New Line Magnetic 508ia Integrated Amp

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by GoldprintAudio, May 20, 2016.

1. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident Thread Starter

Some great looking gear in those photos!

SandAndGlass likes this.
  2. Sonico

Sonico Well-Known Member

Believe me, I was feeling like a child visiting Santa's shop during Christmas when I took these pictures.
    Every audio show on Earth is a nice event to attend, but an audio show in China is something else! The concentration of highly amazing gear is intoxicating!

SandAndGlass likes this.
  3. Billion$Baby

Billion$Baby Forum Resident

Thanks to Taylor at GoldPrint for my new Toy!! Honorable mention to Ian in NY for starting me on the road to Line Magnetic Madness :)

[​IMG]

SandAndGlass, IanL, Rolltide and 3 others like this.
  4. Benjamin Reed

Benjamin Reed Well-Known Member

It has got its own pallet, impressive.

5. IanL

IanL Senior Member

WOW. Craig, I can't wait to hear your impressions of that awesome amp. You jumped in head first!!

SandAndGlass and GoldprintAudio like this.
  6. bajaed

bajaed Forum Resident

Hurry up and unpack it!

7. Billion$Baby

Gotta get speakers for it first. Its for a VERY small room (Converted dining room)...not my main system. Just made an offer for some Falcon's LS 3/5A's which should be a good match. Somebody with the LM 518 said they sound terrific together.

IanL and martinb4 like this.
  8. martinb4

martinb4 Forum Resident

I'm in a small converted dining room, for my main setup :D:D

Billion$Baby likes this.
  9. HugoBoss

HugoBoss Member

can someone tell me how much is the lm 508ia cost
    very nice looking amp with big watt set 48watt far more then enough

10. Billion$Baby

List is 4995 I believe. Approx $500 more than the 518

11. deanB

deanB New Member

When the 508 is used as a power amp, are either the 6sn7 or 6sl7 redundant from an operational p.o.v?

12. HugoBoss

HugoBoss Member

Thanks , can you look at the tube is it like any ordinary shuguang tube or shuguang treasure or tj full music tube. are the 300b and the 805 tube gold plated pin

13. GoldprintAudio

$4995 is correct. I've not pulled any of the tubes to look at the pins, so not sure if they are gold platted or not (and I just sold the unit I had in stock so I can't check it). I believe the 805's are Shuguang however (not the treasure).

14. Sonico

Sonico Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finally I had some time to listen to the 508ia, the 219ia and the 518ia. All three in the same room with the same speakers (a pair oz Zu Soul).
    To make it short, I start by saying that the 508ia is now my favorite one.
    The 219ia is without a doubt the top of the line (and most expensive) giving us more detail and soundstage. It's more "musical", more refined. It is also more soft and smooth and that is the reason why I prefer the 508ia over the 219ia.
    The 219ia is amazing for a certain type of music that I don't play very often; jazz, warm female voices, big bands, some rock... But when I compared both playing faster and heavier material, the 508ia amazed me more. The dynamics, the bass, it's all there in a way that I found more vivid. More "alive"!
    Regarding the 518ia (the one recently reviewed in Stereophile), it's a fantastic amp but gets forgotten once the 508 starts playing.
    Taking in consideration the low prices in here (Hong Kong) compared to the rest of the world, the choice is not so much a financial decision, but mostly a matter of preference. And I think I really prefer the 508ia over the 219ia.

Strat-Mangler, Stump, james and 4 others like this.
  15. Billion$Baby

Glad to hear your review. Its about time I made the RIGHT Choice the 1st time around!

GoldprintAudio likes this.
  16. HugoBoss

HugoBoss Member

very nice pictur iam sure this is my next year amp . btw what kind of the fuse that lm 508 use
    is it slow or fast blow fuse, how many ampere. iam a fuse believer iam using hifituning and later upgraded to infinity version 3 platinum in my cayin amp.

