What happens to all the returned vinyl to Amazon?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by trackstar, Jun 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trackstar

trackstar Forum Resident Thread Starter

Many on this board have had complaints about noisy pressings and send them back to amazon. Are these lp's destroyed? re-sealed?

I know in retail, vinyl is non-refundable - but is there an enormous warehouse of returned lp's that will never be sold again simply because of the lp's failing to meet unrealistic expectations of audiophiles?

2. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

3. kokishin

kokishin Forum Resident

They put a Frys' sticker on them. :tsk:

The Beave and Sax-son like this.
  4. DamageCase77

DamageCase77 Well-Known Member

Unrealistic expectations??? You mean like not wanting a super warped record with scratches across it when you pay close to double the price to get an album on vinyl.

5. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Re-sealed and re-sold for the less picky customers

6. seventeen

seventeen Forum Resident

Yeah, no unrealistic expectations when you see the prices.

A regular new vinyl was 9.99 in the mid-eighties, while an import, rare album would be around 15 bucks, inflation adjusted.

You could have some bargains at 5.99. Now consider the price of new vinyl now, it's anywhere from 19.99 to 29.99 or more. For that price, the vinyl needs to be spotless quiet and the sleeve pristine mint. But, you still have countless new pressings that sucks. They should be bargained I hope at 5.99 or less. Just worth for the object.

lightbulb likes this.
  7. Alternative4

Alternative4 One of These Days I'll Get an Early Night

My bet is they just get re-sealed and resold.

8. tremspeed

tremspeed Well-Known Member

I don't think they reseal them. Enough people (here, for one) would figure it out, and if people are being picky enough to return them as defective they are just throwing money away if odds are good it will get re-returned. I've gotten some warehouse deals and they aren't resealed (not records though). They might have a deal with the distributors for credit, since they're a big enough customer.

9. OneStepBeyond

OneStepBeyond Senior Member

10. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

I would think that they would be resealed and resold. There are too many people who will take whatever they get. The very bad ones might get returned to the manufacturer.

11. richierichie

richierichie My glass is always full.

Definitely Warehouse Deals, I have a system..........;):cool::D:cool:;)

lightbulb, The Beave and tmtomh like this.
  12. jmpatrick

jmpatrick Forum Resident

Most new LP's have hype stickers on them. No way that Amazon re-seals the returned records then puts a new sticker on them.

13. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

And not everyone just makes a slit in the shrink wrap. I'm sure many people tear it off completely, especially if it's a gatefold. I think they either just trash them, or return them to the manufacturer who trashes them. I'm sure Amazon gets credit of some kind. I can't believe they'd be eating those returns 100%.

Mr. LP Collector likes this.
  14. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

:yikes:...becomes a variation of soylent green?

15. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

OK, it shows how long it's been since I bought a new LP!

16. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

9.99 in 1985 money is over 22 dollars of today's money. The records are the same price adjusted for inflation.

WMTC, loudinny, Johnny Ryall and 8 others like this.
  17. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

People here have returned records for having dust or fingerprints on them, or when the vinyl is discolored.

Shaddam IV, hiddman, tmtomh and 2 others like this.
  18. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

How are people supposed to complain about how things were better in the past if you go introducing facts into the discussion???

19. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

Employee garage sale?

20. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Don't worry, they will find a way.

21. Moray

Moray Forum Resident

I've got a few warehouse deals with 'damaged' covers where I can't actually find the damage (and I'm fairly fussy). My favourite was getting £30 off the Codeine - When I see The Sun vinyl box because it was damaged; there was a 1" tear in the shrink wrap, and no damage at all to the box, I kid you not! Apart from the tear it was still sealed, and all mint.

tmtomh, ubiknik, Devon and 3 others like this.
  22. McLover

McLover Senior Member

That $5.99 slab of vinyl to $9.99 slab of vinyl adjusted for inflation costs closer in reality to $29.99. Be mindful of that. For years, LP prices did not keep pace with inflationary times.

23. They likely sell them to resellers at 30 cents on the dollar, if they can't get credit from the manufacturers. It's common practice for most retailers.

Sean and dkmonroe like this.
  24. jason202

jason202 Forum Resident

Yeah, when you consider inflation and the economies of scale, it's hard to see how all these indie labels are making very much money on new LPs that are priced in the $15-20 range. I guess they're being subsidized by CD and download sales.

25. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I very much doubt they re-seal them. They probably inspect them visually (to make sure they are not warped all to hell or visibly scratched) and sell them as open box items via Warehouse Deals. If you look at the descriptions for LP's in Warehouse Deals, many are opened and sometimes it says, "Small mark on disc" or something like that. I don't know what constitutes a "small mark on disc" because I've never bought an open item from them.

lightbulb likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.