Petition launched to reintroduce Technics turntables (Update: The SL-1200 is Back!)*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by englishbob, May 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. missan

missan Forum Resident

It will depend on how good the design of the TT is to begin with. It will improve on some, on others it won´t do anything. But to say it will generally be an improvement to move the power supply isn´t logical.

2. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

Nevertheless, it made a big difference on my SL1210. Also I would say, it's a difference any one with normal hearing would be able detect.

3. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

Moving dc away from your cart isn't logical?

4. missan

missan Forum Resident

No, it´s only logical if moving it away will have some influence.

PhilBiker and Ghostworld like this.
  5. SpudOz

SpudOz Forum Resident

Looking forward to your review once you have it all set up and running!!

SamS likes this.
  6. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I asked my dealer to check with Technics to verify if the 1200GAE ships with a headshell, here is the response:

"The SL-1200GAE does come with a headshell, but it does not have an azimuth adjustment. [The Technics rep] went on to say if you don’t want to invest in a one of the well respected German headshells, he prefers the basic Ortofon headshell if you are using their cartridge."

I suppose it's similar to what used to ship with basic SL-1200s?

7. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

The Sumiko is fully adjustable

8. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

You bet. I candidly admit, I'm a novice when it comes to turntable setup. I understand all the basics, it's just not something I do regularly.

Any tips/suggestions on how to setup a SL-1200 style turntable are appreciated. A while ago, I did buy this USB microscope, but I haven't fooled around with it yet. I planned on following Fremer's guide, assuming I can get the microscope working. I do have a level, stylus gauge, and a few other odds 'n ends at my disposal.

9. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

So would you consider a Sumiko HS-12 a "must have"? I've already blown my budget for this month, so please no one recommend a Fozgometer :D

56GoldTop likes this.
  10. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

Nope - not needed. It is nice if you need more mass like for say a dl103 - and of course has all the adjustments. Mine is sitting in a drawer and not being used at the moment as I'm happy with the standard new M5G type factory headshell - which I have two - one on the table now sporting a Grado Ref Master just wonderfully.

You will be fine with the stock headshell - get a different one later down the road and only if needed.

Good luck with the new deck!

SamS likes this.
  11. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

The little alignment tool provided should be sufficient. That is how I align my carts

12. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

Fine, anything but the 1200!

13. 56GoldTop

56GoldTop Forum Resident

I do lots of things that seem illogical to others. I'm good with it. :D

I realize your question was rhetorical (I don't think everyone did). ;)

I'm good with removing the AC transformer from the interior of the chassis of a 1200MK2. It's a good idea, in my not so humble opinion (IMNSHO).

Nielsoe likes this.
  14. missan

missan Forum Resident

As soon as we do something, or say something, this will be logical to some and illogical to some. That is just normal life, we can´t do much about that.
    In many cases though there is an absolute understanding of what is logical, and what is not. We can´t invent what is.

15. 56GoldTop

56GoldTop Forum Resident

...and knowingly placing a potential source of EMI contamination in close proximity to a cartridge (since we're not talking strain-gauges) is one of those things that does not make logical sense... Now, I could invent logic that says it does; but, I won't.

Rolltide and Nielsoe like this.
  16. missan

missan Forum Resident

Sorry but that is just a straw-man argument, I didn´t say that. I said it´s logical to move it if this will have an influence.
    I haven´t personally seen that, and I have measured both situations.

That doesn´t mean I have an opinion on if someone moves the transformer or not, I just didn´t find it interesting for myself, as I found no significant difference.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2016
    PhilBiker likes this.
  17. 56GoldTop

56GoldTop Forum Resident

Yes, everyone's got an opinion. The older I get, the more I think my opinions aren't anywhere near as important as I think they are. Experiencing someone else's situation/gear is far more meaningful.

18. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

First 'tables should probably be arriving at West Coast customers today or tomorrow? Anyone else expecting one?

19. No but post some pics when you get yours! Remind me, what phono pre are you using?

20. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

PS Audio GCPH. Probably a weak link, but I like the connections and adjustments it provides.

21. oregonalex

oregonalex Forum Resident

I have one on pre-order. Nothing yet, but I am not at the top of the list with the dealer (#3 actually).

22. That's certainly not a weak link--some good phono preamps have come out of PS Audio.

23. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

You might want to reach out to Robert @ Value Electronics. Mine actually shipped today, earlier than expected. Should be here Saturday :)

It has served me well, but I often long to hear what a tube-based phono-pre would do for my system.

Aftermath likes this.
  24. oregonalex

oregonalex Forum Resident

Just got a call from the dealer. Mine is shipping today, too!:goodie:

56GoldTop, Nielsoe, 2xUeL and 3 others like this.
  25. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Baron Von Talbot likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.