Monkees Record Store Day exclusives 2016

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JDistheone, Mar 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kouzie

kouzie Forum Resident

Anybody know of a indie store that still has one available?

2. dasacco

dasacco Senior Member

I'll chime in again hopefully later this week when I have more time to do comparisons, but I must say I'm loving the debate here. Strong opinions everywhere about 50 year old Monkees recordings.

I remember well the "dark ages" of Monkees collecting from about 1973 - 1985 when there was nothing in print except the Monkeemania Arista compilation from Australia, and informative as it is, it was mostly (all?) needle drops from not-so-great copies of the records. And the Arista Japanese pressings which were better, but still needle drops.

So much better these days!!!

Grand_Ennui, JakeM and Smartin62 like this.
  3. MagneticNorthpaw

MagneticNorthpaw Senior Member

It has to be said that the vinyl box set is the nadir of quality control from a Rhino/Warner perspective. (I'm lumping them both in, as I'm unsure who is ultimately to blame.) First, there is the totally perplexing omission of "The Girl I Left Behind Me" from Instant Replay, a run-wide issue that they are correcting with a re-pressing. More annoying is the fact that different copies of the box set have been packed with duplicates of one title at the expense of another being omitted. In my case, I got two copies of MOTM and no bonus disc. I've heard of at least two dozen other mix-ups on the net or on FB.

A friend who is not a big Monkees fan purchased mine out of state because I had to work on RSD, so she had no reason to believe that there would be content mix-ups. Even if she had noticed before she shipped it to me, it was the only copy the store had. Now seeing that the album title spines are open to view, it's incredible to me that this wasn't caught in QC.

I'm fairly confident that Rhino will get the issues corrected and make it right for purchasers, but, in the case of the Instant Replay re-pressing, it could be months with the pressing plants' schedules backed up as they are. The presentation/feel/sound overall is great, but the hassle with getting replacement copies for the full set is a big fly in the ointment after dropping nearly $150.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  4. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident

I hear you, been there and done that! Its so frustrating!

5. GreenGringo

GreenGringo Well-Known Member

Stop complaining! Everything is fantastic all the time, especially if it's Monkees.

6. yellowballoon

yellowballoon Senior Member

So John Hughes on the Zilch group on Facebook says the 1986 Bill Inglot mix of The Monkees included in the new box was intentional. It's not a mistake. Also Instant Replay is being repressed now.

George C. and dasacco like this.
  7. kouzie

kouzie Forum Resident

Found a copy of the vinyl box today at Laurie's Planet of Sound in Chicago. They have one left if anyone is still looking for one.

8. dasacco

dasacco Senior Member

I got similar info when I asked Dr. Rhino:

Thank you for your email, Dave.
    I have been advised that we are producing a corrected/replacement Instant Replay LP.
    I will follow up with more information, when the replacement LPs become available.
    The mono tracks on side 1 of The Monkees are not a mastering error.
    I apologize for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.
    If you have any questions, please let me know.

Dr. Rhino

9. Waynefi

Waynefi Confused over the confusion ?

Same exact message that I received .

10. dasacco

dasacco Senior Member

I just finished listening to Headquarters from this set and thoroughly enjoyed it. It was a little noisy in between tracks, but nothing I can't live with.

This is a bright sounding album, but this pressing comes closest to my original Colgems pressing in tonality. The '87 Rhino was WAY brighter, and the early 80's Arista Japan issue is kind of dull.

Here's the thing though. This new one has the bass centered in the mix much more. Using "For Pete's Sake" and "Randy Scouse Git" as examples (although it seems to be on all the tracks), I could hear the bass in both channels whereas on the Colgems and Rhino LP's it was almost completely to the right.

Same with the '87 Rhino and all the CD's I checked and I think the early 80's Arista Japan LP appears to be similar as well, but maybe the bass was tweaked or simply a lack of high end disguising it. The comparisons with that one are a little harder to do because the channels are also reversed.

Someone check this out and let me know if I'm crazy or hearing things, but it sounds like the low bass was filtered and mixed to the center to give a "fuller" sound. Subsequently it appears to have less channel separation, and perhaps the whole thing has been compressed a bit.

Here is a link to a file with short samples of "For Pete's Sake."

MonkeeSamples.wav »

1. Japanese Arista LP (I reversed the channels to make them match), 2. 2016 Rhino, 3. 1967 Colgems, 4. 1987 Rhino

Thoughts?

BTW I also have the 1996 Sundazed on red vinyl, I just forgot to put it in the samples. It's not mixed like the new one.

George C. and cwitt1980 like this.
  11. Mr. Webster the Poster

Mr. Webster the Poster Well-Known Member

So, has anyone compared the 2011 180g Rhino Head to the new box set vinyl one? I'm assuming the former is the go to copy?

12. yellowballoon

I remember Sandoval speaking about the master used for the Head deluxe and vinyl was the correct master as all other masters used had a balance issue that was not correct when compared to the actual master, even on the Colgems pressing. I had no idea if this is the samething you're describing.

13. yellowballoon

It's the same tape but obviously it would be cheaper to purchase the 180gm other then the box if that is the album your after.

14. yellowballoon

M
    I'm of the conclusion the 1986 pressing is a nod to the generation of fans that came that year.

15. Mr. Webster the Poster

I'm just after the best sounding version. I have the other albums on vinyl as well. (Not the box) I was just asking about Head as that was the only Monkees album released on vinyl individually by Rhino recently.

16. dasacco

dasacco Senior Member

Only a quick rudimentary comparison so far and I didn't detect any major differences, but I'll do that one next..

17. dasacco

dasacco Senior Member

That could be it, then, but I didn't read what he said. This new one is definitely balanced differently (more narrow) than any other version I've heard, and I've heard a lot.

One thing I haven't heard is this new box on CD. If Headquarters in the new CD set has the regular "wider" mix, then something clearly was done differently for this vinyl set.

18. yellowballoon

K
    more quality was put into the 180gm LP. It's the same tape, I don't notice a difference just a little quieter on the 180gm. Better quality vinyl.

John Bliss and JDistheone like this.
  19. George C.

George C. Forum Resident

Finally received my logo 45. Although the mixes may be previously released, the logo 45 does look cool seeing it in person and really cool on my turntable, so I think I'll hang on to it.
    :cheers:

20. Mr. Webster the Poster

Thanks!

21. GreenGringo

GreenGringo Well-Known Member

...which makes absolutely no sense because it has a narrower stereo spread and more hiss than any previous version, as well as one of the songs being the wrong mix. This is why I have learned to take the things that reissue producers say with a grain of salt.

22. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident

Anyone here know of any US record stores that might have The Monkees - 2016 RSD 10LP Box set available, extra one?

23. kouzie

kouzie Forum Resident

Laurie's Planet of Sound in Chicago has one. I just bought one yesterday leaving one left.

24. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

I saw one at Rasputin in Berkeley last week and across the street at Amoeba as well.

25. Mr. Webster the Poster

No offense but Sandoval knows more than we do about whether there was a balance issue. It being a narrower stereo spread doesn't mean a balance issue did not exist.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.