Daredevil - Netflix Original Series

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Dr. Pepper, Apr 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

But, but, it's a comic book adaptation ! Damn you for not liking that stuff! Don't you get it? ;)

Honestly, I think it's an honest criticism to be taken back with the supernatural stuff as the first season showed very little (if any) of this aspect. It was more of a gritty, violent affair with little of the other worldly stuff. I think it's okay to criticize aspects of a show that you liked initially but feel took a turn for the worse. I think it's kind of funny that people get angry when I don't like or get what they do. It takes all kinds.

Honestly, after this season, I don't see this series going anywhere good, but I reserve the right to judge for myself and if I don't like it, well, I'll say so.

Deesky likes this.
  2. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

That's exactly why I liked season 1 so much (and I didn't know anything about the comic at all). It was purely character driven with terrific performances all around. Season two started off great, in a similar vein, but quickly devolved into splintered narratives that mostly weren't compelling and by the end I was losing interest.

In general, I'm not a fan of fantasy/mystical/supernatural type stuff, unless there's more underlying substance there. That is why I went into DD season 1 with some caution, but was pleasantly surprised how good and substantive it was.

In fact, for the same reasons, I resisted watching Game Of Thrones when it first came out - medieval sword, sorcery and dragons - ugh! However, over time I'd read many good things about it and heard positive comments from friends and so gave it a try. I loved it! Not because of the dragons and magic and zombies (my least favorite aspects, actually), but because there were so many great characters and some stunningly smart dialog, along with tactical plans and schemes, etc. That's what I watch for.

Mr. H and GodShifter like this.
  3. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

I enjoyed Jessica Jones more overall than Daredevil, but I think both shows are far superior to anything else superhero related on TV. I'm also a lifelong fan of supernatural stuff, so that element of course didn't impact my enjoyment. They are just starting to dig into that element so I'll see how it develops in The Defenders mini-series.

I do admit hating anything remotely sword & sorcery however. If a film features orks, hobbits, faeries, wizards or any of that stuff there's a 99% chance I'm going to hate it. Demons, devils, witches, vampires, werewolves I'm cool with. I started GOT but the subject matter just doesn't interest me in the slightest. I do like dragons and giant monsters however. :D

GodShifter likes this.
  4. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I feel exactly the same. It's like you wrote this post for me :).

Initially I was VERY reticent to read the books even though my friends highly recommended them. The sword & sorcery angle turned me off big time. After reading the first 3 novels, I was won over by the lack of magic and the lack of overall stupidity due to the fantasy element. It was a good story flat out. The series on TV has maintained that, overall, but the story is having some problems now with more of the magical element coming into play.

Last edited: May 25, 2016
    Deesky likes this.
  5. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I think the Jessica Jones series was far superior to the DD series so far. That said, JJ has only one season under its belt. Let's see where it goes with season two.

6. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Finally started watching Season 2.

Good casting with Jon Berthal as Frank Castle. Lot of blood this season.

7. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

[​IMG]

daglesj likes this.
  8. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Yeah...where do you recruit all these endless ninjas from? The pay and medical must be really good!

9. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I don't do Netflix, and have been waiting for these to come out on disc. Still no commercial release! I found someone on ebay selling DVD sets of the second season that were released and sent out for consideration for Emmy awards. I snagged one, very reasonably priced and it arrived yesterday. Very nice book style packaging, four discs. I started out on the first disc and have watched three episodes. Found it very easy to start off in the second season. Excellent picture, good sound. Enjoying the series. I noticed they are also selling similar sets for Jessica Jones on ebay so I ordered one of those yesterday. If only the first season of Daredevil would come out on disc! It these are released on Blu-ray I'll definitely buy them. . . .

Mr. H likes this.
  10. Lonson

The Season 2 DVD promo set looks like this:

[​IMG]

11. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

The cool thing, though, is that they can do double-duty as a hedge:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Simon A and daglesj like this.
  12. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Finished the season last night.

I thought the Punisher stole the show and can't wait for his own series to come out!!

Elektra didn't do a whole lot for me.

13. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

We just watched episode 10 last night, so 3 more to go. So far, I have to agree that Elektra's a big disappointment. I don't know what it is, but I just don't find her believable as the assassin she's supposed to be.

I'm not a huge fan of Jon Bernthal due mainly to his character on Walking Dead. As Frank Castle, however, I think he's excellent.

The best scenes of the season so far, though, are the ones with Kingpin. Just awesome stuff there by D'Onofrio

14. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

Finally finished season 2!

Excellent DD, Punisher, Karen & Foggy! And Kingpin stole the show!

Electra, however was a real letdown.

15. Lonson

It's the opposite for me. I'm only 7 episodes in, but I've never liked the character of the Punisher, not in the original comics, not in any film adaptation. . . . And though he's best here, I still wish he weren't in. I think Elodie Yung is an excellent choice for Elektra, and doing a good job, and I like the spin they've put on the character.

Tree of Life and GodShifter like this.
  16. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I've never liked the Punisher, either. I never connected with the character this season and never liked him in the comics. Too one dimensional, and too boring.

I liked Bernthal's performance, but found the character boring.

17. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

The Punisher isn't in season 1 and he will be spinning off into his own series soon, so probably won't feature very prominently in the next season of Daredevil.

18. Lonson

The actor did a bang up job. He played a part in defining the limits Daredevil will go to, and in making Foggy become stronger and Karen taking some initiative, it was a nice story line, but for me the season got going when Elektra showed up.

FVDnz, Vidiot, davenav and 1 other person like this.
  19. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

It's funny because for me, the season really started to go downhill when Elektra (and the ninjas, etc) showed up. I liked the Punisher scenes, Kingpin, Karen and Foggy. Daredevil himself, was also a letdown from season 1.

Dr. Pepper likes this.
  20. Lonson

We're all different, I often differ with your opinions in shows.

21. davenav

Maybe it's just me but I could only understand about 25% of Elektra's dialogue.

When the guy asked her if he heard a French accent - I actually yelled at the TV like an embarrassing uncle, "No, you don't!"

22. Lonson

I understood all she said. She's a pretty amazing woman, even has a master's degree in law. I thought she is a great choice for Elektra. She has 15 years of acting experience, including action films.

23. davenav

I'm glad you understood her. I had a real problem with her dialogue, much of which was whispered, which didn't help.

I would turn the volume way up during her scenes, the action would kick in and my speakers almost blew - several times!

24. Lonson

I appreciate the dynamics myself and hear it all fine. . . .

Come on Season 3.

25. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

This season was a almost total let down

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.