Who invented punk rock?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mother, Dec 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boyo

boyo Forum Resident

The lineage traces back to the Who. Here is the Who --> Stooges linkage.

Asheton grew up in suburban Detroit and had a fascination with rock & roll and Nazi Germany from a young age. "I didn't have a lot of friends," he said in the punk oral history Please Kill Me. "I'd wear SS pins to school and draw swastikas all over my books." One of his few friends was future Stooges bassist Dave Alexander, who took Asheton to England in the mid-1960s where they saw the Who play at the Cavern Club. "It was my first experience of total pandemonium," he said. "Never had I seen people driven so nuts — that music could drive people to such dangerous extremes. That's when I realized, this is definitely what I want to do."

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/the-stooges-ron-asheton-remembered-20090106#ixzz49bsCLaOo

2. Phasecorrect

Phasecorrect Forum Resident

He did bring in Rotten which speaks volumes. An integral component.

sparkmeister likes this.
  3. BroJB

BroJB Large Marge sent me.

For my radio show some years back, I did a thing where I'd take a genre and trace its roots and influences as far back as I could. For most everything, the usual answer was "19th century field hollers"

But for punk, all roads led back to Link Wray. Ground zero right there.

Then you get to the Wailers/Sonics/Raiders, on to the Velvets, then the MC5, Stooges, Dolls and the whole thing erupts with the Ramones.

lonelysea and trumpet sounds like this.
  4. BroJB

The other big influence on the Stooges was Jim Morrison. Not musically, but Iggy is quite upfront about how Morrison's stage presence influenced his own. Morrison definitely had a punk "f you" attitude onstage before most anyone else.

trumpet sounds and Dudley Morris like this.
  5. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

And Morrison got some of his moves from Gerard Malanga when he saw a Velvet Underground EPI show in LA.

Dudley Morris likes this.
  6. BroJB

Makes sense.

What Morrison brought that was new, though, was a sense of onstage danger and unpredictability that became a cornerstone of punk. taunting the audience, wandering offstage, exposing himself -- that was pretty out there for being just a couple years after bands wore matching suits and bowed after songs. Belligerence was something quite new.

ralphb likes this.
  7. pickwick33

pickwick33 Forum Resident

Who invented punk? Any random frat- or garage-rock band from the sixties. Can't pin it on one person, but I can point at an entire subgenre...

8. ralphb

I think that exposing himself thing is just urban myth, doubt it really happened. I agree with you about Morrison's unpredictability being a huge punk influence, but the aural and visual violence of those early V.U. shows, and their influence, cannot be understated when it comes to punk.

Last edited: May 24, 2016
    BroJB likes this.
  9. Phasecorrect

Phasecorrect Forum Resident

He also ushered in a new type of star that would be copied for eternity: black leather pants, shades . Bono, Micheal.Hutchinson to name a few. There have been variations since: 70s punk added the biker jacket, 80s La metal added tattoos. However, Morrison perfected the foundation.

10. No No No

No No No Active Member

Eh, musically most of it's in early Who and Kinks and they came fairly close to the attitude too.

11. quakerparrot67

quakerparrot67 Forum Resident

the pistols also covered 'whatcha gonna do about it' by the small faces. the original brit-punk look always did remind me of mod street urchins....

cheers,
    rob

12. ralphb

[​IMG]
    Gerard Malanga circa 1966.

Dudley Morris and quakerparrot67 like this.
  13. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

Yup, Or Eddie Cochran.

14. BroJB

No doubt, guys like Cochran and Vincent had a lot to do with teh attitude and the breakneack speed side of things. Wray is where the guitar sound begins. In fact, you can also trace heavy metal and hard rock back to him for the same reason.

Scopitone likes this.
  15. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

The MC5 has the advantage of releasing stuff before the Stooges ever did. This charming little tune here dates from 1968. I'm not sure if I would label it punk or avant garde... ;)

16. RubenH

RubenH Forum Resident

I would not have believed this is from 1964 - - amazing.

17. BroJB

Yeah, the Sonics were the real thing. In fact they still are. Saw 'em last year and they tore the roof off the place.

And they weren't just punk sounding -- they wrote hard-edged, nasty lyrics that would have fit right in with the 1977 crowd. Dig this one -- it's about a guy literally condemning his girlfriend to hell. The "he" in He's Waiting is Satan.

18. devildavid

devildavid Forum Resident

The Ramones

RonW likes this.
  19. Colin Allstations

Colin Allstations Forum Resident

Radiohead, with the album 'Pablo Honey'

20. RonW

RonW Forum Resident

Well they had to have talent right? I mean give a listen...

I say The Beatles!

21. Koma

Koma New Member

MC5 & The Stooges.

22. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

Wow, that's pretty impressive given it's vintage! :thumbsup:

trumpet sounds likes this.
  23. RubenH

RubenH Forum Resident

I take it they never made it onto Ed Sullivan

24. Michael McGuire

Michael McGuire Active Member

The British youth of the mid 70s invented it as an expression of dissatisfaction due to high unemployment rates in the sub 25 crowd.
    The style or first group. .. I think it has to be British and post 1974 or 75.
    M

Dave Decadent likes this.
  25. BroJB

Actually, to my knowledge there's no existing footage of them performing. Only when they reunited and started playing recently had the vast majority of human beings even seen them moving and with instruments in their hands.

However, one person who definitely did see them and was a fan was one Mr. James Hendrix. He was a regular when they played at the Spanish Castle and the Sonic's LPs were found in his record collection after he died. Listening to the guitar tone on the Sonics take on Louie, Louie, one can see that young Jimi may have been taking notes:

Check out starting around 1:20 No one on earth sounded like that in 1964 except these guys

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.