Oppo's Facebook page announces UHD 4K player: UDP-203*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by IAMBLEST, Jun 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IAMBLEST

IAMBLEST Forum Resident Thread Starter

From the Facebook page:

"Today we're interrupting Fan Friday to show you this photo. In it, you see the OLED screen of our upcoming UHD 4K player lighting up for the very first time.

So, yes... the OPPO Digital UHD 4K player is, in fact, coming soon. "

[​IMG]

2. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

Complete OPPO fan here. Thanks for posting OP. Great stuff!

Mike Campbell and IAMBLEST like this.
  3. scotpagel

scotpagel Forum Resident

Can't wait. Will need to get a 4k projector as well. Wonder if I should sell my 103d now for max money. I won't have my movue theater back up for another two years at least. Naw!probably keep it for another room

4. vinyl_puppy

vinyl_puppy Der Weaselschnitzel

This will probably be my first 4K player, and first Oppo product. :edthumbs: Oh no I'll have to upgrade my entire system as well. The horror! Curse you fate! :winkgrin:

Emperor5353, Kristofa and Guss2 like this.
  5. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

From my perspective OPPO is a disruptor in A/V technology right now. I own a 105 spinner and a set of the PM-1 phones. Anything this company comes out with is worthy of consideration from my perspective,

6. ctgregory

ctgregory Forum Resident

I really hope this one supports Amazon Prime...I use that all the time, along with Netflix.

7. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I'd hold on to the 103D at least till Oppo releases their 4k players. I think the value will be just as high at that time as Oppo players hold their value quite well :).

Bill

8. skriefal

skriefal Senior Member

The sooner the better. I'd like more choice than the Samsung UBD-K8500. And preferably something a bit less "flimsy."

9. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

"Flimsy" is not available in Oppo players.

Kristofa, Nostaljack, Simon A and 3 others like this.
  10. IAMBLEST

I'll keep my modwright oppo 105D as my digital stereo front end and will get one of these for my home theatre for sure.

I don't think there has been an oppo product released in the last few years thst I don't own. Will grab a sonica and one of these for sure.

11. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

Guys, please help me understand what I am missing here. I own a Pioneer 9th generation 60" plasma screen TV (an Elite Kuro). The PQ is amazing, however, the recommended seating distance to be able to resolve 1080P is 8 feet. I have checked this out for myself and 8 feet is correct if you want to see all of the detail that 1080P gives you. The same formula that accurately gives 8 feet for 1080P on a 60" screen says that to resolve 4K on a 60" screen you have to sit four feet from the screen! :rolleyes: So it seems to me that 4K is just for home theaters that have projectors and very large screens. What am I missing here??? :confused:

fluffskul, LeeS, scobb and 3 others like this.
  12. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

Maybe not THAT much.........:)..............but there's still a bit more to overall PQ than just pixel count!!!

Personally I hope my "tiny" KRP 500M lasts ANOTHER 7 years!!! :cool:

And very happy with my 1080P OPPO 105 too!!

May have a look at UHD in a few more years...........IMHO it's still too soon!!!

BUT........

If you are in currently in the market for an affordable, "future proof", truly great, cutting edge UDP that ALSO does great stereo..........

THE NEW OPPO SHOULD BE A "NO BRAINER"!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited: Jun 4, 2016
  13. Heavy Music

Heavy Music Forum Resident

Is it not true that Oppo also announced somewhere that this next generation 4k player will also not support some earlier disc formats (maybe dvd-a, SACD, etc?)
    If the new UHD 4K player does not support the previously supported formats, including either or both dvd-a or SACD, I will continue to monitor the availability of the
    BDP-105D to purchase before it becomes unavailable new because 4K video quality means less to me that reduced disc formats playability.
    Please chime in here with any information you might have about my concerns, Thanks.

ted321, gregorya, BeatlesBop and 5 others like this.
  14. IAMBLEST

No one knows anything yet. This is their first actual confirmation of a new 4K player.

Even without a 4k screen I'll get one of these for video playback only. I'll still use my modwright 105D for music.

I really hope they make it region free from the get go...

15. seaisletim

seaisletim Forum Resident

Anyone venture to guess the MSRP on this unit?

16. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

I agree 112%.

17. skriefal

skriefal Senior Member

Indeed. But it is available from Samsung. :)

SandAndGlass and Donniej like this.
  18. cyclistsb

cyclistsb Forum Resident

Heck, I would be happy with just a media player device...no physical media to insert...just a video and audio streaming from wireless or attached storage. I think less than 1% of my playback is using physical media these days.

19. rainspainplain

rainspainplain Forum Resident

"To put it as simply as possible, high-dynamic range (HDR) expands the range in which your TV creates light. Bright parts of the image can get much brighter, so the image seems to have more "depth" and realism. Wide color gamut , for its part, expands the range of colors your TV can create, deeper reds, greens, blues and everything in between.

These two improvements, available only on high-end 4K TVs for now, can do more to improve picture quality than mere resolution ever could. Of course, those TVs also require HDR and wide-color TV shows and movies to take full advantage."

20. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

Atmos and DTS-X....yeah, I agree that the visual element will be wasted on even most UHD TV's. In the future, the best audio may be more prevalent on UHD-BD's.

21. Funky54

Funky54 Coat Hangers do not sound good

I'm waiting it out... When OLED and 4K are one and available in a 75-80" for under $2200. When that happens I'll change over to 4K until then I'll keep my 105 and 60" 1080p plasma.

22. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I also own a 9th gen Kuro Elite, 60". As well as a 55" Samsung 4K TV, where I occasionally watch 4K content from DIRECTV, Amazon, Netflix and YouTube. Yes, the 4K resolution is not very noticeable at most domestic screen sizes, and seating distances. I think the real experience begins at 80", and/or closer than 8ft away.

23. scotpagel

scotpagel Forum Resident

For this new player, I hope they still have 7.1 analog outputs.

24. IAMBLEST

Id say around $1500 usd.

fluffskul likes this.
  25. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Where did you hear this? I highly doubt Oppo would stop offering a complete universal player with 4k playback. When Oppo introduced the 83 with Blu-ray playback they didn't drop any disc formats. What makes Oppo standout in the disc player market is producing high quality universal players with outstanding service. If Oppo did drop disc formats from their players it would be a mistake IMO. Maybe Oppo will also offer a player that doesn't have SACD/DVD-A playback along with a few universal players (113/115?).
    I'd say the "113" would be around $500-600 and the "115" would be $1300-1400. Of course I'm totally guessing on the model numbers :).

Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.