17. Richard Austen

Richard Austen Forum Resident

I would like to add that the black finish is really a lot nicer in person than any of the photos I've seen of them.Tube amps are in a world of their own - each one doing something better at some things and not as good at doing other things. The 219IA is a very good all rounder but it doesn't match what my OTO Phono SE does in certain areas. Just as a 300B or a 2A3 will make strides where big output tubes suffer. Ideally, I'd own every output tube type for each of their flavours. In a real way it's like arguing which is better - Chocolate Chip Mint Versus Rum and Raisin from the same maker (Hagan Daaz) when most of the ingredients are the same but the flavour isn't. I like both flavours but some may hate both and some will gravitate to either.

Dear OP - if you can answer the following it would be great. At some point I intend to move back to North America - do you know if the voltage can be changed on these amplifiers. The HK rep here doesn't know - with Audio Note the dealer just has to re-solder the wires on the transformer - they say is a five minute job. I would like to know if this can be done on my 219IA. If it can't then I'll need to sell the 219IA before coming back to NA - if it can I can ship it back by boat. If any of the LM experts can answer that would be a great help.

Sonico - nice photos of Hit Audio. Last time I was there they only had one Zu Audio so hopefully this is a recent picture as I'm not a big fan of Vandersteen speakers. Frankly I wish they kept the ATC speakers because the ZU (other than one model) sound too bright to me - even on tube amps.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  18. Bassline Junkie

Bassline Junkie Active Member

I'm afraid I just can't swing to the black finish. It almost seems apologetic, like it's trying to blend into the background. Much prefer the gold and silver finishes. I still wouldn't kick the LM508 out of bed though!

19. Sonico

Sonico Well-Known Member

As Richard says, the black finish is really beautiful. By the time I decided to take some photos I was already in a rush to leave the place and go home, so the pictures turned out of poor quality. I personally enjoy a lot the gold and white of the 518ia, but the 508ia looks really great in black!
    Regarding general quality and virtues, again I must agree with Richard; it's almost like choosing between flavors of the same ice cream maker. If I could I'd take more than one model with me! Having to choose, according to my personal tastes in sound, I prefer the 508ia over the other models.

Answering Richard: I was at Hit Audio last week (Monday, the 13th). Unfortunately the big ATCs weren't there anymore. I got used to those big speakers in the room... They had the ZUs, a pair of Vandersteen and some other bookshelf speakers. I listened to the amplifiers through the ZU Soul Supreme and I loved it! Again, it's a matter of favorite flavors (that's why I bought a pair of ZUs a year ago).
    Another nice item they got there (one more object of desire that I'm trying to get under the Wife acceptance...) is the Nottingham Analogue Spacedeck. I love that turntable!

I won't be buying soon. And until I decide to pull the trigger I still have to go to my favorite audio shop in Guangzhou.

20. GoldprintAudio

I'm not sure about the voltage swap (sorry). If you know the LM distributor in HK, perhaps they could help?

21. GoldprintAudio

And like mentioned above, the black looks GREAT in person.

22. HugoBoss

HugoBoss Member

how many ampere the standard fuse used in this amp is it slow blow or fast blow 5x20 or 6.3x32
    can someone zoom on the amp back side want to see cleary
    thanks

23. It's D Tubz

It's D Tubz New Member

I was considering the LM 518IA but I'm glad I took the time to do some research before jumping in and the 508IA with the added power has gotten me thinking. I've never heard an 845 or 805, just hear that the 845 are magical on the Acoustic Zen Loudspeakers. Would you consider the 845 and 805 signature to be the same with more impact and dynamic going toward the 805, other than that do they both have that spacious luscious with depth, separation and hall effects of the event?

Any new updates on sound quality to those who have purchased the 508IA after break-in?

Thanks,
    It's D Tubz

SandAndGlass likes this.
  24. GoldprintAudio

There have only been 5 508's to make it into the US so far, so not a lot of people have heard them yet here. But in the limited time I had with them (I sold 3 of the 5), it does seem to have more dynamics/impact. Soundstage depth/width/height is very good on both. I really did not get a ton of time with the 508 to know for sure if it's overall soundstage is better, but I donthink the 508 is killer integrated (of course I think the same of the 518 as well).

25. It's D Tubz

It's D Tubz New Member

Thanks for your reply and the 508 is definitely on my short list! Will check in regularly for possible updates... Do these tubes run hotter than KT88 amps?

:thumbsup:

Last edited: Jul 26, 2016