Monkees Record Store Day exclusives 2016

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JDistheone, Mar 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Original jackets. Vinyl is colored

[​IMG]

rstamberg and JDistheone like this.
  2. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

That's cool. I love that pea colored vinyl matches the jacket!

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  3. radickeyfan

radickeyfan Forum Resident

still playing this , still loving this

yellowballoon likes this.
  4. warleywarrior

warleywarrior Forum Resident

A sealed RSD vinyl box was listed on EBay Uk last week...Thrill of Thrills I received it this morning... End bid... $45!! Plus $9 postage...(Uk price £31 + £7 postage) Been grinning like a Monkee all day.

5. vinylbeat

vinylbeat Forum Resident

Anyone received or heard anything from Rhino about a replacement copy for "Instant Replay"?

6. Daveymoore

Daveymoore Forum Resident

Nothing since their original reply.

7. MagneticNorthpaw

MagneticNorthpaw Senior Member

I sent Dr. Rhino an email the other day as it had been a month since my last update - I had an incomplete box (two copies of MOTM, no bonus disc). He said he had "ordered in replacements for this box set" but had yet to receive them. I'm assuming he was only referring to extra copies of the various titles that people didn't get because of the dupes issue in certain boxes. Others received multiple copies of HQ or The Monkees, as far as I've heard.

Honestly, I'm more excited about getting the bonus disc, which I'll play more frequently than I.R. with or without "The Girl I Left Behind Me." :D

I would assume we are at least a few months out on the I.R. repress because of the backlog at pressing plants. Getting Good Times! pressed and released by August is probably paramount in Rhino's mind right now.

8. Jane Scranton

Jane Scranton Forum Resident

There seems to be over-kill on this whole Monkees vinyl want. I understand the aethetic of collecting old LPs and 45s that were pressed thebest[hard to know till they come along to you].. and the search is frustrating, or could be. Did not the L.A. studio musicians Wrecking Crew do all the playing on those albums?..I'm not sure on all that but am curious.

9. Jane Scranton

What are they stalking them for, in your observation and opinion ?I can think of various things here but ... just curious, thanks.

10. Jane Scranton

The 'LOL' code should be .. outlawed. Period.

11. yellowballoon

yellowballoon Senior Member

Answer is no. Don't always believe everything you hear without taking sometime for yourself and check the facts. Otherwise, the people in the know, see you coming from a mile. Kind of the same idea as to being asked to use SEARCH first in the forum. Just a tip.

12. Jane Scranton

When you say 'answer is no' are you referring to the Wrecking Crew that I am commenting about or are your assuming that I believe in things in which ..etc.etc.[???]

13. Jane Scranton

Your question speaks volumes of stupidity for those working on that product. It begs a question too: can pre-meditated type-o errors (or say, by accident) be an excuse for collectors to quickly buy and take note of and then speak about them in Forums just like this thread.. thus increase the value of the vinyl even further ..just because?:shtiphat::uhhuh:

D-rock likes this.
  14. Jane Scranton

Good question. Theyshould roll -off more vinyl of this set , correct the song problem being discussed here.Perhaps it would become a 'better hit' this time around,drop the price just to rattle the cages a little bit ..

15. Jane Scranton

Good question. Perhaps there will be more folks asking this and compare each vinyl versions of the differences ,either here or on another thread.

16. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

To answer that question: No, The Wrecking Crew didn't do all the playing on The Monkees albums...

Bobby Hart's Candy Store Prophets (along with Louie Shelton and Wayne Erwin) played most of the stuff on the debut album, songs he and Tommy Boyce also produced... Nesmith used the session guys on his stuff though & he utilized Tork on some cuts from the initial recording sessions as well... "More of..." featured quite a few songs that were actually recorded in NYC, so they didn't utilize Wrecking Crew players on those cuts, and the Boyce & Hart produced songs and Nesmith's stuff from "More of..." utilized the same players as on the debut LP...

"Headquarters" was almost entirely The Monkees, with the exception of the bass being played by producer Chip Douglas and the horns on "Shades of Grey" weren't the guys either, but the rest was... "Pisces, Aquarius..." was also played by The Monkees, again with Chip Douglas on bass and this time they used Eddie Hoe on drums (Micky only played on two cuts from the "Pisces..." album-"Cuddly Toy" and "Door Into Summer")...

From "The Birds, The Bees, and The Monkees" onward, most of the stuff on those albums used the west coast session players, but Nesmith still played guitar on a lot of the cuts he was recording/producing, and Peter Tork played guitar on the tracks he wrote/produced for the HEAD album (as well as other cuts recorded during sessions he produced, but most all of that stuff went unreleased until the "Missing Links" compilations started...)

Last edited: Jun 23, 2016
  17. Jane Scranton

Thank you very much for saying that !!...one of the very positive aspects of this Forum that many can benefit from :D.
    I'm looking at the 'More of The Monkees' colored vinyl, fantastically done.My Mono copy of this Colgems want a spin this morning but... I have a pesty right-chnl output annoyance and have not ascertained that the problem is from either the TT or my funky 1979 TunerAmp.:mad:..it comes and goes...wish I was an electrician with skills to fix.Thanks again, for the information.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  18. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

You're welcome...

19. I understand the need for civility, but this is not the tone I want to take in regards to AQ to my favorite band, who've an expansive discography and a worthy complier such as Sandoval. The Beatles and The Monkees should be standard bearers in terms of audio quality, not a shoulder shrug at careless mistakes. (Notice the common complaint about Monkees on vonyl or CD being too bright?)

These bands have a devoted fan base almost always making their respective companies (a lot of) money, therefore they should do things with the utmost care. And someone like Sandoval's input shouldn't be dismissed.

20. Probably not. But they could certainly be mastered less brightly. At the very least. And I certainly would appreciate if they treated this catalog of music (which they've made a ton of money off of) a bit better, rather than shrugging it of as, "It's just The Monkees." I happen to think their records are worth some TLC. Classic writers, classic players, classic producers. Not seeing why that isn't cause for better care.

John Bliss and Grand_Ennui like this.
  21. Well I now have both recent boxes. The Mono set is superior and I don't really love the later albums much anyway. I do like Head though which I guess is not later but only stereo.

John Bliss likes this.
  22. Jane Scranton

Same with me , it's almost like it makes you crave to enjoy a hot steamin' cup of the split-pea soup while you are listening to Your Aunty Grizelda ..and all those fabulous Saturdays and Sundays of my early 1970s.:waiting:

John Bliss and chacha like this.
  23. vinylbeat

vinylbeat Forum Resident

I own both box sets as well. I really enjoy listening to them, preferring the mono's for the early LP's. You really can't beat the nice quiet playing surfaces on these new reissues. My original Colgems copies are in pretty decent shape and play excellent. But I actually prefer the wider dynamics, with deeper bass found on some of these new re-issues. Especially the mono's.

John Bliss and Mazzy like this.
  24. xmas111

xmas111 Forum Resident

Got an email yesterday from Dr. Rhino saying they have the corrected replacement vinyl and should be shipping it soon.:pineapple:

D-rock likes this.
  25. vinylbeat

vinylbeat Forum Resident

Finally! That's great news!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.