Movies You Thought Weren't That Bad, That Everyone Else Hated... Or Vice Versa

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by youraveragevinylcollector, Jun 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. youraveragevinylcollector

youraveragevinylcollector Forum Resident Thread Starter

An excellent example of this to me is Hulk from 2003 is one of those movies that people hate because it was "too talky." It was a drama, not an action blockbuster. If anyone thought that 2003's Hulk was too talkative, watch the 1978-1981 series. Who else has seen a film that everyone else hated, but you?... Or vice versa?

BNell, Keith V, carrick doone and 2 others like this.
  2. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

I rarely watch movies that get negative Rotten Tomatoes ratings, but in the vice versa category:

The Dark Knight
    No Country for Old Men
    Million Dollar Baby

3. I thought Million Dollar Baby was an over wrought, predictable bad TV movie thrown on the big screen. Never understood the love for it.

On the other hand, I love The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai.

Life Force directed by Tobe Hooper is a bad, cheesy science fiction movie that I love. Space vampires? Naked woman "sucking" the life out of people? I'm there.

4. youraveragevinylcollector

youraveragevinylcollector Forum Resident Thread Starter

I don't remember ever liking that movie, but then again, I was like 8 the last time I even glanced at that movie when it was on TV. Too busy playing with Hot Wheels, GI Joes, and wrestlers to care... :unhunh:

5. Well it's an acquired taste to be sure but it's also wacky and the tone is all over the place. kind of like me.

6. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

The Lost World: Jurassic Park. It's my favorite of the franchise.

7. Yeah I don't think most people hated it. Critics maybe but not the general public.

Encuentro likes this.
  8. Kevin In Choconut Center

Kevin In Choconut Center Offensive Coordinator

"Life Force" is one I haven't seen in a very long time. One movie I really love that I am always hearing people say bad things about is "Rocky Balboa". I think it's a wonderful film.

9. Thwacko

Thwacko Forum Resident

The George Clooney version of "Solaris". Love it.
    Sahara (Matthew McConaughey/Clive Cussler)
    John Carter-flawed but fun popcorn flick

turnersmemo likes this.
  10. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Goldie Hawn's Overboard. Ending is really really dumb, but I enjoyed most of it. Russell seems to take on torturing her with such glee.

11. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Really? It got good reviews and I thought the people who saw it liked it.

Some people pre-judged it - understandably, since it sounded tiresome on the surface - but those who actually saw it seemed to approve of it.

Both critics and audience members give it a good rating on RT... :shrug:

12. Oatsdad

One pick: 2015's "Fantastic Four". I almost skipped it because of all the terrible reviews, but I like superhero movies, so I gave it a go.

I thought it started well, but I knew it'd go in the crapper eventually, right?

Nope! I won't call it a great film, but I liked it. I still can't figure out why it inspired such hate...

Simon A likes this.
  13. The remake of "The Day The Earth Stood Still". Although flawed, I enjoyed the film. It doesn't have a patch on the original but it has some really good moments mixed with really bad. Still enjoy it. Not a good remake but better than most people think.

davenav likes this.
  14. The problem is that the film is a two hour set up for a sequel and, frankly, a lot of folks disliked the changes (some from the Ultimates comic, some not). The conclusion is way too short and Doom is given way too little to do and isn't all that scary as a villain. The first half hour is pretty terrific which makes the fact that it can't deliver on the second half (it's all preamble).

It's a pity because it could have resulted in an unusual and great retelling. I wouldn't call it bad just that, given the expectations, it was a tad disappointing.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2016
  15. Matt Richardson

Matt Richardson Forum Resident

The Loneliest Planet (2011) - IMDb ยป

[​IMG]

I can see why a lot of people didn't like this film (including Roger Ebert) because nothing really happens during its near 2 hour run time. But for whatever reason I found it really absorbing and interesting. I just really enjoyed it -but based on Facebook and IMBD user reviews, a lot of people thought it useless.

16. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

17. Oatsdad

I admit it's probable that my exceedingly low expectations were a factor - I anticipated such a horrible movie that I was pleasantly surprised with what I got.

I don't think "FF" is alone in being "mostly preamble", though - that's true for an awful lot of "origin story" superhero flicks.

All I know is that I thought it was enjoyable, and it's not just my low expectations. I watched "My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2" the other day with the lowest of all possible low expectations - and still thought it was worse than anticipated! :help:

GodShifter and wayneklein like this.
  18. Lea Thompson distracted me so much I didn't realize that I had seen a movie lay an egg until after the two hours were over and I walked out. It's a so bad it's cheesy bad fun. I can enjoy it just as I can "Manos The Hands of Fate".

mj_patrick and malcolm reynolds like this.
  19. I will admit that, even though it got bad reviews, my me and my son went to go see it just to see how bad it was. I found it funny that we walked in theater and there were about 20 other people there. Turns out they were in the wrong theater. The little marquee was broken outside each theater and, as a result, they went into the wrong one. By the time they left, it was just the two of us. I could see all the flaws that critics pointed out but the set up had so much promise that the director earned quite a bit of good will which he had lost by the disappointing conclusion.

I don't think it's a bad movie by any means--just disappointing and over promises then under delivers.

I also feel that some of the actors never connected with their characters and I couldn't help wondering where the dick joke was for the Thing (a la "where are your ears" from the previous FF incarnation). I mean, he doesn't wear pants and turns into rock....and loses his *****. I'd be pissed at Reed, too. A eunuch rock man that's hard but can't do anything about it? Priceless, tasteless potential joke material lost forever...

Last edited: Jun 19, 2016
  20. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

Opposite way, I would go with "Mystic River". Can't say I hated it, but it definitely didn't blow my skirt up.

wayneklein likes this.
  21. Apparently Europeans hated Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas so much that they booed Gilliam at Cannes. I, on the other hand, think it is unmatched cinematic genius, especially on a technical level.

As for "vice-versa", i've pretty much loathed everything coming out of Hollywood for the last 20 years, especially super hero movies, despite them all making a zillion dollars and having release dates before a script is even written.

22. You're not alone--that's why the Criterion DVD and Blu-ray sold so well.

Not one I enjoy all that much but clearly SOMEONE besides you loves it.

23. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

I saw it at the movies and hated it. But that was 1998, so who knows, I might pop it in now and enjoy it - it's just that I feel very little need to see it again.

Still remember all of those giant big screen acid trip closeups of Depp and Benicio, though, so I can give Terry Gilliam credit for making images that stick with you, like he does with most of his stuff!

24. Thwacko

Thwacko Forum Resident

I finally saw Fear and Loathing a few months ago and loved it. Granted, I had read the book so I knew what I was in for.

Hutch likes this.
  25. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

It's a very good movie with some stimulating ideas driving it. The action scenes are coherent and creative, especially the 'comic book panel' effect.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.