Brian Wilson The Bedroom Tapes

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by spotlightkid, Jan 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spotlightkid

spotlightkid Senior Member Thread Starter

2. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Thanks for that

3. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

I never bought into the myth that he was in bed for 3 years straight, doing nothing. He just wasn't doing anything on a public level.

4. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang

Great article on something I truly hope gets released.

5. DrAftershave

DrAftershave A Wizard, A True Star

A lot of this story/period was originally brought up in the "Wouldn't It Be Nice" book.

6. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

I would truly LOVE to see a CD released from any of Brian's so-called "non-commercial" periods. Some real gems in there!

7. Dark Horse 77

A real shame that these tapes don't seem to be coming out. At least I haven't heard anything.

Psychedelic Good Trip likes this.
  8. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

How much of this stuff was actually recorded and what can we do to get it released? I would certainly buy it.

9. Dark Horse 77

You Still Believe in Me: An Interview with Brian Wilson »

Little is actually known about the “Bedroom Tapes”, which some speculate to consist of largely lo-fi recordings. A 2014 L.A. Weekly article includes an analysis of some of the treasures contained within, which up until now have been unavailable to the public. According to Wilson, that may soon change.

“Yeah, I might do that later this year,” he says when asked if the tapes might ever be released.

Calico likes this.
  10. Pim

Pim Forum Resident

Like the long-talked about rock 'n' roll album, Pleasure Island concept-album and all the other ideas Brian will confirm as working on when questioned by an interviewer. I bet if you ask him if he's thinking of doing a Rubber Soul cover-album he will tell you that'll be out later this year as well.

Lost In The Flood and bluesbro like this.
  11. Dark Horse 77

Sadly, you're right.

12. Pim

Pim Forum Resident

Don't get me wrong, I love Brian and (most of) his music - but the guy will say whatever he thinks the interviewer wants to hear, so he can get back a.s.a.p. to what he loves doing: watching TV, walking the dogs, sleeping, playing some piano. And who can blame him at 74.

13. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Well, I think it's a little different when you're talking about an archival project for recordings that (presumably!) exist somewhere, as opposed to potential projects that he's long spoken about but which have never actually born fruit. There remain a lot of old treasures in those vaults and hopefully we'll continue to see that stuff dribble out over time. I'm not holding my breath, mind you, but we'll see.

14. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

Some legendary titles that are mentioned as far back as David Leaf's book. Some of them, like the Sail On Sailor tape of Brian telling Van Dyke Parks to hypnotize him to make him not be crazy are probably lost forever.

It's a shame Jack Reiley has passed, as he was around for one of the band's more interesting periods.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.