Monkees Record Store Day exclusives 2016

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JDistheone, Mar 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George C.

George C. Forum Resident

Darn!

2. rswitzer

rswitzer Forum Resident

So far from the box I've listened to Pisces which was excellent, s/t which, for whatever reason, did not sound as impressive . . . and a couple of skips didn't help. (Hopefully, a good cleaning will fix that issue.) I'm currently listening to More of and this is also quite enjoyable. Very wide stereo but my brain has been wired from a young age to think that's "proper" for this album. I've also listened to the bonus lp and enjoyed it for what it is, kind of a grab bag, but I didn't get the same "wow" factor Pisces & More of gave me. There's something about your first vinyl love(s) that is special and these records really are for me.

ps. the bass on Steppin' Stone is making a bunch of pictures on the wall really vibrate!

3. fortherecord

fortherecord Senior Member

I emailed them but didn't get a response. Who said you had to send a photo of your records? I've already lost my receipt.

4. Dr Rhino said. They want to make sure you have what your trying to get a free replacement of. Read my other post in this thread regarding the Eagles box set nonsense.

fortherecord likes this.
  5. dasacco

dasacco Senior Member

I was just able to get the LP box set and the shaped picture single at the Newbury Comics at Harvard Square in Cambridge. I only saw one of each, but folks may want to check other locations...

Let me add that I went there on Monday and they had neither so they trickled in during the week.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2016
    JDistheone likes this.
  6. dasacco

dasacco Senior Member

Saturday's Child, Tomorrow's Gonna Be Another Day, Papa Gene's Blues and Take A Giant Step are all mono. Same as they are on the 1987 Rhino LP issue. Hmmmmm

7. fortherecord

Yes, I noticed and thought the same thing....

8. semidetached

semidetached Monkees Mixographist

I haven't listened through fully yet, but I've made digital transfers so that I could get it onto monkeesmixography. Any help is appreciated if you guys notice any more of the 1986 masters being used (or any other alternates).

From a quick check, the debut does in fact seem to mirror the contents of the 1986 Rhino LP master: THE MONKEES · US LP / Rhino 70140 / June 1986 - monkeesmixography »

Pisces does not include the mono tracks from the 1986 Rhino LP issue - so it may be the correct original master (will check into this further).

Birds Bees features Magnolia Simms in mono, but there isn't a gap between I'll Be Back/The Poster as there was on the Rhino LP.

On a quick listen, Don't Wait For Me seems to be the restored version.

Listen To The Band seems to be the mono version and not the fake stereo.

Kind of a weird grab bag, this.

9. fortherecord

I still have not received a response to my email to Rhino, sent Monday, regarding Instant Replay.

10. readr

readr Forum Resident

Good. I didn't get this set. Looks like I already own it.....from Rhino in 1986. My LP's are still near mint, anyway. Is there a definitive 180 gram version of their albums. I own the clear 180g Head from Rhino a few years back. I know Friday put out a bunch on them a few years back. Are these new versions any better? I have the new original albums CD box, those masters all seem to be from the Deluxe versions CD masters (except Changes, which was newly remastered). I'm surprised they didn't use those for this LP box.

fortherecord likes this.
  11. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

Honestly, this set isn't really anything but a collection of pretty colored vinyl in a box. If you're looking to get the best LP versions, these aren't them.

But a white vinyl Headquarters sure looks cool on the turntable.

12. bonjo

bonjo Forum Resident

As if there is such a thing as a "best LP version" of the Monkees.

Every time I've taken a chance on an old Colgems pressing, they have sounded like absolute crud. I have the Arista Japan albums from 1980, and they sound ok but a little thin, and the channels are reversed which always drives me crazy. Still at least they are the original stereo mixes throughout.

Anyway, I'm actually more curious about this new box set now. I assumed it was just a straight-up transfer of the recent "50 years" CD box, but now we know they used the 1986 Rhino for the debut...it's weird. Was it cheaper this way?

13. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

I made an impulse buy and bought it. Haven't got it yet but already thinking of selling it. I paid like 146 for the box and 34 for the 45 ...

14. rswitzer

rswitzer Forum Resident

I've listened to s/t, More of, & Pisces and the latter two sounded excellent.

15. vinylbeat

vinylbeat Forum Resident

Man this thread has gone from cheers to jeers pretty quick. How can people criticize or dismiss the sound of this new box set if they haven't actually listened to it? Seriously.....would cracking open a sealed mono or stereo original Colgems pressing sound any better? My original Colgems LP's are in excellent condition and they really don't sound fantastic either. They all seem to have been mastered using some degree of the typical 60's EQ "pinching" that most Pop records fell victim to during that era. So I'm really hoping that these new pressings will sound more dynamic, like what the mono Monkees vinyl box set sounds like, only with the stereo mixes.......or at least most of them.

