Help me find the right Kinks compiliaton

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jason Manley, Jul 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jason Manley

Jason Manley Senior Member Thread Starter

As I understand it, this particular compilation is very highly regarded. It's the same track listing and (maybe) the same mastering as the one you reference. It's just about damn perfect as far as a track lineup goes.

[​IMG]

Instant Karma and mds like this.
  2. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

As far as I know, Vic Anesini mastered The Essential Kinks. I am a big fan of his mastering.

But I do not yet own the collection to confirm.

SOONERFAN likes this.
  3. GerryO

GerryO Senior Member

I have both of them and neither one sounds particularly great to me, but they might also be the truest to the original recordings.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2016
  4. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

He's credited with mastering, but in this other thread there is speculation that he tweaked the work of others:

The Essential Kinks »

5. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

Nope, not the same track listing and not the same mastering. The Greatest Hits sounds better.

6. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

I listened to the Kinda Kinks cuts from the Deluxe Edition vs. Essential and they were pretty close sounding, but were a tad different. It does seem more likely this is not a new transfer of the Pye cuts, but likely using the Deluxe Edition digital mastering as a base [am I correct Legacy only got the RCA albums, those seem more likely to be new transfers as evidenced by Muswell and Everybody's In]. I don't know enough about how these things work but I assume there is some tweaking Anesini could do from the Deluxe edition digital masters.

They do come out a tad different on the DR front, with Tired of Waiting For You being the more noticeable difference in loudness and maybe a tad of eq; Nothin' In This... I'd have a harder time picking them out in a lineup.

DR7 -0.01 dB -9.59 dB - Essential: Tired Of Waiting For You.m4a
    DR5 -0.10 dB -7.12 dB - DE: Tired Of Waiting For You.m4a

DR9 -0.10 dB -11.71 dB - Essential: Nothin' In This World Can Stop Me Worryin' 'Bout That Girl.m4a
    DR10 -0.14 dB -12.27 dB - DE: Nothin' In The World Can Stop Me Worryin' 'Bout That Girl.m4a

7. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Kinks comp-wise, this is the one on CD as far as I’m concerned. Sounds great, and the stuff that should be in mono is mono.

[​IMG]

8. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

9. mds

mds Forum Resident

I just bought this PRT CD however the rear cover does not look like this. The rear is simply black with with letters. The front cover is an ugly black and pink square within a square. The inner square which is pink has a blue circle that reads "Kinks, Greatest Hits". The following is on the disc itself: PRT, CDKINK-7251, Made in France by MPO. All cuts are mono and I think sounds great. Just found it today used and the cost was $4.98, and they threw in The Dandy Walhols Welcome to the Monkey House for free. Great day hunting for used CDs, bagged two for the price of one :pineapple:

GerryO likes this.
  10. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Pye Golden Hour, sorted.

11. yesteryear

yesteryear Wild Honey Laureate

12. Adam9

That Kinks CD is pretty well acknowledged here as the best-sounding of the Pye era stuff. I love mine.

13. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

He sure did. Listening to my just rec'd copy, and as usual for KG, the bass is good and strong. :pineapple:

Tommyboy likes this.
  14. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

Amazing compilation!
    Been playing it again lately.
    Great stuff. Loud, but unobtrusive, it just sounds right.

15. dbone828

dbone828 Only Visiting This Planet

It's hard to argue with The Ultimate Collection. I find most Kinks compilations are missing key songs, but this one contains the major hits and then some.

Man at C&A and bhazen like this.
  16. jimjim

jimjim Forum Resident

[​IMG]

If you can forgive that it stops at 'Days' (i.e. no 'Lola' or 'Victoria'), it's a perfect collection of all the UK 45s in mono from 1964-1969. Essential.

17. BroJB

BroJB Large Marge sent me.

We've gotten this far and no one's mentioned one of the greatest compilation albums ever? This is a masterpiece:

[​IMG]

Victoria
    The Village Green Preservation Society
    Berkeley Mews
    Holiday in Waikiki
    Willesden Green
    This Is Where I Belong
    Waterloo Sunset
    David Watts
    Dead End Street
    Shangri La
    Autumn Almanac
    Sunny Afternoon
    Get Back in Line
    Did You See His Name
    Fancy
    Wonderboy
    Apeman
    King Kong
    Mr. Pleasant
    God's Children
    Death of a Clown
    Lola
    Mindless Child of Motherhood
    Polly
    Big Black Smoke
    Susannah's Still Alive
    She's Got Everything
    Days

18. Adam9

It's a fine collection but just be clear it's missing the UK singles "Everybody's Gonna Be Happy" and "Set Me Free" as well as the 2 pre-"You Really Got Me" records.

19. 926am

926am Senior Member

Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
    jneilnyc likes this.
  20. dbone828

dbone828 Only Visiting This Planet

Great songs, but I can't recommend it as a starter compilation since it only spans 1966 to 1971, omitting major hits from 1964-1965 ("You Really Got Me," "All Day and All of the Night," "Tired of Waiting for You," "Set Me Free," "See My Friends," and "A Well Respected Man," among others).

John Fell likes this.
  21. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

OP, if you're still in a market for a Kinks compilation that meets your conditions, this might be up your alley.

[​IMG]

bhazen likes this.
  22. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

It's good but it misses all of their earlier hits.

Tommyboy and dbone828 like this.
  23. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I like this one as well.

dbone828 likes this.
  24. sunking101

sunking101 Forum Resident

Some of the reviews on Amazon say that it sounds shrill and horrid. Goes against what's said here.:confused:
    I'm looking for a great sounding Kinks comp. I hate thin/shrill/zero bass/bright etc recordings...

25. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

Get the Kinks Anthology box set.
    It’s a great intro to PYE era Kinks.

sunking101 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.