New Record Label: Intervention Records

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by chosenhandle, Aug 6, 2015.

1. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Just out of curiosity, what was the digital master format of the Everclear? If it was DAT or open reel, would you first transfer that into a DAW and actually do the cut from hard drive? Thanks.

IR Shane likes this.
  2. IR Shane

IR Shane Forum Resident

UMe doesn't make the format differentiation, so their titles are just not available during the life of the Plain deal, is my understanding.

Gabe Walters likes this.
  3. IR Shane

IR Shane Forum Resident

From my website: Mastering Notes Everclear’s Sparkle and Fade was captured on analog master tapes, but never fully assembled in the analog domain. That means choosing the final mixes, sequencing, crossfades, etc. was performed only in the digital domain, which in a real sense means no analog master exists of the final album. Universal archived the original tapes in high-resolution digital and supplied IR with flat 24-bit/96kHz files for compatibility with Cohearent Audio’s 24-bit capable Pacific Microsonics D-A conversion system and what notes were available regarding which files contained final mixes, sound effects, crossfades, etc. Cohearent’s Kevin Gray and IR’s Shane Buettner then spent painstaking hours running down the title comparing the files to the original Capitol LP to ensure final mixes and sequencing, crossfades, sound effects and properly space the time between tracks. - See more at: Intervention Records | Albums »

John Bliss, Plan9 and Pinknik like this.
  4. Satchidananda

Satchidananda Forum Resident

AtlTrav, RobCos02330, Crush87 and 2 others like this.
  5. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

Yeah, and terrible products! That really sucks. They've been butchering those albums for close to a decade.

John Bliss likes this.
  6. DPM

DPM Senior Member

I'd love to have these on SACD, but vinyl would do in a pinch.

Jane's Addiction - Ritual de lo Habitual
    Jane's Addiction - Strays
    Red Hot Chili Peppers - One Hot Minute
    Ambrosia - Ambrosia
    Col. Bruce Hampton & The Aquarium Rescue Unit - Mirrors Of Embarrassment

art likes this.
  7. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

I think White Ladder would sell well.
    Along those same lines, both Damien Rice records from the 2000s (O and 9), especially the former. Neither released on vinyl. Individual singles were released on 7", and those currently start at $30 and up in the secondhand market. And due to the nature of the recordings, I think both Gray and Rice own their masters outright, which could (?) simplify things.

I'd also love to see good reissues of the Jane's Addiction records Nothing's Shocking and Ritual de lo Habitual... The current reissues are pretty bad digital transfers. But WB probably won't give those up.

I think your chances of scoring the Tool rights are about 1,000,000,000 to 1... But go for it anyway! The worst they can do is say "no" like they have to everyone else for nearly 20 years...

drfindley and IR Shane like this.
  8. jimhb

jimhb Forum Resident

The Church- Priest = Aura. I would like to see what someone with talent could do this lp.
    Pulp- Different Class
    Jesus and Mary Chain- Darklands

DHamilton, googlymoogly and IR Shane like this.
  9. Robin Trower would be an instant purchase.

The big kahuna would of course be Bridge of Sighs, but almost anything would be great. Victims of the Fury would be killer, as would BLT, with Jack Bruce.

IR Shane likes this.
  10. IR Shane

IR Shane Forum Resident

I went and done some digital. Stealers Wheel 1 is coming on a hybrid CD/SACD SOON- shipping 7/22! Ferguslie has also been cleared for CD/SACD and as long as sales look good I'll green light that one too.

Full Scoop HERE.

Tullman and Quark1134 like this.
  11. googlymoogly

googlymoogly Forum Resident

Has anyone requested any Cocteau Twins? Morphine? The Feelies? Jesus and Mary Chain? MBV would be good, as would the Stone Roses. Beck would be a slam dunk sales-wise, if his management would allow the masters to be used. PJ Harvey, too. Matthew Sweet's classic '90s albums.

IR Shane likes this.
  12. ashlee5

ashlee5 Senior Member

I just learned of this label and will try a few of their releases as they sound promising.

I only hope this label does not follow the Friday Music model (that is, benefit from Kevin Gray early on and then boot him off to allow Joe Reagoso to perform his magic).

:wave:

John Bliss and IR Shane like this.
  13. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

Yes Morphine! Their whole catalog. That's a classic band that I think many on this forum would absolutely love, but probably haven't heard. Nobody's reissued the last two albums or the B Sides compilation yet. The LITA reissue of Cure For Pain was pretty good, but it was cut from a digital transfer of the analog master and pressed at United. My first copy was crap, but LITA replaced it for me. Luckily the replacement was OK. I'd give that reissue an 8/10, but that album especially deserves 11/10 treatment.

IR Shane and googlymoogly like this.
  14. googlymoogly

googlymoogly Forum Resident

AFAIK, there's never been an analog release of "Cure for Pain"...maybe it was recorded to tape and then digitized for mixing and/or mastering?

15. Leviethan

Leviethan Forum Resident

I asked LITA about it and they said they were given a 24/96 transfer of an analog master tape.