16. dasacco

dasacco Senior Member

I have very nice condition Colgems pressings (mono and stereo), Arista Japan, 80's Rhino, Sundazed, Friday Music, and these. Yes, I have issues... :)

I have only spot checked so far and done very quick comparisons. As I said before, the debut LP has similar mixes to the 1986 Rhino LP, but sounds very different to it. If they used the same master tape, it was clearly re-eq'd for this issue. Listening to "Clarksville" I hear the midrange pushed a little. Maybe even (gasp!) a little more compressed?!?! Still, turned up, I quite enjoyed it.

In fact, as I spot check through all the LP's (very quiet pressings, and flat, and centered) they seem to all sound better at fuller volumes, which is not something I can say about ANY other pressing of these LP's that I have.

Colgems originals, as someone stated before, are real hit and miss. Obviously, the most authentic, and the vocals on those always seem the most life-like to me. It's just a matter of putting up with the often found sibilance or distortion or just plain noise.

More to come...

17. readr

readr Forum Resident

Yeah, dig. I'll sit this one out.

So, what I've read, there isn't a definitive vinyl release, yet. Sundazed? Friday Music? So, what are the definitive CD versions? The 90's Rhinos are slightly compressed, the deluxe versions are more dynamic and now all available on the new CD box set. Why didn't they use those masters for the vinyl box? Even though the Rhino 90's CD's are not as authentic to their album counterparts as the deluxe versions, I think they sound the best. The Arista's sound pretty good too, in an 80's remastered, quiet, way. You just got to turn 'em up a little bit more.

I got the logo RSD 45....that's fun to look at....pretty cool. I don't regret getting that. I am hoping for one more unique 45 release, hopefully with something from the MOTM era. Reason: I need 1 more 45 so I can have a 45 in every deluxe box set. I put my cereal box records in the Monkees SD box, and I'll put the Blue-Ray set 45 in my, hopefully, PAC&J box. I'll put the Daydream Believer/Sally single in Headquarters SD box. I just need one for the, hopefully, MOTM SD box. Maybe they'll just include one......nahh.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2016
  18. fortherecord

I wish Friday's Music had done this box set. The reissues they put out of the later Monkees albums, also coloured vinyl, with gatefold covers, and they sound and are much better pressed than these Rhino ones.

19. fortherecord

The Colgems albums were pressed by RCA and the "I" or "H" Indianapolis or Hollywood pressings are much better pressed and quieter than the East Coast "R" Rockaway, NJ pressings.This was generally true for most RCA LPs in the 60s. The letters for each factory are stamped in the runout groove area on the record.

George C. likes this.
  20. yellowballoon

yellowballoon Senior Member

Ok this is a little mis represented.
    A) the Arista pressings are mostly the remixed work Bill Inglot did because the master mix downs were not found . The previous Japan and Aristas were needle drops.
    B) the deluxe masters were used for the new box, but The Monkees self title is matching the 1986 Rhino pressing. Probably pulled by accident. Still no official word as to why.
    Don't go from reporting 1 title to say the whole box is matching the 80's Rhino pressings when in fact they do not. The rest of the albums sound fantastic. Most of you don't even have the box and coming from that point of view, raining on the parade of those who do have it, because you don't . Stop the mis information. Only the first album matches the previous Rhino pressing end of story.

21. yellowballoon

Ok yeah right because they didn't just take the CDs rip them and press from that. Friday Music in no way used analog master mix down tapes.

22. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

A little off topic, but the Japan Arista Headquarters would be a needledrop then? I have one and honestly I thought I had the remixed Arista. I didn't a/b it to be certain.

23. dasacco

dasacco Senior Member

A. Agreed - but I never heard the US Arista vinyl issues. The Japan ones sure sound like needle drops to me.
    B. Yeah, I think it was a mistake.
    Agreed, MOST of what I'm hearing is quite good.

24. dasacco

dasacco Senior Member

This I'm not sure is always the case. The Friday Music Greatest Hits, Present and Changes sound VERY similar to my original Colgems pressings, but cleaner, and (in the case of Present and Changes) better than the 80's Rhino LP's (IMHO). I didn't feel the same way about the Friday Music Instant Replay however.

In the case of Present and Changes I still think these new Rhinos may be best of all, however, again IMHO. I haven't done full comparisons with Instant Replay yet, but initially it sounds quite good.

fortherecord and yellowballoon like this.
  25. yellowballoon

The pre 86 Japan releases were needle drops

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.