Prince, R. I. P.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mr._mojo_filter, Apr 21, 2016.

1. bluejeanbaby

bluejeanbaby Forum Resident

There's a bio Prince himself was doing, called Beautiful Ones I think it is....scheduled to come out next year. I wonder what the status of it is now..:confused:

Why surprised? Because no one talks a lot about someone doesn't mean they are not liked by many...Prince was a transcendent musician and singer, and one can say still contemporary. His passing is totally off the wall. The whole world seems to be united in grief and shrouded in purple these days. :shake::shake::shake:

Let us all celebrate his music...someone said here people just look for an excuse to party. I don't think so. The gatherings are genuine!

Grant, enro99 and JohnnyQuest like this.
  2. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

I mentioned earlier I started collecting vinyl again at Christmas and Prince is someone I wanted to get more of (as the cds are particularly quiet). I got Dirty Mind last week for £6 but was sure the vultures would now hik prices like when Bowie died. However, just ventured in to town and picked up Sign o the Times vinyl for £15 (NM) and Lovesexy for £3! (VG). Am currently listening to Sign O the Times and for the first time appreciating is a record of 4 sides rather than shuffling the cd over sonos. Now if I could only find a decent copy of Parade I'd be very happy indeed.

bru87tr likes this.
  3. Spirit Crusher

Spirit Crusher Forum Resident

I regret selling it a few years ago. Needed money, got some for it. Plus that 4th disc, the acoustic set, is essential. @***##**mmit. :mad::realmad:

4. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

I read he finished 50 pages so guessing that won't be seeing the light of day

bluejeanbaby likes this.
  5. seventeen

seventeen Forum Resident

Interesting. I wonder why all his later release are maxed out, unlistenable stuff with zero dynamics. They are worse than Raw Power CD remix. The Hitnrun CDs, last he officialy published, are like FULLINYOURFACEWITHTHEDETAILSOFA64KBPSSTREAMINMP3!

About him making more money with Emancipation, like all indies, they were/are all way richer than any major label recording artists because they make like 8 bucks a record instead of 1.

So if you sell 70 000 copies you make half a million. You need to move 500 000 + copies to make the same amount on a major label.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2016
    C6H12O6 likes this.
  6. amoergosum

amoergosum Forum Resident

Incredible!!!
    >>>

Cloudbuster and Lucas.. like this.

7. Here's that video- SCINTILLATING!

Prince Honky Tonk Woman YouTube »

keyXVII, zebop, bluejeanbaby and 2 others like this.
  8. sunspot42, PH416156, TonyCzar and 3 others like this.
  9. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

10. Orthogonian Blues

Orthogonian Blues A man with a fork in a world full of soup.

Speaking of Rosebud...

I reckon the inevitable Prince biopic* has the potential to be an epic of Citizen Kane proportions! His empire and legacy is probably as astonishing as that of William Randolph Hearst!

I've just seen Don Cheadle's Miles Davis biopic, and it got me thinking about what a Prince film would look like - any ideas here?

As artists, Prince and Miles were cut from the same cloth in many ways. Both men had an iron determination to keep their music careers facing forward and to take charge of their artistic direction. And we know from the fact that they worked with eachother, and various quotes from both sides, that they had the utmost reverence for eachother as musicians. As people? Well, they had in common a contrarian streak that was a mile wide! If there is an afterlife, I bet they are probably looking at eachother warily in the eye right now!

I digress. Like 'Miles Ahead', or even 'Citizen Kane', I reckon that a Prince film based on a flashback/flash forward structure would work really well. Perhaps the narrative could be hung around the 90s and early 2000s, especially his 'slave' battle with WB and the commercial wilderness that followed for the decade hence.

