Almost Famous or Rock Star ?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by ronm, Dec 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

The "I am a Golden God" thing comes from Robert Plant, but he wasn't standing on a roof about to jump off. He was on a balcony at the Riot House and he was joking.

This photo was taken just as he said it.

[​IMG]

2. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

The Sunset Riot! The older building to the left, the white stone building, is the St. James Hotel (originally and now called the Sunset Tower), with the famous Tower Bar on top.

I think Cameron Crowe weaved together some interesting fact and fiction into the script. Clearly, if he had told the real names and the real stories, he would've gotten his ass sued. As it was, he changed just enough of the story to not get anybody upset.

I can recall reading some of Cameron's articles in the Rolling Stone in the 1970s and being stunned to find out he was still a teenager. He was precociously talented, for sure.

3. JETman

JETman Forum Resident

Let's not get too crazy. His notes in the first LZ box (crop circle) were incredibly flaccid.

4. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

It's not my effing job... ;)

carrick doone and LEONPROFF like this.
  5. ronm

ronm audiofreak Thread Starter

Rock Star is more racy and fun.

Jimmy B. likes this.
  6. Hexwood

Hexwood Forum Resident

Almost Famous, it's not even close, everything about it is perfect - the cast, the music, the dialogue, the style, the direction.

[​IMG]

7. Pastle

Pastle Forum Resident

Saw them both, AF is certainly the better movie, but have no desire to see either one again.

buzzzx likes this.
  8. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

[​IMG]

I particularly like the line he says right after this...

"I'm Always Home...I'm Uncool"

Darryl

9. videoman

videoman Senior Member

Both movies have their charms. Both hit some right notes. Both have things about them I don't care for. One is from the perspective of the nerdy young music fan who gets to see the rock world from inside, the other from the perspective of an actual musician who gets a taste of fame.

AF is a the better film in that "which is more likely to get nominated for an Oscar" sort of way. Most of my musician friends prefer RS because that more accurately tells the story from their POV. They can't relate at all to the nerdy wannabe writer kid.

10. t-man 54

t-man 54 Forum Resident

I always thought the Rock Star idea was cross between Ripper Owens finally getting to sing with his heros coming from a
    Judas Priest tribute band and Bruce Dickinson leaving Iron Maiden when he wasn't allowed to bring his own song compositions
    to Iron Maiden because Steve Harris was the only writer. There is a scene in the film where Mark Wahlburg wants the band to record his songs he wrote
    and the leader of the fictional band says "there is only one writer in this band."

In regards to Almost Famous, i think i would have preferred Cameron Crowes actual events
    made into a movie.

11. I haven't seen Rock Star, but I don't think I need to.

Almost Famous has Frances McDormand and Phillip Seymour Hoffman. Rock Star has Marky Mark and Jennifer Aniston. No contest.

blind_melon1 likes this.
  12. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

I have a difficult time imagining anything more cringe-worthy than watching a fictional version of yourself losing your virginity...while seated next to your mom.

Unless it's watching an actual film of you losing your virginity...while seated next to your mom.

I enjoyed the commentary, but I hope he does another one at some point in the future where he names names.

LEONPROFF and carrick doone like this.
  13. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

I've only seen Rock Star once and I enjoyed it. Pretty funny I thought. Jason Flemyng is a hoot in that movie.

Jimmy B. likes this.
  14. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

I enjoyed it as well, though I haven't sought it out again. Almost Famous is one of what Quinton Tarintino dubbed "hangout movies", ones you watch just to enjoy the company of the characters.

And it was the film that made the distinction between a cover band and a tribute band clear to the general public.

15. GeoffC

GeoffC Forum Resident

The use of Tiny Dancer perfectly captures the 'collective' enjoyment of music.

carrick doone and LEONPROFF like this.
  16. He made every movie he was in a little better, sometimes a lot better.

17. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Doesn't the late scene on the airplane with the very bad weather seem like it was lifted directly from the final Seinfeld episode? Where everyone is making some kind of confession. That was the scene that ruined the tone of the movie for me.

It was like Crowe was not sure of an ending and just cut and pasted on a grand one from a big hit tv show. I can't believe I am the only one who noticed this lack of originality in an otherwise original feeling film.

18. LEONPROFF

LEONPROFF Forum Resident

I could be wrong but I thought the airplane scene actually happened.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  19. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

The airplane turbulence scene actually happened to Crowe in real life, when he was a Rolling Stone freelance writer back in the 1970s. But he changed the name of the group and the circumstances for the movie.

Hands-down, Hoffman's scenes were the highlight of the movie for me. It's more shocking when you learn that the actor had the flu and a 102° fever when most of those scenes were filmed.

20. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Hmm... Tough one. I'm going to have to go with Almost Famous.

21. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

What she said

22. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

I didn't see Rock Star. Almost Famous is good but overrated, IMO. My main complaint is that I never for a second thought the band in the movie was a "real one." In the Jeff Bridges movie Crazy Heart it felt like his character and the others had been playing music for ages; not so for the actors playing the band in AF.

23. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Right, we are told that they are good and the leader is brilliant but we never get to see any brilliance, none at all.

Monosterio likes this.
  24. sloaches

sloaches Forum Resident

I happened upon Almost Famous for the first time tonight on one of the movie channels. I wish I had watched this sooner. Great movie, and soundtrack!

LEONPROFF likes this.
  25. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

like them both...no preference.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.