I don't understand Dicky Betts' Greatness

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jwb1231970, Apr 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

I thought about the songwriting aspect also and it is probably a valid point. However, in a live setting Bett's was able to stand toe to toe with Duane night after night. I think that alone raises Dickey to the status of greatness.

Swingfingers, EwaWoowa and MoonPool like this.
  2. rednoise

rednoise Senior Member

Bob Dylan, too :rolleyes:

This whole thread has been the most blatant troll I have yet to see on this board.

highway, lucan_g and Rose River Bear like this.
  3. Rose River Bear

I hate to say one guitar player is better than another but to say that Bob Dylan is better than Dickey Bett's is stretching it.....even for me. :D

MoonPool likes this.
  4. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

It's crazy town. Like nuts.

5. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

I bought albums after Duane. Brothers and Sisters is an excellent album. But not, for me, because of Betts' playing.

Look, "In Memory of Elizabeth Reed", "Blue Skies", "Ramblin' Man" are all excellent tunes. If the guy is a decent guitarist, I'm not kicking him out of the band (other than for the behavioral issues he has had) because he's so good a songwriter. For me, the instrumental highlights of the ABB records were Duane, Gregg, Berry, and the dueling drummers. I'm trying to think of one instance where I say when I listen, "That's exceptional guitar work!" or "That guy's a master!" I think he's okay, is a serviceable guitarist.

I'll add Waddy Wachtel as another excellent guitarist.

jwb1231970 likes this.
  6. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

SORRY I DON"T THINK ANY OF THOSE MOSTLY FINE ARTISTS ARE AS GOOD AS DICKEY AS A GUITARIST ,Dylan ?? Paul Simon?? Two of my Favorites hardly known for their guitar playing, Stills will always be one of the best voices and is a fine Guitar player too. But I prefer Dickey,Jorma is good but I prefer the Allman Brothers to the Airplane,
    Pete is a Singer songwriter first!! Thompson is also fine

Last edited: Jun 14, 2016
  7. segue

segue Psychoacoustic Member

Have to agree on that!
    Betts is one of the greats, one of those rare guitarists you can identify by a single note!

//

8. PHILLYQ

PHILLYQ Forum Resident

Charlie Parker did not bring technical alto playing to another level- he was an artistic inspiration to legions of saxophonists, even tenor players. He was much more than a technician.
    Listen to 'Live at Fillmore East', all the guitar solos are brilliant, half of them by Betts. Listen to how he plays sterling rhythm guitar behind the Duane solos. Shame that you're a musician and you can't hear that.

davmar77 likes this.
  9. segue

Pretty good company

[​IMG]

melstapler likes this.
  10. segue

Pretty good company II
    [​IMG]

Lenny LeBlanc, Gary Rossington, Billy Powell, Jimmy Hall, Artimus Pyle, Bonnie Bramlett, Dickey Betts, Charlie Daniels, Taz DiGregorio and Allen Collins + more

Last edited: Jun 14, 2016
  11. AnalogJ

First of all, I didn't say Parker only brought the technical aspects of sax playing. Heck, I studied, dismantled, learned, and scatted his solos.

On your second point, regarding Live At Fillmore East, again, I find Betts' solos rather boring. With the longer tunes such as "Whipping Post" and "You Don't Love Me", not only do I find Betts' phrasing a bit mundane, but he doesn't sustain the ideas on his solos.

Contrast that with Duane Allman, who gets me on the edge of my seat. His phrasing is startling, and his ideas are terrific.

I listen to the album for the tunes, Gregg's vocals, Duane's solos, and the ensemble playing. Bett's solo guitar playing just doesn't do anything for me.

Relatedly, I have been doing a lot of listening to classic Blue Note albums. A lot of them have a sort of predictability to them, particularly in the late '50s through early '60s period.

But you hear a Tina Brooks and Grant Green, both who can take a predictable approach to a tune, but their phrasing and soloing are so inventive and surprising that they really elevate the albums they're on.

12. Rose River Bear

You add Waddy Wachtel into the debate?o_O Now is the time for me to say "No Mas". Sorry...but you have something against Dickey that is not rooted in musical reality. See ya.
    You are not a guitar player are you. It shows.

13. Rose River Bear

So, tell us what bebop encircling means.

14. AnalogJ

I'm not sure I can help you on that one, though. I was trying to break them down and memorize them in a class. The instructor didn't mention that one. I'm going to assume that encircling is about created patterns, which Parker did. The one I worked on most was "Now's The Time".

Rose River Bear likes this.
  15. ManFromCouv

ManFromCouv Employee #3541

Just saw this thread for the first time. Wish I hadn't.
    :wtf:

Swingfingers, VinylRob and Devon like this.
  16. VinylRob

VinylRob Forum Resident

Just goes to show ya what opinions are like... there are several on this list I wouldn't even say hold a candle to Mr. Betts playing but, that is just how subjective this argument is. Jelly, jelly, jelly :)

17. AnalogJ

Yup. Subjective. My opinion. I can't like something for you. :fly:

18. wilbur

wilbur Well-Known Member

There is a lot of greatness out there that I don't understand. Maybe one day I'll see the light.

19. VinylRob

VinylRob Forum Resident

didn't ask you to...

20. AnalogJ

Ummm...YOU didn't. True.

But it seems as if anyone who agrees with the original poster is deemed by a few as insincere, or just plain wrong.

21. Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous Doubleplus Ungood

Looks like pretty drunk company as well. :uhhuh:

22. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

There is a difference between 'liking' something and recognizing objective talent. Take Van Halen...or Joe Satriani. Personally, their playing does nothing for me. But I'm not going to be a fool and say they are mediocre guitarists...

ianuaditis, EwaWoowa and rednoise like this.
  23. AnalogJ

But I'm going to say that Dickey Betts, as a guitarist, is merely so-so. As a musician myself, I am particularly looking at his sense of phrasing, creative use of scale and harmony. It's just not all that sophisticated or interesting to me.

I asked in a prior post to point out specific examples I should look at that highlight his ability as a guitarist, particularly as a soloist. No one came forward with an example. I'll be happy to listen to them and reconsider. If I hear something that really is arresting and causes me to reconsider my opinion, I'll be happy to say I was wrong.

An example of a jazz guitarist who really surprised me recently is Grant Green. I had never heard him before. On Blue Note albums such as Idle Moments, Matador, and Gooden's Corner (or listen to his quartet's take on "It Ain't Necessarily So"), his sense of phrasing and melody is so fresh, taking me as a listener in directions that really have me sitting at the edge of my chair to follow where he's going. Duane Allman is someone I put in that category. Betts? Not from anything I have heard.

24. Devon

Devon Well-Known Member

You know, this is the kind of b.s.-thread of which there are far too many in this forum. But this one almost takes the cake.

I'm with you, wish I wouldn't know about this here.

VinylRob likes this.
  25. segue

totally agree

Last edited: Jun 16, 2016
    VinylRob likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.