There could be flash backs to the 70's and 80's, with scenes focussing on his long struggle for artistic control. For example, you could have scenes where the teenaged Prince insists on producing his own records, his hard artistic 'left turn' from Purple Rain to Around The World In A Day, his breakup with the Revolution and the rejection of the ‘Crystal Ball’ album, his attempts to remain relevant during the Hip Hop years. The hook, if you like, could be about how he gained freedom and lost much of his audience. As for his personal life, the film would have to feature the demise of some of his closest personal relationships, like with his bandmates, his father, his girlfriends, his wives. A real gut wrenching moment would be the loss of his son.

But of course, we wouldn’t want to end the story on a sour note, with Prince fading away in his fortress like Hearst. Even though the man is gone, his music is going to keep on giving us joy for a long time to come, right? For me, a very nice touch at the end of Miles Ahead was Don Cheadle’s imagining of a present day Miles concert – the message being that the music (‘social music’, as Miles insisted that it be called) is alive and relevant today. My imaginary Prince biopic could conclude with the way he gained acceptance as a bona-fide legend in his last decade, including the RRHOF induction, Super Bowl Halftime Show and other live triumphs. And it would reference how Prince’s battles for ‘Emancipation’ blazed a trail for other parts of the music industry to break away from the major label model.

So, those are my very quick ideas for ‘Prince – The Movie’. Anyone got any others? Who would play Prince, and what could the film be called?

*Yes I know, Purple Rain was a biopic of sorts! But that was just the start of his story - there's so much more to be told...

11. videoman

videoman Senior Member

The Kid.

Stone Turntable likes this.
  12. seventeen

seventeen Forum Resident

Actually I'm sure you can edit a biopic film of Prince using all the unseen footage stored in his basement.

It is said there was as much unseen film footage as there was unheard recorded songs.

sunspot42 likes this.
  13. amoergosum

14. Groovy

Groovy Forum Resident

The Parade tour is one thing that I am hoping will now be released in full. I used to have a VHS tape of a TV broadcast of it. It's the tour that, for me, really stands out as the best in every way.

It's so great that we can finally see all these videos (temporarily ?) after all this time.

15. "Unfortunate category of Toto". Ha I love that. I hate Toto.

TonyCzar likes this.
  16. There is no reason any label should own the masters of an artist forever. An appropriate time period to license the work is more appropriate

Chris DeVoe and guidedbyvoices like this.
  17. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident

Prince lived a very private life. What would they cover in a biopic? His 18 year dispute with Warner Bros? His relationship with Vanity,Kim,Mayte,etc.? The loss of his only child? :cry:

18. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

And on this forum's classified too.

19. videoman

videoman Senior Member

It'd be a whole different kind of film, but personally I'd settle for a just visual recap of his love affairs with well-cast look-alike hotties....

Vinyl_Blues and zebop like this.
  20. masswriter

masswriter Minister At Large

whats the Prince gif from?

21. DJ LX

DJ LX Forum Resident

Another interesting angle for a biopic film would be Prince's battle between the profane and the sacred. That is, Prince's ongoing effort to balance spiritual concerns with more worldly ones.

Vinyl_Blues and bluejeanbaby like this.
  22. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

Absolutely. This is basically the Gold Experience to the present, it's frustrating as hell.

There's an interview from the late '90s (maybe early '00s) where Prince said he made more money on one of his recent self-distributed releases than Purple Rain! I was skeptical, but he was upfront and said the exact same thing - the sales figures were much lower, but the cut was so much better, it more than made up for the difference.

23. amoergosum

>>>

" "Goodnight, sweet Prince..."
    Filmed by SNL alum Tim Kazurinsky (@timkazurinsky) standing on his tiptoes. At the SNL40 After Party at the Plaza Hotel in NYC, Jimmy Fallon coaxed music icon Prince onstage to give what would be a legendary impromptu performance. Here it is in its entirety.

Also featuring Emma Stone on tambourine, Martin Short, Bill Murray, Jim Carrey, Maya Rudolph and many more."

24. Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous Doubleplus Ungood

vince likes this.
  25. tdgrnwld

tdgrnwld Forum Resident

In other words, "It's great because I like it."