Henry Mancini On SACD for Pink Panther, Peter Gunn, and Hatari

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jojopuppyfish, Dec 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member Thread Starter

I finally was reading the Acousic Sounds catalog and it says there are 3 Mancini titles.
    Looks like its from Analogue Productions.
    Anyone know anything about it? Release date? Because I took a look at Acoustic Sounds website and it doesn't show the title yet

2. Retro Hound

Retro Hound Forum Resident

Don't know anything about this release, but those are all 3 excellent albums.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2014
    kevinsinnott likes this.
  3. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member Thread Starter

4. Reader

Reader Senior Member

I was looking for those also and couldn't find them. Also looking for the 2 Julie London SACDs from the same catalog. Couldn't find any of them so I guess they will be released but it'll be awhile.

5. Isaac Rivera

Isaac Rivera Active Member

Same here. AAPC 1956-45 - 2 45 rpm lps, but its nowhere on their site's upcoming releases or on qualitypressings.com. I was about to buy the Speaker's Corner edition when I saw this a week ago and now I don't know what to do.

6. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

I hope they get rid of the excessive reverb that was on the stereo version of Peter Gunn.

7. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Not likely. As Steve said a long time ago, engineers frequently added reverb to mono recordings when they created a stereo mix. I listen to the mono vinyl these days

rmos likes this.
  8. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

Will these be released on SACD or just vinyl?

9. sixtiesstereo

sixtiesstereo Senior Member

Not me. The slight reverb adds to the "cool jazz" feel, which is what this album is. The vibes sound
    terrific using this (in stereo). Remember, on the TV show they performed a lot of the music
    at "Mothers", a jazz club, that would have had this type of ambiance.

alchemy likes this.
  10. ShockControl

Yes, the mono version is drier, so I guess they added the reverb on the fly to the stereo version. The excessive reverb had the effect of blurring the harmonies, especially on the faster tunes. Also, the balance on the stereo album is off. John Williams's piano fills in "Dreamsville" are louder than the trombones and French horns, which are playing the melody. The piano placement is where it should be in the mono version.

11. ShockControl

The vibes are far less prominent on the stereo version. And no jazz club has that type of ambience; it sounds like an empty concert hall at 3 in the afternoon. The sound is muddy and blurred on the stereo album. Mono is the way to go here, if you're looking for clarity.

rmos likes this.
  12. back2vinyl

back2vinyl Forum Resident

Well, whadya know - no fewer than 15 Mancini albums have popped up on Acoustic Sounds but not as SACDs - instead, they're offered as 24/96 downloads. They seem to be on Qobuz, too. In fact Peter Gunn isn't offered by Acoustic Sounds but is offered by Qobuz. There are probably other variations.

No mastering or provenance notes are offered that I can see. I would have wished for some well-mastered SACDs - presumably they'll come eventually - but in the meantime I'm gonna have to try one or two of these.

Edit - apologies - Pink Panther and Peter Gunn are also up as a pre-order, SACD and 45rpm LP. Mastered by Ryan Smith at Sterling Sound from the original masters. But I saw that on Elusive Disc's site.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2015
    Lucidae and scobb like this.
  13. I am very interested in the SACDs, hopefully they sound good.

14. kevinsinnott

kevinsinnott Forum Coffeeologist

Mancini's stuff was well engineered and the stereo mixes I've heard sound natural to me. Of course that does not mean it IS natural, just that it sounds like I would expect it to sound. I haven't heard the mono, but I can imagine they were drier. At least they are true stereo, not electronically reprocessed.

15. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

These SACDs are shipping from Acoustic Sounds. My order shipped yesterday.

16. tubesandvinyl

tubesandvinyl Forum Resident

Hatari, on vinyl, sounds incredible

Beats the original lp

17. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I am really enjoying the Peter Gunn and The Pink Panther SACDs. Great music, of course, but the sound on these discs is excellent. I haven't listened to Hatari! yet, but that is a soundtrack I am not as familiar with.

18. SergioRZ

SergioRZ Well-Known Member

The 45rpm cuts are simply AMAZING :) The sax on Pink Panther is about the "scariest" 3D holographic sound I've heard... Thank you Analogue Productions

19. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Just listened to cd layer of Peter Gunn. Not bad but not great. I will listen to the sacd layer later but I'm a bit disappointed if the cd layer is any indication.

20. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Agreed.... I'm happy with the Mancini Box Set.

LeeS likes this.
  21. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Claus, this caught me off guard. I usually like Ryan's work but I do hear a certain thinness on the Sterling Sound SACDs. It's on the Tea for Tillerman SACD and LP too. I wish Hoffman and Marsh had gotten this one.

George P likes this.
  22. Coaltrain

Coaltrain Forum Resident

Earlier this year, Vocalion/Dutton in the U.K. released two Mancini SACD two-fers. One features trumpeter Doc Severinson on Brass, Ivory and Strings and Brass on Ivory. The other highlights Mancini's piano on Six Hours Past Sunset and A Warm Shade of Ivory. The music is strictly lounge, not anywhere near as inventive as Peter Gunn, but the sound quality is pretty good. If you're in the mood for this sort of thing after a heard day's work, it can be pretty relaxing (if not somnolent). I ordered them direct from Vocalion/Dutton's website.

23. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Ryan Smith is a talented mastering engineer, but it's true many George Marino and Ryan Smith masterings have slightly a "cleaner" sound compared to the mastering of Steve Hoffman or Kevin Gray.

LeeS likes this.
  24. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Those Vocalion/Dutton SACDs include the original Quad mixes for those so inclined.:cool:

25. Uh...the SACD (and LP) for Tea for the Tillerman were mastered by George Marino, not Ryan Smith. Smith did work on a separate double-DSD remaster of that album for download, and the results are anything but "thin."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.