Monkees Record Store Day exclusives 2016

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JDistheone, Mar 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrbobdobalina

mrbobdobalina Forum Resident

I ordered three of the box sets for my store. One was for me (of course), and we sold one on Saturday, and the other one on Sunday. Seems like a pretty popular collection!

2. yellowballoon

yellowballoon Senior Member

Just got this email response from Dr Rhino

Thank you for your email.

I have been advised that we are producing a corrected/replacement Instant Replay LP.

I will follow up with more information, when the replacement LPs become available.

I apologize for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.

If you have any questions, please let me know.

Dr. Rhino

Robber Soul and fortherecord like this.
  3. Must be the standard response as I got the same one.

4. bluej

bluej Senior Member

Added my name to the Instant Replay replacement list, and also let Dr. Rhino know about the typo I pointed out a couple pages back (on the side two label). That said, I am absolutely loving this set; I have Music Box, but it's great to hear the albums in their original running order and with their original artwork/notes. This was originally one of those "I'll regret it later if I don't get it" buys, but as soon as I got it open and threw on the first album, I had a big grin on my face. Maybe my best Record Store Day purchase yet!

Simon

BeatleStair and D-rock like this.
  5. fortherecord

fortherecord Senior Member

The first album sounds thin and lacking in bass, and Saturday's Child seems to in in mono? The pressing of More of The Monkees maybe the best LP pressing of that album I've yet heard.

6. fortherecord

fortherecord Senior Member

The first album sounds thin and lacking in bass, and Saturday's Child seems to be in mono? The pressing of More of. The Monkees maybe the best LP pressing of that album I've yet heard. My Copy of Mokees Present has an off centre label which looks really bad!

7. JDistheone

JDistheone Forum Resident Thread Starter

My store only got 2 and there was a lady who was about 10 spots back of me who wanted and got the other one. I talked her up in line and was surprised that with her being just a casual fan, here she was in line overnight to get this set. The only other tunes she had was the music box CD set. I thought the price point would push people away, even though for 10 LPs, it is a great price. But people have just been raving about this set. RSD + 50th Anniversary must be bringing fans out of the woodwork.

8. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident

Where the list to sign up for the replacement?

9. No list, email Rhino Records. Contact info is on their website. You'll need to provide photos of your purchase receipt and the album with box set.

fortherecord likes this.
  10. Vinylsoul 1965

Vinylsoul 1965 Senior Member

So the only writing in the dead wax is "Mastered By Capitol"? Do we think this could be Ron McMaster possibly?

11. Rocketdog

Rocketdog Senior Member

For ten albums, it was an absolute bargain. Being that it sold for on average about $130, that's only $13 an album. Hell, I paid about $9 an album when Rhino first re-issued all of the band's records on vinyl back in '86/'87. Given 30 years of inflation, and these being on re-mastered, colored 180gram vinyl, no less, that's a pretty slim markup. I only wish I had the spare funds to have been able to buy a copy, myself, but I've got a new baby at home, so it was enough that I was able to buy those records I did pick up.

12. williamjoel

williamjoel Spins At 33 1/3 RPM

I also contacted Dr. Rhino and am awaiting a response.

This is a fantastic release for Monkees fans and collectors. Regardless of what issues some may have with this, I am very impressed.

The colored vinyl on my US issue is beautiful, the covers are vivid and have the little oddities that we have come to love over the years
    (beards cover on Headquarters, "Papa Jean's Blues," etc.) I listened to Instant Replay earlier and it sounded amazing!

For the price and for the attention to detail, I commend all involved.

This sits well on the shelf next to my copy of "The Monkees In Mono."

KUDOS!!!

:edthumbs:

13. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

So has anyone listened to the picture disc yet? Are the mixes the same as what's available on the The Monkees s/t box?

Smartin62 likes this.
  14. JDistheone

I believe these are the same mixes as found on Disc 1 of the Super Deluxe Edition of "The Monkees".

D-rock likes this.
  15. yellowballoon

John Hughes says they're not

D-rock likes this.
  16. JDistheone

The single says "Mono TV Mix" and the CD "Mono TV Version". It seems they are not appreciably different, but perhaps Craig or someone can break them down.

D-rock likes this.
  17. yellowballoon

All I know John Hughes was asked on Facebook Saturday and he said the mixes were not the same. He should know, he put them out. I guess the real question is, how many TV mixes were produced for any one song ?

D-rock likes this.
  18. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

I can still find the 45 for 30 bucks. I'm wondering if I really need it or not. Does the pressing sound good regardless of the recording? I don't trust fancy shaped picture discs. It boils down to me just wanting the mixes for my files (along with still needing to get the cereal picture discs released earlier this year).

D-rock likes this.
  19. readr

readr Forum Resident

Well, the Saturday's Child on the box has the alt vocal. It guessing this is another, original vocal mono mix, ripped from the film masters. Andrew previewed a ton of these on the CTTS pledge show. My guess is he plucked all the audio music tracks from the film reels, just to do side by side comparisons....and leave no audio stone unturned (I know I would). These TV Versions are the fruits of that research. I'm sure there are multiple mono TV tracks in his files for the same song (different episodes).

20. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Watch "Unboxing The Monkees Classic Album Collection - Record Store Day 2016" on YouTube

George C. likes this.
  21. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

George C. likes this.
  22. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

23. George C.

George C. Forum Resident

I had no idea that the logo disc had a unique mix. Just grabbed one for $15 from amazon.
    :righton:

D-rock likes this.
  24. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Never thought to look there. They have a few left but for 30+

25. j_rocker

j_rocker Forum Resident

He later corrected himself and said he was mixing up this one with the one included in the Bluray box set which are new. Clarified that these are the same from the super deluxe box.

JDistheone and George C. like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.