16. Just listened to Toad The Wet Sprocket's fear & dulcinea CDs this weekend :righton:. Just saying, Shane...

On the other hand, I have difficult time listening to Joe Jackson's Volume 4 CD. Great music, yucky sound...

Those would all be super welcome on vinyl. I especially would like the JJ catalog currently unavailable on vinyl.

ChrisScooter1 and IR Shane like this.
  17. IR Shane

IR Shane Forum Resident

NO CHANCE! I absolutely love working with Kevin, and am 110% committed to doing AAA whenever the source is analog. The only time I work with anyone else is if tapes can't be released to the west coast for mastering. Such is the case with Sony titles, so with my Big Audio Dynamite release Ryan K Smith at Sterling performed the AAA mastering for me.

Simon A, Clonesteak, ashlee5 and 2 others like this.
  18. varyat

varyat Forum Resident

Another vote for Toad's "Fear" !
    ATB,
    Mark

IR Shane likes this.
  19. iloveguitars

iloveguitars Forum Resident

How about some love for Chris Rea, none of his back catalogue has been reissued on vinyl or CD.
    On The Beach
    Road to Hell
    Auberge
    Shamrock Diaries
    Gods Great Banana Skin
    Dancing With Strangers
    All of music from these releases would benefit greatly with their first ever quality vinyl reissue.
    Dave.

IR Shane likes this.
  20. I am just gonna throw out a bunch of titles for a wishlist here...

Red Hot Chili Peppers "By the Way"
    Extreme "Waiting for the Punchline"
    Lou Reed "Ecstasy"
    Elliott Smith "Figure 8" and "XO"
    Ryan Adams "Gold"
    Queens of the Stone Age "Songs for the Deaf" "Rated R"
    Frank Black and the Catholics - Really any of these titles... They were all recorded live to tape and the CD versions already sound great but I can imagine how much better they would sound AAA...
    Weezer - "Maladroit"
    Kings of Leon - first three albums

No rhyme or reason to any of these really. RHCP needs a definitive vinyl version, sourced from something less compressed (unless it's in the mix). The Extreme album is relatively unknown but has some solid tracks, Nuno shines, and the SQ would be awesome. Lou's Ecstasy was recorded at Sear Sound - would probably need a double LP treatment... Elliott has already been mentioned (but I think Plain has these titles already?)

MOFI has done one Ryan Adams title but "Gold" has the Ethan Johns production work that I love and would sound awesome on Intervention. Queens of the Stone Age - "Songs for the Deaf", the CD is so horribly compressed, a vinyl version without that compression would be a great improvement. I suspect it was done in a similar fashion to the Everclear LPs, recorded to tape and assembled / sequenced in digital domain. Frank Black and the Catholics albums would be great too, all of them were recorded live to tape with few or no overdubs. "Maladroit" I think was all digital (unsure) but a proper LP issue would be great to add to the collection. EXTREMELY underrated Weezer album... Kings of Leon got some great re-issues a few years back, but I believe were from hi-rez. I would totally double dip on the first three if they were done on Intervention.

Of note, I grew up in the dynamic range compression heyday... And I have enjoyed all the issues of albums from late 90s / early 2000s that have been re-issued w/o the compression immensely. I suspect a lot of the compression was added during the CD mastering phase, so there are LOTS of titles out there that could benefit from a remaster from the tapes or hi-rez archived files! (This is why I mentioned "By the Way", "Songs for the Deaf", "Maladroit", etc.)

IR Shane, mikemoon and Preston like this.
  21. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

I will mention, some of them have been mentioned earlier. None of these have been done by a specialty label and/or are in-print.

Red Hot Chili Peppers - By the Way...Kevin actually cut the original pressing but it was likely just the cd file.
    John Frusciante - Shadows Collide with People....This is the soul mate to By the Way.
    Beck - Mellow Gold, Mutations and Midnight Vultures....Even another Sea Change would sell out fast.
    Kings of Leon - 1st 3 albums..These are great Ethan Johns productions.
    Rage Against the Machine - 1st 3 albums...S/T spread over 3 sides would be a huge seller.
    Now for some hip-hop that would be safe
    Beastie Boys - Licensed to Ill
    Dr. Dre - The Chronic
    Snoop Dogg - Doggystyle
    Tribe Called Quest - Low End Theory
    Outkast - Aquemeni

IR Shane, Preston and Ryan_Pretzel like this.
  22. Preston

Preston Forum Resident

+1 on the Frank Black and the Catholics. I have an LP of s/t and it sounds much better than the CD.

Andy Pandy and IR Shane like this.
  23. Preston

Preston Forum Resident

+1 on the Beck, Rage and Kings suggestions! ESPECIALLY the Beck titles: they are ridiculous on the used market!

googlymoogly, IR Shane and mikemoon like this.
  24. Interesting, I didn't even know that it existed!

Preston and IR Shane like this.
  25. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

+2

Preston and IR Shane like this.