI would have repressed the whole batch and replaced the flawed copies?

3. Randu

Randu Senior Member

Fun thread
    If I may flip to the B-Side for a moment...

I'm sure we all have versions of the story about our record/CD collections from back in the day that got lost in the shuffle of life.. moving, getting married, whatever.
    In mine was a cutout bin copy of Ned Doheny's 1st album. Unfortunately, when I tried finding a replacement in the 80s/90s, that proved an impossible task.
    So, while driving in LA one day, I noticed the Asylum office, hit the brakes and went in.
    Told the receptionist of my dilemma, she took down my info and a week later a sealed copy of my favorite Ned record showed up in the mail. Happy Day!

4. Not at Amazon, almost every title under the sun and no hassle prepaid return and replacement/refund instantly! :tiphat:

5. stingraex2000

stingraex2000 Forum Resident

That is too funny, I love it! People can be such idiots. My friend is retired and recently started working at a brick and mortar
    for the fun of it. But about 2 months in he's already got horror stories about customers. And you know its all true!

bluejeanbaby and LEONPROFF like this.
  6. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

"Different strokes for different folks". I have come to realize that some people just hear music and sound different from what I do. No matter how much I tell them they are wrong.

7. jackson123

jackson123 Forum Resident

Yeah, your mastering of the first two Dio albums are harsh and somewhat uneven. :hide:If it was the precious Beatles though they would be as smooth as butter I bet. No love for heavy metal from the older guys I guess.

8. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

At the risk of derailing this thread, the Byrds 'Chestnut Mare' single edit is dreadful.

9. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

I've seen this happen three times:
    1. A deleted part of a song in Brian Eno's album "Another Green World" - replaced by Astralwerks.
    2. Wrong booklet in the initial run of EH CD copies of Axis Bold As Love - MCA sent out new booklets on request.
    3. Errors in the Jethro Tull's 40th Anniversary "Thick As A Brick" DVD - replaced by EMI
    So, it is possible.....

10. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Time to stop doing blind buys, I would think.

11. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

I sure wish I knew what the hell you were talking about! :confused:

Malina, fitzrik, supermd and 3 others like this.
  12. wownflutter

wownflutter Nocturnal Member

Ummm. What he said....

13. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Oh, absolutely. I would never buy from a store I couldn't return it to, not at around $23 and up an album, and not when you can buy from Amazon and easily return it. And unfortunately, so many are defective. That said, I don't return things with minor issues, especially to brick and mortar retailers.

14. mikaal

mikaal Sociopathic Nice Guy

Me too. It's a case of "I'll have what they're having"....:shrug:

daveidmarx likes this.
  15. HarvG

HarvG Senior Member

Wonder if anyone ever returned Monty Python's "Matching Tie and Handkerchief" album for being defective?

vonwegen likes this.
  16. RKMiller

RKMiller Forum Resident

Yes, and the Pirahna Brothers nailed their head to a coffee table for doing so.

DrJ and OneStepBeyond like this.
  17. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Request for open and bump. Granted!

18. Finch Platte

Finch Platte Lettme Rundatt Bayou

What should I do with this Rush LP that has CCR on one side and Rush on the other?

Too late to return it?

19. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Good call on the Quo, I love Mystery Song.

The Won't Get Fooled Again 45 edit is a masterpiece compared to The Byrds Chestnut Mare one!

20. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Forgot I posted nearly the same thing in this thread in April! Dare I say it, I like the 45 edit of Won't Get Fooled Again. Nowhere near as much as the full version obviously, but I think the edit turns the epic album track into a classic Who single that sits well in the run of 60s - early 70s classic Who 45s.

21. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

I played this tonight and the complaint note fell out. The famous note! I had actually forgotten about it, I laughed, and took a pic with my iPhone. Just so you didn't think I was making it up. I'll photograph more as they appear!

Poor guy returned this to the store who returned it to the one-stop who returned it to the record company who returned it to my desk! Midrange vibration = String bass being bowed! Imagine being an audiophile, paying all that extra money for a Gold CD version and not being able to tell a buzz from a bow?

vince bitch note.jpg

jfeldt, fluffskul, Bob F and 11 others like this.
  22. Sammy Waslow

Sammy Waslow Just watching the show

Back in 1996, when I worked in HMV, two CDs were top of the list for returns for perceived flaws. The Fugees' The Score, as people misinterpreted the fake vinyl crackle on one or two tracks as being a fault with the disc. (It'd be like returning The Birds, the Bees and the Monkees because Magnolia Simms "skipped").
    The other was REM's New Adventures in Hi-Fi, which has a very minimalist disc design (effectively the title is printed around the centre hole, with no other text or artwork), so lots of people brought it back as they thought there was nothing on it at all, and thought it was defective.

23. Chooke

Chooke Forum Resident

As noted by an earlier member, it is just incredible that you received those complaints with DCC CDs yet outside forums such as this, it seems no-one raises a fuss about loud, brick-walled masterings.

I'd lose faith with listeners if you receive complaints with Elvis 24 Karats Gold...

24. Chooke

Chooke Forum Resident

Just an anecdote, I heard back in the 80s one retailer having to take back and refund a purchase of the Abbey Road B/T after they were withdrawn from the market.

The customer's complaint - it is an illegal copy.

Kkfan and Tuco like this.
  25. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

It also happened with the first disc of The Complete Motown Singles Vol. 5: 1965. For unknown reasons, the original disc contained an incorrect mix of "Shotgun" by Jr. Walker and the All Stars. The famous "shotgun" sound at the start was missing! Enough people conplained that Hip-O Select remastered the disc, using the correct single mix this time, and sent replacement discs to those who had already bought the set.

Grant likes this.