Who invented punk rock?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mother, Dec 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

But that's John Lydon doing the commercial, not Johnny Rotten.

My point being that these are being done by solo artists, not as members of punk bands. The Sex Pistols didn't do a butter commercial.

2. quakerparrot67

quakerparrot67 Forum Resident

i remember telling a punk friend exactly that back around 85 or so and getting kicked out of his house for the day.

cheers,
    rob

eddiel and DamageCase77 like this.
  3. quakerparrot67

quakerparrot67 Forum Resident

'qt jone and his sex pistols' was when they first hooked up with mcclaren- to tie them in with his shop, 'sex' at least from what i have read

cheers,
    rob

4. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

The Who, imho.

The sound, the attitude... it's all there on the debut and the singles surrounding it.

5. Sprocket Henry

Sprocket Henry Forum Resident

Eno - "Third Uncle"

quakerparrot67 likes this.
  6. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

As I said, McLaren invented the mythology of punk.

7. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

A lot of people are wandering all over the place with this but I think your post comes closest to being accurate it.
    Sure, there are all kinds of 'punky' tunes going way back, but none really start sounding truly 'punk' in the modern sense till Iggy/Stooges/New York Dolls and even then that's not punk to me. The Pistols, Damned, The Clash -- that's getting punk in my book.

8. Matthew B.

Matthew B. Scream Quietly

The "Kutie Jones and His Sex Pistols" shirt is from the autumn of 1974, by which time McLaren was managing the band, but sbardc's broader point is right ― the band existed before McLaren came around, though they weren't yet calling themselves the Sex Pistols.

9. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

The Monkees

10. Matthew B.

I've seen that argued seriously by some people here, on the basis that both the Monkees and the Sex Pistols covered "(I'm Not Your) Steppin' Stone."

11. broccolid

broccolid Trickologist

12. hello people

hello people Forum Resident

Jack Kerouac

:righton:

Purple Jim likes this.
  13. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

Don't forget Minor Threat.

quakerparrot67 and Matthew B. like this.
  14. Matthew B.

And Johnny Thunders.

15. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Matthew B. likes this.
  16. king charles the third

king charles the third New Member

In society since the beginning of time there has always been an undercurrent, underclass, rebellion, objectifier

So I will go with Mozart as the first known geezer to upset the applecart in music.

In the 20th Century I will say Punks origins started when White women started dancing with Black guys in Jazz clubs & White guys wanting that drive & candour Black guys had. Dangerous times in narrow minded days so these brave men have to be admired. Jazz Be Bop, Blues , Rock n Roll very exciting to a post war world .

Who were those White guys who wanted the swagger Mojo ? Elvis , Lennon, Jagger , Iggy, Plant etc etc.

Combine this attitude adopted by unconfident men with feeling like a misfit then there's an extra dimension . Joey Ramone would have had a sad life but was given an outlet. There's was once shy awkward John Lydon who got fed up with his lot & changed his appearance in 1974. Paul Cook saw the guy in Malcolm's shop & Malcolm knew he was the right guy to front a competent rock band with Rod Stewart Faces swagger. Only a couple months earlier Midge Ure could have said yes to the Pretty vacant position of being QT Jones position as front man.

Ramones...truly excellent but the Pistols had that genuine football/skinhead/thug element that the USA lacked & besides the USA punk scene never hit serious mainstream success in their home turf & to this day Iggy/Dolls/MC5 are better known in Europe .

You guys certainly made up for it by having the best underground Punk Rock scene of the lot from 1977 onwards.

17. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

If punk = juvenile delinquent, you are correct sir.

18. Tanx

Tanx Forum Resident

Everybody, go listen to "Raw Power," and then come back and change your vote to Iggy and the Stooges.

They made inarguably punk music with an inarguably punk attitude years before anyone else. "I Wanna Be Your Dog" came out in 1969!

The MC5 comes close, but I think Iggy's persona clinches it for the Stooges.

19. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

It sounds like an Eddie Cochran riff to me, not that there's anything wrong with that.
    Another testament to Marc Bolan's influence (he was a childhood Cochran acolyte).

20. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Too many psychedelic guitar solos from The MC5 and Stooges - something that was a no-go area for any punk band. They were hard rock bands.

21. Matthew B.

Yeah, I was just looking back at that thread. I'd linked to a really interesting Jon Savage piece on the history of the word punk as applied to music. His site is gone now, but the article is archived here:

jonsavage » Punk etymology »

Purple Jim likes this.
  22. Phasecorrect

Phasecorrect Forum Resident

Malcolm did bring in Rotten and for that alone he should deserve massive credit. He also solidified a practice space, etc. Cook and Jones did exist as a musical unit before the actual Pistols with Jones as a the vocalist. Have u heard a Jones solo album? Oh dear.

23. scottp

scottp Forum Resident

Robert Johnson

24. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

The MC5 were fantastic musicians, which they took pride in. The only thing punk about them was their attitude. The early Stooges were much more of a punk ethic. As for solos, plenty of early bands used them if they could figure one out. Generation X, Siouxie/Banshees, Adverts, etc, Buzzcocks...yep all had great guitarists that put together some great licks.

25. Matthew B.

The Professionals (i.e., Cook and Jones with some friends) managed a pretty good album with I Didn't See It Coming. No question that it would have been better with a talented singer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.