A Christmas Carol/Scrooge

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Batears52, Dec 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Batears52

Batears52 Senior Member Thread Starter

I don't own any version of this classic Christmas story on any video format. Of all of the versions of this (how many are there?)...Alastair Sim, George C. Scott, Reginald Owen, Patrick Stewart...Which one (or two) do you think are the best to get? (I'm looking for the classic story...not something that was re-worked, like the Bill Murray film.)

Thanks!
    Dexter

2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

...every year we watch...Alastair Sim, George C. Scott, Reginald Owen versions, and the Jack Palance Western version...Ebenezer!

Pinknik likes this.
  3. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

Alastair Sim all the way :righton:

lbangs, MikeInFla, Gavinyl and 2 others like this.
  4. vinnie

vinnie Senior Member

Alastair Sim or Mr. Magoo ("Great to be back on Broadway!!!!")

doublenaught, Keith V and Beatle Terr like this.
  5. Dawson

Dawson New Member

Albert Finney gets my vote. Thank you very much, Thank you very much....

vinnie, jmobrien68 and Beatle Terr like this.
  6. rene smalldridge

rene smalldridge Senior Member

Alastair Sim. All the elements perfectly executed. Heartbreaking and uplifting. Simply a classic film. Wouldn't be Christmas without it.

Karnak, Gavinyl and Beatle Terr like this.
  7. FredCamp

FredCamp Senior Member

Yeah, mine too.

8. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

No question. The George C. Scott version is the best. My wife and I have watched it hundreds of times and enjoy it no less each time. Watch it and you'll see that no other version measures up to it. Perfect casting. Realistic sets. Great acting. Masterful direction. A Christmas tradition!

9. ascot

ascot Senior Member

I like the Albert Finney version the best, and that's the 1970 musical adaptation in case you didn't know. Otherwise the Alastair Sim version is the way to go.

Beatle Terr likes this.
  10. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

Alastair Sim for me. Michael Caine too (Muppet Christmas Carol)

CrazyCatz and Beatle Terr like this.
  11. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

I was looking for a DVD of some classic that I don't have, and in particular, White Christmas, but the B&M store I was in a few days ago only had some kids cartoon Xmas movies, and Christmas with The Kranks :(

Anyway, Alastair Sim and the other usual suspects -Wonderful Life, Miracle on 34th, etc, will get their annual spin.

12. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

The Mr. Magoo version scared the crap out of me for years when the ghost of christmas future appears. My favorite is a recorded version with Lionel Barrymore as Scrooge.

John K.

Beatle Terr likes this.
  13. reechie

reechie Senior Member

What, no votes for the version starring Fonzie? :D

Alastair Sim and Magoo here. :righton:

Other holiday watching planned, Charlie Brown, The Grinch (cartoon), A Wish For Wings That Work, the great Christmas With SCTV, and The Brian Setzer Orchestra's Christmas Extravaganza.

We've also got one of those holiday fireplace DVD's too! :laugh:

Beatle Terr likes this.
  14. Evan

Evan Senior Member

Get the 1951 Alastair Sim version. After watching it, I found myself wondering why anyone would need to redo this story. Alastair Sim is a powerful Ebenezer Scrooge. I was stunned by how good he is. So was my wife.

15. larryk

larryk Senior Member

My faves are Alastair Sim and George C. Scott. The version that came out a couple of years ago with Patrick Stewart was pretty good too, I thought. But then I'm a "trekker" so I'm a bit partial...

Luke The Drifter likes this.
  16. ZenArcher

ZenArcher Senior Member

Alastair Sim is my sentimental favorite, but I think the George C. Scott version is extremely well done. It will become a classic, IMO.

17. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

Alastair Sim's Ebeneezer Scrooge cannot be topped, and the George C. Scott overall production is as good as it gets.

The Alastair Sim version is from 1951, and to date, no really great transfer has been done in any format. I hear of a Canadian version that might be as good as, or perhaps a small amount better than the Region 1 VCI version. There are rumors of a better release perhaps next year.

I love the music in both versions, and both get played every year in our house, along with the Reginald Owen version, respectable in its own right, even with its Hollywood flourishes.

18. John Moschella

John Moschella Senior Member

I would say the George C. Scott version is the best.

Matthew Tate and Karnak like this.
  19. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

George C. Scott is a great actor. You really can't go wrong with this TV version, either. Here is some trivia from the IMDB that is interesting:

Director Clive Donner was the film editor on Scrooge [Alastair Sims] (1951).

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2014
  20. NicS

NicS Forum Resident

Agreed !!!

That version is a Christmas tradition in our house as well.

Merry Xmas

NicS

Matthew Tate likes this.
  21. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

There's no hope for anyone who doesn't shed a tear when Johnny LaRue gets his Christmas wish (the crane shot)!

Back to Scrooge - start with Alastair Sim, and then I also like the Patrick Stewart (sp?) version. Magoo too!

kevinsinnott likes this.
  22. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Alastair Sim (live action) is the benchmark. His voice only take In the animated Richard Williams short ain't bad either. Best made for TV version is the George C. Scott.

Good cartoon takes include the frequently mentioned Mr. Magoo version and Disney's "Mickey's Christmas Carol".

Regards,

23. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff

Alastair Sim all the way!!! It isn't Christmas unless I watch this in one form or another. It was a tradition in the family that when it played on tv at 12 A.M. on Christmas Eve...or more rightly Christmas morning, my brother and I watched it. Plus, for the reasons stated above, it hits on all the high points emotionally and dramatically. It's also cool to see a young Patrick MacNee as the young Marley. :)

Fans of the music in the soundtrack will be happy to know that there is a 14 minute suite of music from the movie here....
    http://www.chandos-records.com/details05.asp?CNumber=CHAN 10046

There was never a proper soundtrack release to my knowledge. Plus you get a lot of other great British film music that Richard Addinsell wrote.

24. Beatlelennon65

Beatlelennon65 Active Member

Ya know, I really should get around to watching the VCI Alastair Sim dvd. I remember one of my friends at VCI bragging about how they had the rights to the best version, but I wasnt sure if he was just happy to have the rights or if it really was the best version. I guess now is a good time to call him up and invite myself over to watch it. My favorite is the Muppet version, just watched it last night.

25. Hawkman

Hawkman Supercar Gort Staff

A friend of mine lent me his VHS copy of the animated version with Sim's voice and it was great!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.