Who invented punk rock?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mother, Dec 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael McGuire

Michael McGuire Active Member

2. BroJB

BroJB Large Marge sent me.

From a social standpoint, you can go back earlier and find the MC5, who had both the proto-punk sound, attitude and social consciousness (including class consciousness, as they were very much a working-class band). The Brits put their spin on things, but they didn't invent that, IMO

3. DrZhivago

DrZhivago Hedonist

The Silver Beatles.

before Epstein de-punk them.

4. chahooa

chahooa Forum Resident

God, who knows... MC5, Stooges, Dolls...

5. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

Al Gore.

While he was taking some time off between college and inventing the Internet.

mtvgeneration, blehman and DrZhivago like this.
  6. Matthew B.

Matthew B. Scream Quietly

I suppose I should be surprised no one's making Calvin Coolidge jokes.

Exit Flagger and lbangs like this.
  7. RubenH

RubenH Forum Resident

Very raw, true. I know the Kinks had a solo in 64-65 or so - I can't remember exactly which song - that had a similar hard sound, but yes what you posted must have shocked people back then.

8. Matthew B.

Matthew B. Scream Quietly

"I Need You"?

quakerparrot67 likes this.
  9. RubenH

RubenH Forum Resident

Maybe... I'll have to dig though the bonus tracks on the 2011 deluxe Kinks and Kinda Kinks, but what you got there is definitely 'raw'

10. Larry :tiphat:

11. Stosmens

Stosmens Well-Known Member

Syd Barrett's Pink Floyd.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  12. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

Arthur Sultan after the Ouija board table -tapping weekend in Bognor.

13. Hardy Melville

Hardy Melville Forum Resident

Punk had a number of different influences, and some early influences can be called proto-punk or some similar term. But I don't think you had an identifiable genre until the Ramones came along, at which time they nailed it. They were not a mix of punk with other genres, like say The NY Dolls and glam rock, although I do think the Dolls were a huge influence.

Another earlier influence imo clearly was The Who, with even their look, the loudness, the barre chord progressions. But they obviously did not define the genre, and mixed in a number of other elements and genres. They were quite simply not about being punk rock.

Among contemporaries in the NY scene, Patti Smith came close in defining the image and attitude, but imo the music itself was more a combo of Dylan influence and straight ahead rock. Which is what she stuck to even after punk became a defined genre, and not to her discredit, like her awesome cover of Do You Want to be a Rock and Roll Star? That's not punk. Blondie, Television, Talking Heads just in NY alone had overlap with the style. But they were also a mix with others.

The band that comes closest to the basic style after the Ramones was the Sex Pistols, and then the Clash. But the Sex Pistols were if anything TOO basic. And did not in any event come before the Ramones.

When the concept punk rock comes into my head, the first thing I think of is The Ramones. So there's that as well.

lbangs likes this.
  14. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

My uncle Bob.

Dave Hoos likes this.
  15. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Bob Geldoff ? No.

16. BeatleJay

BeatleJay Active Member

These guys:

17. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

I went with Iggy & The Stooges

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  18. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

As usual with these sorts of questions--no one. It evolved gradually, in bits and pieces.

danielbravo likes this.
  19. danielbravo

danielbravo Senior Member

I've always thought that we will never really know.

Surely some garage band that we still do not know and surely forgotten. Some guys who nobody gave credit. There are so many musicians who can have the credit for creating punk rock? I definitely do not think so.

Many unknown (obscure and liile know) bands of the 60s already had some punk rock characteristics that we heard in the 70's.

Like these guys:

Punk is rock with the raw sound of the streets and that has no owner or patent

Many of the ones mentioned here were also influences to consider, but none can be singled out as the one that invented punk.

And who really cares? :evil:

20. danielbravo

danielbravo Senior Member

London ?
    New York ?

No one can define it with precision, I believe that both scenes were born almost simultaneously, with different sonic, aesthetic and sociopolitical elements.

Dave Decadent likes this.
  21. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

No, Bob Horowitz.

Dave Hoos likes this.
  22. Deaf_in_ LA_1974

Deaf_in_ LA_1974 Forum Resident

I dont believe it was any of these.

A critic probably started it.

Surely tho the Iomi thing with the two finger barre chord helped any misfit who could count to four be able to play guitar, how come Iomi not on the list

zen likes this.
  23. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Forum Resident

They invented the punk
    [​IMG]

24. samthesham

samthesham Forum Resident

Fugs in 1965-1966 they were the most abrasive controversial anti everything group of misfits to grace the entertainment industry at that time.Add to that a literacy of the far left coupled with a strong background for real communism& a abundance of shock value and you have made a perfect punk cocktail. Born in the hotbed of anything goes 1960s Greenwich Village you have the IMO premeir punk band of all time.True pre-historic punk if you will.All this and real Beat poets to top it off.There you have it folks.Remember punk was/is a attitude not just music.That being said the electric Fugs 2nd album is punk rock in its purest form.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
  25. Wombat Reynolds

Wombat Reynolds Jimmy Page stole all my best riffs.

because plenty of "punk" guitar playing, depending on how you define punk, didnt use two finger power chords - and the "Fact" that Iommi invented that, is debatable anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.