Record stores in Ansterdam, Munich, Zurich

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by Jgirar01, Apr 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jgirar01

Jgirar01 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Going on s little trip next week and I have heard that Amsterdam has some awesome record stores. Figure if I have to spend a day with tulips we can fit in a few record stores. Looking for any guidance for stores in AmsterdamI, Munich, or Zurich. I am mainly interested in 60s and 70s rock on vinyl. Any recommendations would be great.

2. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

For Amsterdam, Concerto (located at Utrechtsedwarsstraat) and Record Friend are essential.

Jgirar01 likes this.
  3. bibijeebies

bibijeebies vinyl hairline spotter

Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
    Jgirar01 likes this.
  4. Johnny Ryall

Johnny Ryall Forum Resident

For Amsterdam I'd add Waxwell, Velvet Music and Second Life.

In Munich I'd recommend Optimal and SchallplattenZentrale.

5. rtalwani

rtalwani Forum Resident

Thanks for the tip. I'm going to Munich soon and I'll be sure to check them out. Any other suggestions for German record stores?

6. Johnny Ryall

Johnny Ryall Forum Resident

Which cities/areas are you going to visit?

7. Mlle. Aurora

Mlle. Aurora Señor Member

Don't forget Der Schallplattenladen and Mono, both in Munich. Near the East Station (Ostbahnhof ).

8. nancybrooke

nancybrooke Not quite Senior Member

Bumping this thread for a short Amsterdam record store report:

Record Friend is amazing. Seems like I spent most of my record budget on the first day! They have two stores, one with used vinyl (make sure to go through the budget lp section, which is in the front part, into the main store) and one with new. All genres.

So, $200 lighter - I thought pricing was fair, and the dollar is pretty strong at the moment - we headed to the record fair at the RAI. I don't know how many stalls were there - 150, 200? - but it was bigger than any show I'd ever been to. I was surprised at how many dealers had large selections of cds. The Dutch seem to love classic rock :)

Concerto Records is huge, it take up 5 storefronts and includes a cafe (my favorite kind of record store). New vinyl, used vinyl, all genres, great jazz cd section and a whole floor of used cds. People still buy cds here! Definitely worth a stop, or a half day of shopping.

Waxwell
    has all the cool rock, jazz, funk, blues and soul records that you can't find at home anymore. I talked to the owner for a bit and found out he goes on buying trips to the US frequently (Ohio is a favorite place lately). My budget was totally tapped out by this point! Great neighborhood as well, in whats called "the Nine Streets."

Also went to Backbeat Records in the Jordaan, loved this place, kind of old school, lots of jazz, soul and R&B and (again!) a good cd selection.

Hoping that future travelers to Amsterdam will find this somewhat helpful!

Jgirar01 likes this.
  9. cellery

cellery Well-Known Member

Gonna put in a word for City Records in Amsterdam. Good overall selection with some stuff you don't see much elsewhere, like extensive soundtrack and Bollywood sections, and the owner's a really nice dude. And yeah, Waxwell is great for stuff like funk, soul, R&B and jazz on original USA pressings, which is something you won't find in a lot of other Dutch stores.

Jgirar01 likes this.
  10. nancybrooke

nancybrooke Not quite Senior Member

Thanks, good to know. We walked past City Records on two different occasions and it was shut (closed Monday and Tuesday, doesn't open until noon). It was definitely on the list of stores we wanted to visit - will have to hit it up next time :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.