New York City Record Store Suggestions??

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by StevenC, Jul 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StevenC

StevenC SUEDE > Both Oasis AND Blur. Thread Starter

I'll be in New York City on Business in early August, based on my criteria, can anyone help me with suggestions on record stores?? I'll have a 6 hour window to go record shopping...

My criteria:

#1: I won't have a car so it'll have to be in the city or a short train ride away.
    #2: I like the idea of finding things like Imports and a good selection of vinyl. I think Rough Trade is a must.
    #3: I'm not a cheap bargin bin guy. I know a lot of people who think "I don't care about the sleeve, I got this great album for a dollar!" I'm not that guy. I want to go where I can potentially find a grail record if possible.
    #4: I like Indie shops and indie vinyl releases... even if new or re-issues.
    #5: I like indie rock, British or American, Jazz, old school hip hop, electronica, classic R&B and classic rock.

Can anyone help?? THANKS!

2. Dave G.

Dave G. Forum Resident

OptimisticGoat and somnar like this.
  3. djemar

djemar Forum Resident

Rough Trade is in Williamsburg, Brooklyn, so if you go there, you could hit up Academy (85 Oak St, Brooklyn, NY 11222) afterward. It's in Greenpoint, about a 10 minute walk North along the water. From there, you could head to Captured Tracks (195 Calyer St, Brooklyn, NY 11222), which is only about 5 minutes East. Those seem like your best bets, and would be no problem to do in just a couple hours. If you aren't worn out, you could also try Record Grouch (986 Manhattan Ave, Brooklyn), Co-op 87 (87 Guernsey St, Brooklyn, NY 11211) and Earwax (167 N 9th St, Brooklyn, NY 11211), also in the Greenpoint-Williamsburg area.

4. StevenC

Thanks. This is awesome. I forgot about Captured Tracks. I think I bought my SoftMoon Records from them online... maybe another band too...

5. StevenC

awesome recommendation! Thanks! Would love to find some blue notes or verve records...

6. djemar

djemar Forum Resident

Yeah, I find Captured Tracks to be good for jazz. I've gotten a bunch of early Blue Note LPs there. Another small Brooklyn shop that I've had good luck for jazz lps is Human Head (168 Johnson Ave, Brooklyn, NY 11206), but that's a little bit of a hike or a subway ride from the others I listed.

7. reverendjim

reverendjim Forum Resident

Yes, I'd definitely recommend Academy, Co-Op 87, Captured Tracks and Record Grouch. Earwax is skippable, IMO.

daveidmarx likes this.
  8. AndyNicks

AndyNicks Forum Resident

Slim pickings these days. 20 years ago you would have had a field day!

AcidPunk15, Moshe and gillcup like this.
  9. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Jazz Record Center on W26th between 7th and 8th

action pact likes this.
  10. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

How is Rough Trade?

11. gillcup

gillcup Senior Member

I went to NYC in April and that was my experience. I came away with virtually nothing of value. I had a similar experience in the Bay Area last year.

12. Moshe

Moshe "Silent in four languages."

Good luck.

13. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

14. StevenC

Sad because we have tons of fantastic record stores in California... And they're not even close to closing.

15. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

Don't forget Record Runner on Jones Street. Added bonus - the street outside the store is right where the cover photo for The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan was taken!

Tommyboy and Moshe like this.
  16. StevenC

nice suggestion...

I'm hoping to find a place where I'd have the best chance at finding my grail wishlist records. Like an original copy of Pink Floyd's "Relics", even if it's expensive...

17. daveidmarx

Forget NYC then. Either they won't have it or you'll wind up paying through the nose. Most NYC record stores charge insane prices for sup-par condition stuff (see Second Hand Rose or House Of Oldies for two prime examples). You'd be much better off searching on ebay.

Cronverc, Paully and ex_mixer like this.
  18. SEATTLE? :tiphat:

19. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

Somebody mentioned Academy records in Brooklyn, but they also have a great store in the Village at 415 E. 12 St.

Moshe likes this.
  20. StevenC

Seattle Record stores are just OK...
    I had a day to record shop and places like Amoeba in California are so much better than Sonic Boom, it isn't even close... I actually liked SilverPlatters better than Sonic Boom, but that was kind of gimmicky... too many toys and too many DVDs... The most I found was at this little downstairs basement style record store ..Neptune maybe?

21. reverendjim

reverendjim Forum Resident

bibijeebies likes this.
  22. Sonic boom is mediocre, the best are Easy St and Jive Time.

23. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I like the owner. His prices are reasonable too.

OptimisticGoat and daveidmarx like this.
  24. StevenC

Thanks for the tips...

OptimisticGoat likes this.
  25. daveidmarx

Are you a mohel by any chance? :shh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.