Styx are working on a new album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by drowningdeep, Jul 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drowningdeep

drowningdeep Dude Thread Starter

2. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

I enjoyed their "covers" CD from some years back, but that's the rub for me, as those songs don't need Dennis DeYoung, but when they are being "Styx" proper, I need him to be their lead singer. Same with Journey, Boston, Yes, Foreigner and on and on. I'm happy that some fans can enjoy these bands without their original lead vocalists, but for me, I just can't do it, no matter how close the new guy sounds like the old guy.

cageyc, limoges, SOONERFAN and 9 others like this.
  3. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

I'll probably get it. I have everything else so it would make the collection complete. Gowan is a great performer and to me he sounds nothing like Dennis. His last studio contributions on Cyclorama were pretty good songs but the album had quite a bit of filler on it. I agree it isn't the same without Dennis even when it comes down to production.

Probably won't create a lot of interest but I'll pick it up when and if it comes out because Larry made a similar statement last year and JY seems to think singles are the way to go in this day and age.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  4. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

HOORAY!!!

5. AlanDistro

AlanDistro Forum Resident

I haven't heard anything since Edge of the Century, but it's time I catch up before the new album is released. I have everything before EotC and enjoy the majority of it.

6. Audjack

Audjack Forum Resident

styx without dennis deyoung is just another cover band IMO

7. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

Cyclorama has some good cuts on it. It is currently out of print but there are plenty of used copies out there. You can probably find one cheap. I'm surprised there are no digital downloads of it (at least the last time I checked).

Here's a good track from it:

8. dylankicks

dylankicks Forum Resident

I saw them about a month ago and was very impressed. I was always more of a Tommy Shaw and J.Y. person anyway!

AidanB, Jamey K and Coricama like this.
  9. longaway

longaway Senior Member

They really need to pull a Beach Boys. Reunite with Dennis for a new album and reunion tour. Actually work together, instead of being children and demanding separate studios. Regain a bit of the goodwill generated by the last reunion tours, and do a very classy parting of ways. JY & Tommy get to take the current band back out on tour, supporting the Bluray of the reunion tour, Dennis gets to do his solo shows and pull together a Broadway show based on Styx/Paradise Theater/Kilroy/Whatever.

While I'd never tell someone not to record an album, I wonder if there's much more interest in a non-Dennis Styx album then there would be if I announced an album.

spsimmons and MikeInFla like this.
  10. peteham

peteham Senior Member

That's my favourite track. Live it kicks ass.

MikeInFla likes this.
  11. Joseph.McClure

Joseph.McClure Forum Resident

This could be the album of the year!

MikeInFla likes this.
  12. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

I can't say I completely agree with the "Styx albums ranked worst to best" listing at that end of the article (Styx II should be much higher!!), but it's nice to see that it's compiled by someone who actually enjoys their music instead of p*ssing on it like is fashionable these days.

mrjinks, altaeria and AidanB like this.
  13. Maestro63

Maestro63 Forum Resident

Styx without DeYoung = Jordanaires without Elvis

14. peteham

peteham Senior Member

Hey, I love Dennis and feel his departure from the band was a massive blow, but your comment/comparison is both hyperbolic and ridiculous. Tommy Shaw wrote a ton of material for that band, many of them hits. You can lament Dennis' absence without resorting to that. All opinions are not created equal.

S. P. Honeybunch likes this.
  15. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

I think I would prefer your album then the new STYX album!!! I wouldn't mind a new solo album from Tommy but the current lineup just too me isn't STYX.

spsimmons and longaway like this.
  16. Maestro63

Maestro63 Forum Resident

If they only played tommys hits it would be a half hour show. Imagine seeing fleetwood Mac with out Stevie or the Eagles without Glenn or don.

17. peteham

peteham Senior Member

That's not what I was responding to. The Jordanaires comparison is not only unfair but not based on any facts. Just a cheap shot.

18. Wombat Reynolds

Wombat Reynolds Jimmy Page stole all my best riffs.

I prefer it when the new singer sounds nothing like the old singer.

Singers dont define bands for me. The music does. If the players are great, and the songs are great, as far as I'm concerned, you can stick any good singer in their and you get good music. Deep Purple, ACDC, Van Halen, etc.

19. elborak

elborak Forum Resident

If they only played Dennis's hits, it would be a one man show, as the rest can't stand dealing with his drama.

And Fleetwood Mac without Stevie, so long as Christine is with the band? Upgrade if you ask me. I nearly fell out of my chair with laughter when South Park did the Stevie/goat stuff years ago.

20. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

STYX should deal with the drama, as it's mostly Dennis' show, even without him.

As for Stevie Nicks … "Digitally Remumbled For Stereo Inaudibility"

21. IndyLions

IndyLions Forum Resident

Bands like the current rendition of Styx and Foreigner are FAR from the original lineup, but are talented musicians. As far as I'm concerned, any band that is still out there touring and capable should do new material from time to time - even if your heyday was 30-40 years ago.

Cyclorama had some good stuff on it - especially Tommy and Gowan's stuff. It may or may not be your cup of tea, but Tommy Shaw's Great Divide album showed that there's a lot of more depth to his talent than most people give him credit for.

Foreigner's Can't Slow Down was pretty strong from top to bottom. They should do one more album before Mick Jones is just too old to record. He still knows how to write a catchy hook.

MikeInFla, Stephen J and drowningdeep like this.
  22. HenryH

HenryH Miserable Git

Thanks for the warning...

23. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

And still no Dennis? Life is too short to not be together. That would be one heck of a tour.

Prophetzong, spsimmons and MikeInFla like this.
  24. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

Fun Fact: I didn't realize the Lawrence Gowan fronting Styx was the same Lawrence Gowan who was a solo artist in the '80s, until I saw Styx perform "A Ciminal Mind" in concert.

25. cungar

cungar Forum Resident

LOL

Prophetzong, Malina and GentleSenator like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.