How do you listen to movies with a mono track? Through monitors or center speaker only?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Hutch, May 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hutch

Hutch Forum Resident Thread Starter

Which option do you use to listen to movies with mono tracks? Through your monitors or do you/can you set it up so the audio only comes through a center channel?

2. sebastian1851

sebastian1851 New Member

I don't encounter it very often, so I usually just do through my monitors.

3. Monitor or through one speaker.

4. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

thru my stereo...with 2 speakers.

sgtmono likes this.
  5. Hutch

I don't have a powerful enough center speaker to try it that way, but I will be upgrading soon so I might try it out.

6. Digital-G

Digital-G Senior Member

I listened to most movies through my sound system with surround. With mono soundtracks however, I usually turn the stereo off and listen through the TV speakers. Yeah, I know, it sounds weird. But my stereo will either spread the sound out across all speakers, which sounds really strange, or just through the center speaker, which sounds weak. If I listen through the tv (the speakers are on the sides of the monitor) the sound is anchored to the TV and it sounds a bit fuller than through the center channel.

:shrug:

Matt Richardson likes this.
  7. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

Center speaker. I try to replicate the original speaker setup as much as possible.

8. Hutch

Your receiver should have settings to stop this from happening and allow you to control which/how many speakers you want any sound mode to play through. Or are you using a stereo amp?

9. Digital-G

Digital-G Senior Member

I think it's a setting called Mono Surround, iirc - something like that on my Denon receiver. And I didn't mean to imply it was happening and I couldn't control it. I mean there are a couple of surround modes that I can choose, but they are kind of extreme (one speaker or all of them).

And it's possible I can get mono through my main front speakers too, but while their placement sounds great for stereo music, it's still a bit wide for making mono soundtracks sound their best.

10. captainsolo

captainsolo Forum Resident

Properly set speakers create the proper dual mono effect for 2.0 encodings. It is only more recently in DVD and BD that studios began using authentic 1.0 that should be coming right out of your center channel.
    If you have no mono mode that doesn't affect the sound in some way, using prologic or plII will properly send the mono signal to the center from 2.0.

11. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Center speaker so it sounds most like the voices are coming from where the mouths are. My speakers are set pretty wide due to my room dimensions, so using stereo for something like this sounds odd.

Last edited: May 4, 2016
    RK2249 likes this.
  12. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

Through my 2 main stereo speakers

Dude111 likes this.
  13. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

This. I was about to say " it's not up to me ! " some discs ( Criterion ) choose the center channel, others, the two fronts.

RK2249 likes this.
  14. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

I listen with 1 speaker... I prefer MONO,always have :)

15. Claus LH

Claus LH Forum Resident

Two front speakers. It is mono, but fuller and less "tunnelled" than just through my center. I never use enhancement settings for mono.

16. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

I usually listen to mono movies in mono. I have an Atmos/DTS-X setup and some months back I played From Here To Eternity with all the speakers on (7.2.4) and you'd hardly even notice until the Japanese attack. So, I'll process an occasional film.

17. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Usually (but not always), the DVDs and Blu-rays are authored to produce Dolby 2.0 for mono soundtracks. It works OK.

18. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

I use the Full Mono setting on my receiver. Uses all 7.2 channels, but orients it so it seems to be coming from the screen. Everybody in the room hears it great. Use it for mono CDs also.

19. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I've been using the "mono movie" setting on my receiver. It focuses the sound on the center speaker with some ambiance in the other four. The spouse doesn't understand why I spend so much time setting the sound for each movie we watch.

Vidiot and EddieVanHalen like this.
  20. EddieVanHalen

EddieVanHalen Forum Resident

I sometimes use the "Mono Movie" setting like Cerebus and other times I listen mono soundtracks by my main stereo speakers. I never listen to mono soundtracks using only the center channel as it sounds "narrow" to me.

21. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

The Tee Vee.

22. yamfox

yamfox Forum Resident

I only have a few Blu-rays with a mono track (all Criterion iirc) and I just use the stereo mode and pipe it through the two front tower speakers in my 7.1 setup

23. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

I've turned off all but the two amps that power my four ceiling speakers in my 7.2.4 Atmos set-up just to see what they're doing with a variety of material, including mono. Using DTS Neural X , Integra Reseach processor, on a DTS mono title, I forget which one, it was a Criterion. Well, it was hard to tell that the front speakers were off. Mono isn't what it used to be.... ;)

24. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

25. EddieVanHalen

EddieVanHalen Forum Resident

In Spain we listen to MONO

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.